+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR Expiry in August 2020. Who's on the same boat?

Dilshant88

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
IMO, if IRCC mentions 'unwilling' in their communication, I'm pretty sure anyone can interpret it with their own reasons.

Unwilling due to the job market is not an acceptable reason. We don’t know how long “unwilling“ due to covid will remain. In the example of someone moving from NZ to Canada there is very little stopping someone from travelling when it comes to covid. Both countries have minimal covid and are in various stages of lockdown. Arranging quarantine is very easy. In many ways you would do the same thing if you were landing without quarantine. You book an AirBnB and then arranged for a grocery delivery or a grocery order that someone could pick-up for you. Many groups are volunteering to pick up groceries and I have heard of AirBnB hosts even picking up your prepaid order and unpacking the stuff that needs to be in the freezer or fridge. If there are no flights that you can secure that would be different. I think there is a high likelihood people with COPR after March 18 will be able to be admitted. Think some already are but maybe only by land. You can try contacting CBSA as well. They are receiving a large volumw of questions so try not to resend questions it just delay the process. You can’t expect immediate replies. CBSA seems to reply faster.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Ircc website has details https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#approved_permanent_residence

My understanding and prior experience is ircc is trying to accommodate cases in current conditions. If you are informing ircc via web form about your inability to travel by as much as 90 days after expiry of copr, you will have a likelihood of being reapproved at a later date when you are able to travel.

For Ontario folks waiting period is waived.

While 14 day self quarantine is in place, you would have to show a 14 days quarantine plan which means you need to be able to show a place that you can live in for that long. All groceries/supplies can be delivered online using an intentional card.

Dilshant88

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
Thanks for sharing the information.

Are you able to clarify the underlined?

When to review a re-opened application
Once the applicant informs IRCC via the Web form that they are able to travel, a re-opened application may be re-approved provided that the applicant and their family members, whether accompanying or not, have valid immigration medical examinations, criminal and security checks and passports.

If the 60-day waiting period elapses and the applicant has not informed us that they are able to travel, a note should be placed in the application, and it should be brought forward for review for an additional 60 days.

Ircc website has details https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#approved_permanent_residence

My understanding and prior experience is ircc is trying to accommodate cases in current conditions. If you are informing ircc via web form about your inability to travel by as much as 90 days after expiry of copr, you will have a likelihood of being reapproved at a later date when you are able to travel.

For Ontario folks waiting period is waived.

While 14 day self quarantine is in place, you would have to show a 14 days quarantine plan which means you need to be able to show a place that you can live in for that long. All groceries/supplies can be delivered online using an intentional card.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Think it refers to the process once application is re opened and there is a total 120 days waiting time listed. In other words it acts like 6 months of additional time for copr.

Reactions: Dilshant88

minecraftwonderness

Star Member
Dec 24, 2018
I submitted a webform for my parents who had copr through pgp 2018. Expired July 19th. Here is what I got for response.

You are outside Canada and your permanent residence application has been approved, but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, or your documents have already expired? Rest assured that you do not need to contact us until you are ready to travel to Canada.

When you are ready to travel to Canada, we invite you to follow the instructions on our website to notify us. We will then tell you what to do next.

For more information on the situation and to receive up-to-date information, we invite you to verify our website.

So I guess when they wanna travel in a few months, they should contact IRCC and they would reissue the COPR?

Dilshant88

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
I submitted a webform for my parents who had copr through pgp 2018. Expired July 19th. Here is what I got for response.

You are outside Canada and your permanent residence application has been approved, but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, or your documents have already expired? Rest assured that you do not need to contact us until you are ready to travel to Canada.

When you are ready to travel to Canada, we invite you to follow the instructions on our website to notify us. We will then tell you what to do next.

For more information on the situation and to receive up-to-date information, we invite you to verify our website.

So I guess when they wanna travel in a few months, they should contact IRCC and they would reissue the COPR?
Ya, it seems that way with the latest update.

I have anyway written to my local VO and they instructed me to let them know one month prior to CoPR expiry. I assume they will then instruct me to do the same as what IRCC says.