+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

tomx420

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
Depends on which flights are you taking? If they share codes, they can tag your luggage till Toronto.
Yes that's right..... planning to take Japan Airlines - Melbourne > Tokyo > Vancouver > Toronto. I'm expecting the luggage to be checked in all the way through to Toronto. But if I have to do the landing in Vancouver and I have only a 2h stopover it may not be a good option.
The alternate is Emirates/Etihad - Melbourne > Dubai/Abu Dhabi > Toronto.; but its a longer journey.
Thanks!!

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Yes that's right..... planning to take Japan Airlines - Melbourne > Tokyo > Vancouver > Toronto. I'm expecting the luggage to be checked in all the way through to Toronto. But if I have to do the landing in Vancouver and I have only a 2h stopover it may not be a good option.
The alternate is Emirates/Etihad - Melbourne > Dubai/Abu Dhabi > Toronto.; but its a longer journey.
Thanks!!
Please check with airline staff while getting your boarding passes if your luggage will be checked all the way through to Toronto. It's better to avoid the 2 h stopover. I don't think that you have considered any flight delays and this 2h stopover wont be enough in that case.

Tahhi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
02-08-2019
AOR Received.
30-09-2019
IELTS Request
02-03-2019
Passport Req..
19-10-2020
Hi,

I received my COPR on 04th December 2020. I have been waiting since June 2019 (ITA, medicals done etc). My COPR and medicals expire on 31st March 2021.

(1) What can I do in the time being?
(2) Can I get ahead of the process and do a remedical? But how will the IRCC know it has been done and how will it help in extending my COPR?
(3) I read about people going with their COPR but no AL or extension. Any suggestions on this?
My situation is very similar to yours ( COPR : Nov 4th. Expiry March 7th)
I raised three webforms but no answer so far. I Understood they are focusing on CoPR before March 18th......

I will try to answer three points

1- Updating IRCC with WebForms ( Which I am doing as well )
2- I am not sure it is good idea.
3- Some people took risk, it worked for some of them, but others were rejected. Personally I will not take this risk with my family( 4 persons )

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Thanks!!
2nd option will be more safer and you will get your luggage in Toronto.

Which airline you are taking for Vancouver and which airline you are taking for Toronto? Depends on this.

Last edited:

TechyVishal

Dec 22, 2019
Any news regarding AL those who got counterfoils updated on 6th and 7th Jan?
Nothing so far! Called IRCC thrice and raised webform as well!

Have you planned to fly as soon as you get AL because flights are getting booked and prices are also increasing on daily basis?

3WWW

Apr 20, 2019
My AL expires end of Feb.
My COPR expires end of March.
I am thinking of possibility of doing a soft landing. For those who already did it, did immigration ask any question when of leaving Canada? did you face an issues?

P.S I understand its not the best option. But I haven't seen my family for over a year (as we live in separate countries) and want to see them when I come back from Canada if I do a soft landing.

DD2020

Apr 11, 2020
Hi all,

Expired COPR received before Mar 18 here (Expired May 30). I raised 'ready to travel' web forms on 7th Dec and 23rd Dec and received the following reply a month later for both, We have forwarded it and the information you provided to the responsible office for their consideration.

Has anyone received this reply? Just wanna know if I should expect the AL soon or more generic replies like these. My medicals expired in June 2020.
I have a similar case and I have raised a total of 5 webforms with the same generic reply. There is no other option but to wait.

DD2020

Apr 11, 2020
Ghost Update - When you log in, the application says it's been "updated" but none of the fields have changed. Once you logout and log back in, the application returns to being "submitted". Ghost updates are not announced by email and a candidate must check their profile daily to not miss them.
Mine shows "Approved" and not "submitted". Will this section show "updated" in case of ghost update?

Cansav

Dec 12, 2019
Has anyone received anything so far inside canada ? Ive called ircc numerous times but they dont know when they will be sending out letters . Its really frustrating. Its almost end of january and still i dont know what is happening . No new copr has been issues and they have no system in place for people inside canada . So ridiculous

andrew325

Jan 15, 2018
Hi all

here is my traveling update. My common-law partner and I were traveled separately with expired COPR and AL valid until 31 January. Now we are both in quarantine in Vancouver.

I was flying on the 18 January from Shanghai via Air Canada. It was a direct flight with technical stopover in Seoul. During check-in there was no questions asked. The lady only went somewhere to verify the AL letter. Besides this, they were asking for the test, Airbnb booking and expired COPR. The flight was max 30% full. There are two lines of immigration in Vancouver. The first is very simple, was asked only about quarantine plan. The second is much detailed but no major issues either. I had to wait for 1.5 hours (already all the people from my plane left), since they needed to print out new COPR and due to unknown reasons it took so long. They say, the PR card will be mailed out in 6-8 weeks. It was 9 pm, so the first floor currency exchange counter was closed, the second floor counter is open 24 h. Although I do not suggest to use, the exchange rate is very unfavorable. BTW in terms of food supply, our host was kind enough to stock up the fridge and I transferred her money by paypal. It should be enough for at least a week.

My partner was flying 23 January from Singapore via Air Japan with stopover in Tokyo. She said they were checking papers all the time and everywhere explaining they do not want you to get stuck in Canada. At the immigration, the officer says she does not need a new COPR printed and stamped the old one. It differs from mine experience though.

All the flights were on time. They were chosen based on flightstats.com data with very low cancellation probability. I already got a job interview scheduled for the next week, but I am a scientist and it is university position, so it might easier nowadays. Also, I do work remotely for my current company in China, so it is no rush to secure a job in Canada.

This is my short summary. Thanks a lot guys for your everyday support and encouragement. In summary it took us 3 years from application to landing. Time is tough but there will be dawn after darkness!

ArunRag

Dec 17, 2019
Landed in Toronto!!!

~LONG POST ALERT~

Finally we landed in Toronto after all the delays, confusions and lack of correct information. I hope I can solve some of your confusion with this post.

DISCLAIMER - I had an expired copr before 18 March. Got new CoPRs but NO AL.

Initial CoPR Date - 15/03/2020
Initial CoPR Expiry - 22/05/2020
4 Pointer - 30/10/2020
Re-Meds Done without IMM letter - 07/11/2020
New PPR - 22/11/2020
Passports Sent to NDVO - 09/12/2020
Received Passports - 31/12/2020
Travelled from Hyderabad to Toronto via Delhi - 22/01/2020
Visa Office - NDVO
Applicants - Primary+Spouse
AL - NO AL RECEIVED
Occupation - Architects (both)

Right then! We had major confusion if we could travel without an AL even though our initial CoPR was issued before 18 March 2020. We decided to take screenshots of our GC Key and IRCC Newletters on travel restrictions in case they ask us.

We booked Air Canada from Hyderabad to Toronto (Hyd to Delhi was Vistara). Immigration happened in Delhi and neither the Air Canada Rep at the checkin counter nor the immigration officer asked us any questions regarding CoPR date. The Air Canada counter lady gave us the Declaration of Goods Form to be filled in flight for arrival. She also checked our Covid test reports. The officer asked about our quarantine arrangements (AirBnB)

Landed at YYZ Airport in the wee hours of 23rd. The getting off time from the flight is longer (due to distancing norms). First set of counters check your COVID reports, Arrive CAN App and the Declaration form for Goods.

Then you are guided to the CBSA counters where you have to wait for around 30 mins till your turn comes. The officer DID NOT ask us any questions regarding finances, quarantine, CoPR Dates or anything. They process was smooth and without any confusion. After stamping and signing off CoPR docs, we heard the golden words - Welcome to Canada!

Collected our bags, headed straight to TIM Hortons at the exit lounge and had our breakfast. Booked an Uber XL to our destination.

We ordered groceries upon arrival from Instacart (they have WALMART and Costco) and APNIROOT (Indian groceries).

We are using numbers from Text Now app and its super convenient and easy (you'll need wifi which is available throughout the airport and our airbnb).

The flight was long and crowded and no choices for food. Overall it was a comfortable journey.

Hope this post was helpful and hope I've been able to solve some queries. Ask away if you've got doubts and ill reply as soon as I can.

Good luck guys, hang in there! Things will happen!

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
Mine shows "Approved" and not "submitted". Will this section show "updated" in case of ghost update?
This was a copy paste from another post..

while I haven't seen ghost updates on my approved application, I estimate it would change from updated to Approved in some cases, could change to submitted if they need to work on something such as requesting applicant for additional information or documents.

Reactions: DD2020