+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR Expiry in August 2020. Who's on the same boat?

Maximilian89

May 31, 2020
Hi everyone,
I hope you are all staying safe and I hope things go back to normal ASAP so we can all land safely.
My CoPR expires mid of July and I was meant to land in Toronto. I would like to check on some of my key concerning points. Super sorry in advance if this has been answered before.
1/ What is the latest update if a CoPR expires? Are we getting extensions automatically or we have to re do the medical test etc? Or we go back to the pool?
2/ I was planning to do a soft landing but with the 14 day mandatory quarantine, I am aiming to stay for 20 days now. Any info in whether the mandatory quarantine might get reduced/cancelled?
3/ Would I be able to get my SIN in the airport? Are the immigration services operating from the airport?
4/ For mandatory quarantine, I understand we need to have our own car to go to the place. I do not as I am a new resident. Is taking a cab ok? Do I need to rent a car for such a small trip?
5/ Can we go buy food during the quarantine or all shall be online?

Super thanks and I really appreciate an answer during this stressful time.

Maximilian89

May 31, 2020
Apparently, Air Canada has decided not to fly between Dubai and Toronto. So that effectively nullifies my flight booking in July. Hoping for a refund.
Hi Dilshant, in the same boat. I see Emirates have flights in July. Did you check that? Do you think Emirates will cancel too?

Maximilian89

May 31, 2020
I thought my CoPR expires sept 5 2020, then I checked and it actually expires Sept 5, 2021. It was issued in April. Did anyone else have their CoPR valid for the whole year?
It is valid for 1 year from the date you applied for ur medical.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I thought my CoPR expires sept 5 2020, then I checked and it actually expires Sept 5, 2021. It was issued in April. Did anyone else have their CoPR valid for the whole year?
That is extremely unusual. Think someone made an error. It is usually 1 year from your medical.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
I’m in the same boat. Mine was issued after March 18, so I can’t travel yet. But hopefully the borders are open and I can travel in July.

rohansoni369

Jul 20, 2018
Hi all, hope to get the clarity soon. I reside in New Zealand. COPR issued on March 19, 2020 and expires on Aug 12, 2020.

I have already raised a webform twice but no reply yet.

rohansoni369

Jul 20, 2018
What did you ask in webform?
As per current restrictions only COPR issued before March 18, 2020 can enter Canada. Mine is 19th.

Ontario just extended their emergency and it seems like they wont change or update their border restrictions soon. Even if i get to know by july or mid july it will be difficult for me to arrange everything with air tickets and quarantine situation. I have asked them for clarity and extension if available at the moment.

The decision making window is getting lower with every day passing. Any feedback would be appreciated.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
As per current restrictions only COPR issued before March 18, 2020 can enter Canada. Mine is 19th.

Ontario just extended their emergency and it seems like they wont change or update their border restrictions soon. Even if i get to know by july or mid july it will be difficult for me to arrange everything with air tickets and quarantine situation. I have asked them for clarity and extension if available at the moment.

The decision making window is getting lower with every day passing. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks, please let me know if you get a response by them... I may ask the same thing. I’m in the same situation as my PR Visa was approved after March 18, but desperately trying to move without extensions... if possible in mid July. My expiry is in August 6

Dilshant88

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
Hi Dilshant, in the same boat. I see Emirates have flights in July. Did you check that? Do you think Emirates will cancel too?
Hi, I think Emirates will continue to operate since at the moment that's the only flight from DXB to Canada. London to Canada flights are also operated by British Airways.

Dilshant88

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
Hi all, some updated details in the CIC newsletter:
https://www.cicnews.com/2020/06/latest-guidelines-for-permanent-residence-applicants-0614602.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter-20200610#gs.7svfsy

Refer to Approved CoPRs and PRVs section.

"Those with valid COPR and PRV and who are unable or unwilling to travel must inform IRCC so a note stating their situation can be added to their file. A reminder must also be added to the file related to the expiry date of the document. If the event the applicant becomes able to travel before the expiry date of the COPR and PRV, they will be encouraged to use their existing document to land in Canada."

Seeing 'unwilling' is encouraging since many of us are unwilling to travel due to prevailing job market.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all, some updated details in the CIC newsletter:
https://www.cicnews.com/2020/06/latest-guidelines-for-permanent-residence-applicants-0614602.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter-20200610#gs.7svfsy

Refer to Approved CoPRs and PRVs section.

"Those with valid COPR and PRV and who are unable or unwilling to travel must inform IRCC so a note stating their situation can be added to their file. A reminder must also be added to the file related to the expiry date of the document. If the event the applicant becomes able to travel before the expiry date of the COPR and PRV, they will be encouraged to use their existing document to land in Canada."

Seeing 'unwilling' is encouraging since many of us are unwilling to travel due to prevailing job market.
Unwilling due to the job market is not an acceptable reason. We don’t know how long “unwilling“ due to covid will remain. In the example of someone moving from NZ to Canada there is very little stopping someone from travelling when it comes to covid. Both countries have minimal covid and are in various stages of lockdown. Arranging quarantine is very easy. In many ways you would do the same thing if you were landing without quarantine. You book an AirBnB and then arranged for a grocery delivery or a grocery order that someone could pick-up for you. Many groups are volunteering to pick up groceries and I have heard of AirBnB hosts even picking up your prepaid order and unpacking the stuff that needs to be in the freezer or fridge. If there are no flights that you can secure that would be different. I think there is a high likelihood people with COPR after March 18 will be able to be admitted. Think some already are but maybe only by land. You can try contacting CBSA as well. They are receiving a large volumw of questions so try not to resend questions it just delay the process. You can’t expect immediate replies. CBSA seems to reply faster.

rohansoni369

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks, please let me know if you get a response by them... I may ask the same thing. I’m in the same situation as my PR Visa was approved after March 18, but desperately trying to move without extensions... if possible in mid July. My expiry is in August 6
Received generic email.

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the new coronavirus (COVID-19) and its impact on IRCC clients.

Until further notice, most people cannot travel to Canada, even if they have a valid visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).

You can travel to Canada or be permitted to enter Canada if you are:

In any case, if you're travelling by air:

• You need to pass a health check conducted by airlines before you're allowed to board your flight,
  • Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.
When you arrive in Canada by air, land or sea, we'll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don't have a plan, you should not travel to Canada as you may not be allowed to enter the country.

We understand that these measures will affect several IRCC clients. Please be assured that we continue to closely monitor the situation and provide you with the most current information as the situation evolves.

For more information on the situation and to receive up-to-date information, we invite you to consult the How the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services page, where you will also find answers to your most common questions about travel restrictions and exemptions.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi COPR expires August 11th and was issued before March 15th so I guess I am eligible to travel to Canada. but I would have to self quarantine for 14 days upon landing. I'm not sure how the health insurance thing works once we get there. Can anyone provide guidance and or links to understand the same please? Also, does anyone have clarity on what we're supposed to do for food and stuff once in quarantine?
you have to wait for health insuranse at leats 3 months (waived in ontario)
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card
you need sin first
you can go out for food shoping only