+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and evacuation flights

rd0640

Jun 4, 2020
Hello.
My nationality is Indian and i currently am in India.
I received my COPR in November 2019. My flight to Canada was booked for 25th March 2020. I delayed my flight because i wanted to assess the situation and the flights were grounded in my country.
However, recently, there are evacuation flights that are happening from June 9th to June 31st. It is for Citizens and permanent residents. However, i cannot find the information whether COPR holders are eligible for these evacuation flights called "Vande Bharat Mission."

I am sure there are plenty of people sailing in the same boat as me and going through the same confusion but cannot find the answer. I would be grateful if someone could help me out? Are COPR holders eligible for these flights or not?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello.
I received my COPR in November 2019. My flight to Canada was booked for 25th March 2020. I delayed my flight because i wanted to assess the situation and the flights were grounded in my country.
However, recently, there are evacuation flights that are happening from June 9th to June 31st. It is for Citizens and permanent residents. However, i cannot find the information whether COPR holders are eligible for these evacuation flights called "Vande Bharat Mission."

I am sure there are plenty of people sailing in the same boat as me and going through the same confusion but cannot find the answer. I would be grateful if someone could help me out? Are COPR holders eligible for these flights or not?
See the information below. COPR holders are not citizens or permanent residents. So you would need to prove your travel is essential / non-optional to be able to board.

http://www.airindia.in/images/pdf/Revised-Spain-and-Netherlands-advisory-24th-May-converted.pdf

Following are permitted: Canadian citizens and permanent resident card-holders are eligible to enter Canada. Eligible travellers do not require additional permission letters

Travellers who are not in one of these categories are NOT eligible to travel unless they meet travel restriction exemptions AND their travel is deemed non-optional and non-discretionary

Detailed eligibility rules and criteria to enter Canada can be found at: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronaviruscovid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#exemptions Please note that final determinations of eligibility to enter Canada are made by Canada Border Services Agency at the port of entry to Canada

rd0640

Jun 4, 2020
i understand.
So COPR is different from PR? Because i thought COPR is just Confirmation Of PR.
Perhaps i just want to be there real bad and I'm rationalising.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i understand.
So COPR is different from PR? Because i thought COPR is just Confirmation Of PR.
Perhaps i just want to be there real bad and I'm rationalising.
Yes - COPR is certainly different than PR.

COPR is a visa that confirms you have been approved as a permanent resident. However a person who has a COPR isn't a permanent resident until they have actually landed in Canada and completed procedures to officially become a PR. Until then, a COPR holder is still a foreigner with no status in Canada.

A permanent resident is just that. Someone with PR status in Canada. A COPR holder does not have PR status in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you fall under the exemption. However per the flight details, you must also prove your travel is essential.

Only PRs and citizens can travel without showing their travel is essential.

rd0640

Jun 4, 2020
Desperation and anxiety doesn't qualify as essential, i take it.

Thanks anyway. You saved me the effort of buying the flight and then running around to get a refund.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Desperation and anxiety doesn't qualify as essential, i take it.

Thanks anyway. You saved me the effort of buying the flight and then running around to get a refund.
I would contact IRCC and see if you can be classified as essential since you have a COPR. No harm in asking. I wouldn't book a flight until you hear back from them. And it might take a while to hear back since I think they are being flodded with email. There's an email in the link below.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Shilpa D W

May 10, 2020
Until when is your copr valid?????

Hello.

rd0640

Jun 4, 2020
Well, yes. it would seem so. but regardless, are COPR holders eligible to take Vande Bharat flights?