+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and F1 visa

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by Future Dr.D, Jun 13, 2019.

  1. Hello Guys,

    I have submitted my PR application through express entry last December from the US as an F1 student. My US visa is expired by my I-20 is still valid (the stamp on my passport is expired). I am anticipating to get a decision about my PR next week. If it is positive (hopefully), I am not sure how long will I have to arrange my departure? I hear that your COPR is only valid a year after your medical exam, but which date (the date you physically took the exam or the date it was validated by Canadian immigration?) I hope to return to the US to start my doctoral program (it took me forever to finally get into the program of my dreams, which I intent to start in the Fall). However, I am afraid that the US visa situation will cause me issues. I am not sure if any of you is in a similar situation, but any advice is welcomed and highly appreciated. Thanks
  2. How do you intend to meet the RO while completing your US PhD?
  3. Your CoPR will be valid for 1 year from the date you took the medical exam.
    Future Dr.D likes this.
  4. I am planning to go back and forth, since I will be in Boston and my brother lives in Toronto. But haven’t figure out all the details just
    thanks for replying. That’s very helpful.
  5. Going back and forth and accumulating 730 days in 5 years is much tougher than you think and we run into people who rush to apply for PR when planning on completing a long program or contracts abroad then they don’t meet their residency requirement and it becomes a big deal. Always best to apply for PR when you are actually ready to move to Canada relativeLy soon.
  6. Hi future dr. d, did you figured out a way tp travel cross borders? I have similar situation. Trying to study in Seattle while living in Vancouver.
  7. Hello,

    I still haven’t heard back from Canadian immigration. So, I am still under actif normal F1 status. I did however contact the US consulate in Toronto And they said I could either renew the stamp on my visa but the processing time could be long, or cross the border with my expired visa stamp if I am planning to stay in Canada for less than 30 days (which is the case for me as an initial step). Hope this helps. Good luck with everything

Share This Page