+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and F1 visa

DHP260592

Jan 2, 2020
Dont worry bro, you will get your PR and I wish you the very best man.

we have to try our options while on CPT
Update: I got my PR last week.

I got my PR on Jan 31st, 2020 and I plan to drive from Seattle to Vancouver (Peace bridge) as my PR deadline is till May 29th, 2020. I would like to go by the end of this month (February) before I apply for H-1B on March 1-20, 2020. I am currently in second masters (Jan 6th, 2020) with day 1 CPT that started on Jan 6th, 2020. I have utilized my OPT prior to enrolling for second masters. My F-1 visa is expired. All I have is a valid I-20 and I-94.

1. What documents do I need to take with me for visa re-validation?

2. Traveling to Canada for the purpose of being a Permanent Resident might not qualify as grounds for F-1 revalidation? Is this true? Please confirm.

3. What other risks are involved at the US re-entry?

I'd appreciate if you can share your experience and things I should be careful of.

Thanks
Deep

asdfgty

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Hello,

I still haven’t heard back from Canadian immigration. So, I am still under actif normal F1 status. I did however contact the US consulate in Toronto And they said I could either renew the stamp on my visa but the processing time could be long, or cross the border with my expired visa stamp if I am planning to stay in Canada for less than 30 days (which is the case for me as an initial step). Hope this helps. Good luck with everything
Hi Future Dr.D,

Do you know whether being a Canadian PR shows "immigrant intent" to the US border control? I am thinking being a PR to Canada shows you at least want to and attempted to immigrant to another country......

But if you "contact the US consulate in Toronto and they said I could cross the border with my expired visa stamp if I am planning to stay in Canada for less than 30 days", then it means US doesn't care about you on a F1 visa being a Canadian PR? Thanks!