+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

lnmora

Aug 27, 2020
hey did this happen to anyone. I am pre-march 2020 COPR.. with Copr of May 14th,2020. I was asked for remedicals in march 2021 , and my upfront medicals got update on GCkey on March 22nd. But now. They have removed those medicals and have asked another re-medicals .. What should i do?..any help will be appreciated? @whyCorona @legalfalcon

guocamole

Mar 30, 2020
Hi could you clarify your timeline pls? Also where is the VAC located? And what's your VO?
Hi, sure.

Timeline:
Original COPR issued: Dec 2019
COPR expired: May 2020
Re-medical request: 15 March 2021
Medical done: 9 April 2021
Medical passed to IRCC: 23 April 2021
Document request: 14 May 2021
Document sent: 18 May 2021
New COPR issued: 20 May 2021

VAC is located in London, UK. VO must be in London too, as the request letter has London address on it. Please note: I don't require a visa so it is likely to be slightly quicker I think.

guocamole

Mar 30, 2020
If you are pre March 18th 2020 approved applicant, you fall under the exception, then you can travel if you are not situated in India or Pakistan because as of now the flights from both the countries are banned till 22nd June 2021.
I hope that is the case. It is just they say " Until further notice, most foreign nationals cannot travel to Canada if their valid CoPR and PRV was issued after March 18, 2020, unless they are exempt from the travel restrictions."

Obviously my new one is way after that date...I have emailed them for clarification, hopefully receive an answer soon.

K&K

Star Member
Jan 30, 2021
I hope that is the case. It is just they say " Until further notice, most foreign nationals cannot travel to Canada if their valid CoPR and PRV was issued after March 18, 2020, unless they are exempt from the travel restrictions."

Obviously my new one is way after that date...I have emailed them for clarification, hopefully receive an answer soon.
You still have the old COPR which was issued to you (which expired) and also a trail mail to show that your COPR was originally approved before 18th March 2020.

Reactions: guocamole

guocamole

Mar 30, 2020
You still have the old COPR which was issued to you (which expired) and also a trail mail to show that your COPR was originally approved before 18th March 2020.
Yes i think that is what i will do regardless when i travel. Thanks for the info. :)

Reactions: K&K

InterstellarImmigrant

Star Member
May 11, 2021
Hi guys,

So I have received my new COPR, which is really quick. I sent my documents through to VAC on Tuesday afternoon,VAC processed on Wednesday afternoon, IRCC received my documents this morning (Thursday) and I have already received an email notification with new COPR after just 4 hours of them receiving it. The new COPR is valid until April 2022.

@Welluf2019 unfortunately my new COPR didn't mention this is a replacement of my old COPR. And it says I am not allowed to travel. See info below. I will however email them and ask for clarification since my original COPR was issued before March 2020.

We are pleased to advise that your application for permanent residence has been approved, and we have issued a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) and a permanent resident visa (PRV) counterfoil (if applicable) to you and your identified accompanying dependants. However, in light of current travel restrictions due to COVID-19, you cannot travel to Canada at this time to become a permanent resident (unless you meet the travel restriction exemptions according to our website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel- restrictions-exemptions.html). Note that your status as a permanent resident in Canada is not finalized until you have landed in Canada.

Travel restrictions

To protect Canadians from the outbreak of COVID-19, the Prime Minister announced travel restrictions that limit travel to Canada. Please visit the following link for more information: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel- restrictions-exemptions.html

Until further notice, most foreign nationals cannot travel to Canada if their valid CoPR and PRV was issued after March 18, 2020, unless they are exempt from the travel restrictions.

We have issued your documents so that when the restrictions are lifted, you will have your documents ready to travel to Canada.

Please keep your documents in a safe space.

You won’t be allowed to board your flight to Canada at this time. It is your responsibility to keep yourself informed of any changes to the travel restrictions to Canada by going to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel- restrictions-exemptions.html.
Firstly, congratulations on getting your new CoPR!
I too am a pre 18 March 2020 CoPR holder waiting for my renewal.
There’s a statement on the following page:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#expired
that says the following:
If we approved your permanent residence application and we issued you a COPR on or before March 18, 2020, you’re exempt from the travel restrictions.

Here’s my read on the situation: CoPRs are valid till our medicals are valid, and our medicals have a validity of one year. The validity of a CoPR would be 1 year minus the days elapsed from their medical examination. In my case, I was issued my CoPR almost 6 months after my medicals got done in 2019 and so my CoPR had a validity of about 6 months. If I assume that there may be cases where their application got processed even faster, say within 3 months of getting their medicals done, someone might have a validity of say even 9 months hypothetically. If such a person was issued a CoPR on 18th March 2020, it would have expired by January 2021. This would mean that no CoPR holder (regardless of issue date) would be eligible to enter Canada post January 2021.
So the aforementioned rule of pre 18 March 2020 would become null and void and they’d probably remove/update it. But because it is still up there, makes me believe that you would be eligible to travel since your original CoPR was pre 18 March 2020. It’s a good call though to clarify from them because of the seemingly conflicting statements they have made in the email to you. My guess is that they perhaps send a generic email that they send to even post 18 March 2020 CoPR holders.

Rowsp

Star Member
Sep 29, 2019
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Hi
I received my GCMS notes recently. Upon checking it, I saw that counterfoil/COPR was issued for my spouse and me but not for my child. Even the document number is there.
But the status shows cancelled.
Under Assessment, eligibility, criminality and medical is passed. Info sharing in progress. Nothing is mentioned under final.
I am wondering will my application be reassessed?
Aor Jan 2019
@legalfalcon- Can you kindly advise here?

Armank90

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Category........
PNP
Hi guys,

So I have received my new COPR, which is really quick. I sent my documents through to VAC on Tuesday afternoon,VAC processed on Wednesday afternoon, IRCC received my documents this morning (Thursday) and I have already received an email notification with new COPR after just 4 hours of them receiving it. The new COPR is valid until April 2022.

@Welluf2019 unfortunately my new COPR didn't mention this is a replacement of my old COPR. And it says I am not allowed to travel. See info below. I will however email them and ask for clarification since my original COPR was issued before March 2020.

We are pleased to advise that your application for permanent residence has been approved, and we have issued a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) and a permanent resident visa (PRV) counterfoil (if applicable) to you and your identified accompanying dependants. However, in light of current travel restrictions due to COVID-19, you cannot travel to Canada at this time to become a permanent resident (unless you meet the travel restriction exemptions according to our website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel- restrictions-exemptions.html). Note that your status as a permanent resident in Canada is not finalized until you have landed in Canada.

Travel restrictions

To protect Canadians from the outbreak of COVID-19, the Prime Minister announced travel restrictions that limit travel to Canada. Please visit the following link for more information: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel- restrictions-exemptions.html

Until further notice, most foreign nationals cannot travel to Canada if their valid CoPR and PRV was issued after March 18, 2020, unless they are exempt from the travel restrictions.

We have issued your documents so that when the restrictions are lifted, you will have your documents ready to travel to Canada.

You won’t be allowed to board your flight to Canada at this time. It is your responsibility to keep yourself informed of any changes to the travel restrictions to Canada by going to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel- restrictions-exemptions.html.
Old CoPR information is not mentioned in the new one because the latter is not a replacement; It's a new one! Your old expired document is proof that your application for permanent residence was approved before March 2020.

Last edited:

mgodara

Apr 8, 2019
Congrats! I'm based out of the US, too. I have a very similar timeline as you in terms of CoPR expiry, ultimatum email, re-med request/completion, etc. Just to clarify if this is not a typo - your post says you got a PPR request, but your signature states you have a PCC request on 19th May. Did you get a request to do the police verification while also getting a PPR simultaneously?
Did you receive PPR for VAC in New York as well? I'm really confused about their instruction on mailing the passports to VAC. Did you email vfsShippingLabel or simply sent the package along with a return envelope? It would be really helpful if you or someone can share how they handled mailing /receiving the passports to VAC.

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Did you receive PPR for VAC in New York as well? I'm really confused about their instruction on mailing the passports to VAC. Did you email vfsShippingLabel or simply sent the package along with a return envelope? It would be really helpful if you or someone can share how they handled mailing /receiving the passports to VAC.
Thanks for clarifying my query earlier. Glad to know that it was a typo and that you actually got a PPR.

I completed my medicals on 7th May and it was submitted to IRCC on the 14th. My profile changed a couple of days back with the results of the medical exam, so I haven't gotten into the PPR stage yet. However, I did mail a package with a return envelope to Ottawa previously when I got my original CoPR. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure about the process now.

mgodara

Apr 8, 2019
Thanks for clarifying my query earlier. Glad to know that it was a typo and that you actually got a PPR.

I completed my medicals on 7th May and it was submitted to IRCC on the 14th. My profile changed a couple of days back with the results of the medical exam, so I haven't gotten into the PPR stage yet. However, I did mail a package with a return envelope to Ottawa previously when I got my original CoPR. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure about the process now.
Thanks. Yes, last time I also submitted to Ottawa, but this time it's a different process with VAC. What's confusing me is their "Package Transmission Fees" for Biometrics? My Biometrics is recent and valid but somehow they need fees again? I'm fine with paying if that's applicable but it's not clear from their website. In short, it's confusing with VAC

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Hi guys,

Travel restrictions

I believe you are exempted based on the report on their website and the excerpt from the email you posted.

I emailed them in March asking them to extend my COPR validity as I was unable to travel like everyone else due to Covid. see below their response from the email......

As your CoPR was issued on or before March 18, 2020, it appears you currently qualify for an exemption from the travel restrictions.

Based on our assessment of your enquiry, we have determined that additional processing is needed to extend the validity of your Confirmation of PR (CoPR) document and PR visa.

This is because the Immigration Medical Exam (IME) results for you and/or a dependent family member are not currently valid. It is not possible for IRCC to extend the validity of your immigration documents without valid medical results.

Then further down in the email they also wrote.....

Once we confirm that you continue to meet all statutory requirements, we will re-issue your CoPR with extended validity and also issue you the documentation you need to facilitate your travel to Canada.

I believe the COPRs been issued are generic. As pre-march we are exempted. I haven't received my COPR because the VAC in my country only works 3 days due to Covid. Sent my documents on Tuesday and it was received on Wednesday.

Last edited:

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon- Can you kindly advise here?
If you are outside Canada or are not exempt from travel restrictions, your application most likely is placed on hold. As and when the applications are picked up, you will be issued the COPR.

Once the stages are passed, there is no reassessment

May 10, 2021
Hi is anyone else’s vac closed? What do you do when you get the new ppr? I raised a webform but I’m really concerned that this could cause delays.