+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR extension for US folks affected by the 06/22 executive order

hangar1318

Nov 5, 2018
Trump signed an executive order yesterday to temporarily halt visas for foreign workers through 31 December, 2020 (https://fortune.com/2020/06/23/trump-h1b-visa-executive-order-india/ )

The problem with that is people who don't have their H1B stamped for instance cannot return to the US if they decide to travel outside the country. My H1B was renewed in December 2019 and I haven't gone to India to get it stamped ever since. In the meantime, after a lot of waiting, I received my COPR in late April. The expiration date on my COPR is 22 October, 2020. Now, even if the covid situation were to get back to normal and things opened up, I can still not land in Canada (to kick off the PR generation process) before my COPR expires because I won't have a stamp to return back to the US.

That said, even after the executive order has run its course, I would prefer going to India to get the stamp first. The last thing I want to do is go to Canada to get a stamp and get stuck there. So, basically, after December 2020, I would like to go to India first, get my visa stamped there, come back to the US and then immediately plan a trip to Canada.

I have a feeling I am not the only one on this boat. What are people doing in this case? You think if I use the web form to email them and explain this situation they will be willing to extend my COPR expiration from 22 October, 2020 until March 2021 or something?

On a side note - <rant>it freaking sucks to be on a work visa in the US. I have been here for 13 years now. I pay taxes, contribute to the economy, have thoroughly assimilated into the life and culture here. All my friends are here, I spend my 20s here. This is my home away from home for me. But life is still hell here for me at times like these. I have seen people from other countries get green cards in 6 months or less, many can't even speak English and could care less about people outside of their ethnic clique, don't give a flying f about what being an American is supposed to be all about. I feel like an indentured servant whose life revolves around his master's whims. Seriously contemplating moving back to India at some point. But for now, this is my reality and I have to deal with it. So, any answers would be appreciated.</rant>

Thank you!

liketech

Jul 9, 2018
I am posting after a long time, but wanted to quickly reply and hope it will be helpful.

If you use land border crossing to go to Canada, you can use something called Automatic Visa Revalidation (where you can go to Canada and come back without a visa stamp - just based on your I-797). Look more into it. Every time you leave US, there is a risk when you are trying to get back inside.

Canada will do a COPR extension only if due to some extenuating circumstances you can't do a landing (Canada closed border, your origin country is not allowing any travel outside and rarely if there is a major personal crisis - health/death etc).

This scenario doesn't qualify for any of these. Canada has given you a great opportunity to move here and live a life with respect (unlike the way US is treating you). Show some respect back. There is nothing stopping you from wrapping up in US and moving to Canada. You are making a choice not to do it.

Realize that your life in US is equivalent to being in an abusive relationship. For all the reasons that you mentioned - the country has chosen to keep taking advantage of you. I was in the same boat, was a successful entrepreneur and paid millions in taxes. At some point of time I realized that I have to break free and get out of this abusive relationship.

You need to make a call for your self. If you choose to continue being in US and the only reason you want to delay your landing is because there is a tiny chance that you might not be let back into US - there is no reason for Canada to accommodate that. Just like your fiancee shouldn't agree to a wedding date change, just because you still have unfinished business with your abusive girlfriend.

Being in US, you are being held back by being an indentured labor in the system. You might be worrying about potential salary cut you might need to take. But once you move to Canada, World is your Oyster. You can achieve anything and sky is the limit. You have been in limbo for 13 years. It can have a huge impact on your mental health. Now is the time to break free!

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
I am posting after a long time, but wanted to quickly reply and hope it will be helpful.

If you use land border crossing to go to Canada, you can use something called Automatic Visa Revalidation (where you can go to Canada and come back without a visa stamp - just based on your I-797). Look more into it. Every time you leave US, there is a risk when you are trying to get back inside.

Canada will do a COPR extension only if due to some extenuating circumstances you can't do a landing (Canada closed border, your origin country is not allowing any travel outside and rarely if there is a major personal crisis - health/death etc).

This scenario doesn't qualify for any of these. Canada has given you a great opportunity to move here and live a life with respect (unlike the way US is treating you). Show some respect back. There is nothing stopping you from wrapping up in US and moving to Canada. You are making a choice not to do it.

Realize that your life in US is equivalent to being in an abusive relationship. For all the reasons that you mentioned - the country has chosen to keep taking advantage of you. I was in the same boat, was a successful entrepreneur and paid millions in taxes. At some point of time I realized that I have to break free and get out of this abusive relationship.

You need to make a call for your self. If you choose to continue being in US and the only reason you want to delay your landing is because there is a tiny chance that you might not be let back into US - there is no reason for Canada to accommodate that. Just like your fiancee shouldn't agree to a wedding date change, just because you still have unfinished business with your abusive girlfriend.

Being in US, you are being held back by being an indentured labor in the system. You might be worrying about potential salary cut you might need to take. But once you move to Canada, World is your Oyster. You can achieve anything and sky is the limit. You have been in limbo for 13 years. It can have a huge impact on your mental health. Now is the time to break free!
Great answer, second this completely.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Trump signed an executive order yesterday to temporarily halt visas for foreign workers through 31 December, 2020 (https://fortune.com/2020/06/23/trump-h1b-visa-executive-order-india/ )

The problem with that is people who don't have their H1B stamped for instance cannot return to the US if they decide to travel outside the country. My H1B was renewed in December 2019 and I haven't gone to India to get it stamped ever since. In the meantime, after a lot of waiting, I received my COPR in late April. The expiration date on my COPR is 22 October, 2020. Now, even if the covid situation were to get back to normal and things opened up, I can still not land in Canada (to kick off the PR generation process) before my COPR expires because I won't have a stamp to return back to the US.

That said, even after the executive order has run its course, I would prefer going to India to get the stamp first. The last thing I want to do is go to Canada to get a stamp and get stuck there. So, basically, after December 2020, I would like to go to India first, get my visa stamped there, come back to the US and then immediately plan a trip to Canada.

I have a feeling I am not the only one on this boat. What are people doing in this case? You think if I use the web form to email them and explain this situation they will be willing to extend my COPR expiration from 22 October, 2020 until March 2021 or something?

On a side note - <rant>it freaking sucks to be on a work visa in the US. I have been here for 13 years now. I pay taxes, contribute to the economy, have thoroughly assimilated into the life and culture here. All my friends are here, I spend my 20s here. This is my home away from home for me. But life is still hell here for me at times like these. I have seen people from other countries get green cards in 6 months or less, many can't even speak English and could care less about people outside of their ethnic clique, don't give a flying f about what being an American is supposed to be all about. I feel like an indentured servant whose life revolves around his master's whims. Seriously contemplating moving back to India at some point. But for now, this is my reality and I have to deal with it. So, any answers would be appreciated.</rant>

Thank you!
The mental anguish of living on a visa takes its toll. I have a lot of indian friends in the US who are in the same situation as you. Stuck in the GC line for a decade and counting.

You must ask yourself the question, what is the price of mental peace that you are willing to pay?

P.S. I myself was on H1B and decided to leave the US. And my GC would have come very quickly. And I am glad I made that decision and moved here.

P.P.S. I noticed I didn't answer your question :p. Well, from what I understand there has to be a very good case for them to extend your COPR beyond the date they have given you. The reason that you outline doesn't seem like very pressing. If you get "stuck" in Canada then that isn't a big deal to IRCC. In fact IRCC assumes that you applied for PR because you want to be stuck in Canada in the long run.

Reactions: hangar1318

hangar1318

Nov 5, 2018
Thank you. That's helpful. I agree.

Yeah, there's no question of me not showing respect, etc. I absolutely feel grateful and respect the opportunity I was presented with. Props to Canada for that. That said, I also definitely believe it's a mutually beneficial arrangement and Canada is gracious enough as well as savvy enough to recognize and honor potential in people. Definitely an opportunity I am interested in utilizing.

As for my plans - Canada has been very clear about the conditions it honors for the permanent residency to stay in effect - "must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years". So, my plan all along was to get the permanent residence card generated by October and then make the move in 6-12 months after that. I was going to take my time wrapping things up here. Covid, executive order, etc threw my plans off a bit. I totally get it that it's not Canada's problem, and it's good to know that they won't honor extensions in my case. At least I won't waste time trying for it. I did not know about "Automatic Visa Revalidation". I will have to look into that and thanks for letting me know about it. Also, thanks for sharing your experience. It gives me hope and motivates me to leave the "abusive relationship" here as as you rightly put it and move to Canada. Yeah, totally agree that no amount of money can beat peace of mind.

Thank you again!

Reactions: smash1984

satishkota

Star Member
Jan 22, 2019

Thank you!
I am on the same boat as you. I am yet to get approved. My application is still in initial stages (AOR Feb 15th). I had my H1B extended this February and yet to get it stamped. Worst is my spouses extension bio metrics hasnt even started yet. If I were you,. I would chose to first try to get to Canada using the COPR and get that done with, without complicating the situation. I am also intending to do the same if given approval for COPR. In worst case, you may get denied entry for US based on the EO until year en. But that might get revoked meanwhile or by the year end. And you always will have a second chance for H1B. In my scenario I decided to risk status in US to go for Canadas PR.
One question to you though, you said your COPR expiry is October 24 2020. Is this based on your medical date. I saw number of people saying your COPR expiry is one year after your medicals are done. Isthis true in your case? Is itone year after the day you visited doctor to get medicals done. or is it the date IRCC processed your application and passed medicals?

hangar1318

Nov 5, 2018
I am on the same boat as you. I am yet to get approved. My application is still in initial stages (AOR Feb 15th). I had my H1B extended this February and yet to get it stamped. Worst is my spouses extension bio metrics hasnt even started yet. If I were you,. I would chose to first try to get to Canada using the COPR and get that done with, without complicating the situation. I am also intending to do the same if given approval for COPR. In worst case, you may get denied entry for US based on the EO until year en. But that might get revoked meanwhile or by the year end. And you always will have a second chance for H1B. In my scenario I decided to risk status in US to go for Canadas PR.
One question to you though, you said your COPR expiry is October 24 2020. Is this based on your medical date. I saw number of people saying your COPR expiry is one year after your medicals are done. Isthis true in your case? Is itone year after the day you visited doctor to get medicals done. or is it the date IRCC processed your application and passed medicals?
Yeah looks like my "passed the medical exam." Was indeed on on 24 October 2019

satishkota

Star Member
Jan 22, 2019
Yeah looks like my "passed the medical exam." Was indeed on on 24 October 2019
Just to make sure. The day you got medicals done is not the date but the date passed by IRCC in your application matters right? Because it makes huge difference for me as I got medicals done way before I submitted my application.

hangar1318

Nov 5, 2018
Just to make sure. The day you got medicals done is not the date but the date passed by IRCC in your application matters right? Because it makes huge difference for me as I got medicals done way before I submitted my application.
Yes the date IRCC declared "passed the medical exam" on my application. Not the day I passed the medical exam.

dehemnani

Jun 9, 2020

Is the AVR process unaffected by the travel ban issued couple of days back? Has anyone here availed that privelege ?! Please share your experiences.