+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

canadawaiting

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021
Hi Guys,

For all those who got their PPR recently in India -
I understand the VFS is closed till further notice.

I understand that all we have to do at the moment is wait for VFS offices to open. At the most, we could write a Webform stating that we are unable to submit our passports.

However, just wanted to ask, have you or anyone you heard did something else?
@agk1956 @amrahsidana @Ajalpatel @ameha @CNP @Fmegha86 @shipping @AMM26 @legalfalcon @BillyWescott

Reactions: Fmegha86

CEC_Candidate1001

Jun 3, 2020
There is no expiry date of a COPR. CORP is NOT a travel document. The date on the cOPR simply means that before that date you have to enter Canada and be admitted as a PR. If you are an inland applicant, you will be sent a COPR which is signed and stamped, and effective that date you become a PR.

The COPR will be your proof of PR status in Canada for life or until you hold it.

The PR card is issued for 5 years and is a travel document.
hi @legalfalcon i don't want to question your expertise but my COPR says,

"
This letter constitutes an official document issued by the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. You can provide a copy of this letter to prove that you are a permanent resident of Canada and to apply for benefits and services for which you are eligible, until you receive your permanent resident card.
This letter does not replace the permanent resident card; you are still required to submit the documentation to obtain your permanent resident card. Please print a copy of this letter and send it along with one photo that meets our photo specifications to the address listed above. Please ensure that you write your unique client identifier (UCI) and name on the back of the photo. You do not need to sign the letter nor the photo. If your address has changed, please provide us with your current address.
We realize that you may not be able to send this photo right now due to the COVID-19 situation. Please send this photo to us when it will be possible as per your provincial and/or local authorities’ guidelines. In the meantime, this letter will serve as proof of your permanent resident status in Canada. You can use this letter for one year and it must be accompanied by a
travel document or a federal/provincial/territorial identity document. The permanent resident card is required after this one-year period.

We are making every effort to produce and mail your permanent resident card, but there will be delays as our offices are either closed or working at minimum capacity. Issuance of permanent resident cards should gradually resume as COVID-19 related restrictions are eased.
If you leave Canada without a permanent resident card, you will have to apply for a permanent resident travel document through a visa office. Otherwise, you will not be able to board a commercial vehicle (plane, train, bus or boat) to come back to Canada. Please visit our website for more information."

I m really confused now :(

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
hi @legalfalcon i don't want to question your expertise but my COPR says,

"
This letter constitutes an official document issued by the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. You can provide a copy of this letter to prove that you are a permanent resident of Canada and to apply for benefits and services for which you are eligible, until you receive your permanent resident card.
This letter does not replace the permanent resident card; you are still required to submit the documentation to obtain your permanent resident card. Please print a copy of this letter and send it along with one photo that meets our photo specifications to the address listed above. Please ensure that you write your unique client identifier (UCI) and name on the back of the photo. You do not need to sign the letter nor the photo. If your address has changed, please provide us with your current address.
We realize that you may not be able to send this photo right now due to the COVID-19 situation. Please send this photo to us when it will be possible as per your provincial and/or local authorities’ guidelines. In the meantime, this letter will serve as proof of your permanent resident status in Canada. You can use this letter for one year and it must be accompanied by a
travel document or a federal/provincial/territorial identity document. The permanent resident card is required after this one-year period.

We are making every effort to produce and mail your permanent resident card, but there will be delays as our offices are either closed or working at minimum capacity. Issuance of permanent resident cards should gradually resume as COVID-19 related restrictions are eased.
If you leave Canada without a permanent resident card, you will have to apply for a permanent resident travel document through a visa office. Otherwise, you will not be able to board a commercial vehicle (plane, train, bus or boat) to come back to Canada. Please visit our website for more information."

I m really confused now :(
As I mentioned before, the COPR is a document that confirms your PR status. You can use it to apply for SIN, health card or any other benefits where a proof of your PR status is required in the absence of a PR card. However, you will not be able to travel with your COPR alone, you will need a PR card or a PRTD.

The PR acrd when it is issued is for 5 years. However, the COPR still remains to be a proof of your PR status. Most people will use the PR card for the proof of the PR status as well as travel, as it is convenient and easier to handle. As a PR status holder, you have residency obligations, which mean that you have to be physically in Canada for 730 days during the last five years.

The COPR document by itself does not show that you have met the PR obligation, unless checked. However, a PR card has to be renewed every 5 years, and when you apply for a renewal you will have to show that you have met the PR residency obligation before a new PR card is issued. Once you have a new PR card, it will demonstrate that you meet the PR status.

Hope this clarifies.

Son7515

Star Member
Apr 19, 2021
Hi all.. did anyone get the "do you still want to immigrate" mail in the end of april? If yes , hv u recieved the request for re-meds?

InterstellarImmigrant

Star Member
May 11, 2021
Hi all.. did anyone get the "do you still want to immigrate" mail in the end of april? If yes , hv u recieved the request for re-meds?
I’m in the same boat as you. It’s been around 1.5 months and still no re-med request.
Wrote a webform to my local office first, they replied with a generic response giving n number of reasons (including delays due to COVID restrictions). I say generic because it seemed like a “pick your reason for delay as per your situation”. They also added a line that:

Please be advised that we can only assist in applications where India is the primary office. If you submitted and application under a permanent resident economic category, your application may be processed in Canada”.

This made me wonder that perhaps the Delhi office did not check whether my application is currently being processed by their office.
It also seemed to have contradictory information about upfront medical exams. IRCC said that upfront medical examinations are not being allowed in India due to the surge in COVID-19 cases and in their “Do you still want to immigrate” email that DO NOT go for an upfront medical exam until we ask you to do it, otherwise your application may be delayed, however the email from the Delhi office said that although you can go for an upfront medical exam, you should refrain from going for now.

Seeing these signs, I then sent a webform to the Canadian office and they replied:
We verified the information on file and are pleased to confirm that your enquiry was received by the responsible office.

Due to COVID-19, IRCC is experiencing processing delays and we can't give accurate processing times for most types of applications. Our ability to review and process applications is also being affected.

Rest assured that we are making all the necessary efforts to finalize applications as soon as possible
.”

I guess I’ll just have to wait even more :/

If any member has any suggestions, I’d be really grateful!

Reactions: Son7515

Fmegha86

Mar 8, 2017
Hi Guys,

For all those who got their PPR recently in India -
I understand the VFS is closed till further notice.

I understand that all we have to do at the moment is wait for VFS offices to open. At the most, we could write a Webform stating that we are unable to submit our passports.

However, just wanted to ask, have you or anyone you heard did something else?
@agk1956 @amrahsidana @Ajalpatel @ameha @CNP @Fmegha86 @shipping @AMM26 @legalfalcon @BillyWescott
no I am thinking to raise a webform and inform ircc that vacs/vfs are not open for 2 way courier services if there is no update on reopening in a week or 2 . I don’t honestly think there is any other way than to wait for vfs to reopen @pavie24 did you raise a webform yet or waiting for vfs?

Sahilvee

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
Got the PPR as a message yesterday. I think notifying IRCC (thanks to this forum) that we have completed the re-medical as suggested in the "Do you want to immigrate" was the trigger. Now waiting for VFS to re-open.
Congrats for the PPR request.I hope VFS will open very soon.Can you please share your application timeline?

ceclmo777

Oct 24, 2013
Hello,

I am a pre march holder, did my re-medicals and passed in jan 2021.
On May 20th I got an AL saying i must travel by July 19 2021 - my copr extended till jan 2022 though.

Currently planning my move. Goodluck!
My parents got their initial PR approved on March 15, 2020 but could not travel before the Immigrant Visa expiry in Oct 2020. How do they apply for re-medicals?

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
If you don't mind me asking, have you figured out why they sent you both the AL and the new COPR (esp. with a longer validity)?
Does your new COPR have the annotation describing that this is a replacement/renewal of the pre-March COPR?
Hello,

Not sure why they sent both to be honest - In the email and in the AL the have mentioned that my copr validity has been extended for a year (that is the validity of my new medicals. but that i must travel by July 19 using the AL - they didn't mention that it was a replacement of the old one, but they've asked me to show the old copr with the AL before flying.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Reactions: consbear

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
My parents got their initial PR approved on March 15, 2020 but could not travel before the Immigrant Visa expiry in Oct 2020. How do they apply for re-medicals?
IRCC Should contact them as they as pre march copr holders - i did not request for re medicals, it was IRCC who sent me the request to do them.

Sahilvee

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
Hello Everyone,Got PPR request last night.
My timeline is
19th April: Do you want to immigrate.
Replied the mail on the same day.
25th April: Profile updated and reopened
13th May : Got remedical request.
18th May:Re-Medicals Done.
22nd May: Medicals updated.
8 th June: Got PPR request.
Things are getting done.Be positive guys.Veey soon everyone will get it.
But now the problem is VFS are closed in INDIA.