+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
Landed in Toronto!!!

~LONG POST ALERT~

Finally we landed in Toronto after all the delays, confusions and lack of correct information. I hope I can solve some of your confusion with this post.

DISCLAIMER - I had an expired copr before 18 March. Got new CoPRs but NO AL.

Initial CoPR Date - 15/03/2020
Initial CoPR Expiry - 22/05/2020
4 Pointer - 30/10/2020
Re-Meds Done without IMM letter - 07/11/2020
New PPR - 22/11/2020
Passports Sent to NDVO - 09/12/2020
Received Passports - 31/12/2020
Travelled from Hyderabad to Toronto via Delhi - 22/01/2020
Visa Office - NDVO
Applicants - Primary+Spouse
AL - NO AL RECEIVED
Occupation - Architects (both)

Right then! We had major confusion if we could travel without an AL even though our initial CoPR was issued before 18 March 2020. We decided to take screenshots of our GC Key and IRCC Newletters on travel restrictions in case they ask us.

We booked Air Canada from Hyderabad to Toronto (Hyd to Delhi was Vistara). Immigration happened in Delhi and neither the Air Canada Rep at the checkin counter nor the immigration officer asked us any questions regarding CoPR date. The Air Canada counter lady gave us the Declaration of Goods Form to be filled in flight for arrival. She also checked our Covid test reports. The officer asked about our quarantine arrangements (AirBnB)

Landed at YYZ Airport in the wee hours of 23rd. The getting off time from the flight is longer (due to distancing norms). First set of counters check your COVID reports, Arrive CAN App and the Declaration form for Goods.

Then you are guided to the CBSA counters where you have to wait for around 30 mins till your turn comes. The officer DID NOT ask us any questions regarding finances, quarantine, CoPR Dates or anything. They process was smooth and without any confusion. After stamping and signing off CoPR docs, we heard the golden words - Welcome to Canada!

Collected our bags, headed straight to TIM Hortons at the exit lounge and had our breakfast. Booked an Uber XL to our destination.

We ordered groceries upon arrival from Instacart (they have WALMART and Costco) and APNIROOT (Indian groceries).

We are using numbers from Text Now app and its super convenient and easy (you'll need wifi which is available throughout the airport and our airbnb).

The flight was long and crowded and no choices for food. Overall it was a comfortable journey.

Hope this post was helpful and hope I've been able to solve some queries. Ask away if you've got doubts and ill reply as soon as I can.

Good luck guys, hang in there! Things will happen!
Congratulations!!!

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Landed in Toronto!!!

~LONG POST ALERT~

Finally we landed in Toronto after all the delays, confusions and lack of correct information. I hope I can solve some of your confusion with this post.

DISCLAIMER - I had an expired copr before 18 March. Got new CoPRs but NO AL.

Initial CoPR Date - 15/03/2020
Initial CoPR Expiry - 22/05/2020
4 Pointer - 30/10/2020
Re-Meds Done without IMM letter - 07/11/2020
New PPR - 22/11/2020
Passports Sent to NDVO - 09/12/2020
Received Passports - 31/12/2020
Travelled from Hyderabad to Toronto via Delhi - 22/01/2020
Visa Office - NDVO
Applicants - Primary+Spouse
AL - NO AL RECEIVED
Occupation - Architects (both)

Right then! We had major confusion if we could travel without an AL even though our initial CoPR was issued before 18 March 2020. We decided to take screenshots of our GC Key and IRCC Newletters on travel restrictions in case they ask us.

We booked Air Canada from Hyderabad to Toronto (Hyd to Delhi was Vistara). Immigration happened in Delhi and neither the Air Canada Rep at the checkin counter nor the immigration officer asked us any questions regarding CoPR date. The Air Canada counter lady gave us the Declaration of Goods Form to be filled in flight for arrival. She also checked our Covid test reports. The officer asked about our quarantine arrangements (AirBnB)

Landed at YYZ Airport in the wee hours of 23rd. The getting off time from the flight is longer (due to distancing norms). First set of counters check your COVID reports, Arrive CAN App and the Declaration form for Goods.

Then you are guided to the CBSA counters where you have to wait for around 30 mins till your turn comes. The officer DID NOT ask us any questions regarding finances, quarantine, CoPR Dates or anything. They process was smooth and without any confusion. After stamping and signing off CoPR docs, we heard the golden words - Welcome to Canada!

Collected our bags, headed straight to TIM Hortons at the exit lounge and had our breakfast. Booked an Uber XL to our destination.

We ordered groceries upon arrival from Instacart (they have WALMART and Costco) and APNIROOT (Indian groceries).

We are using numbers from Text Now app and its super convenient and easy (you'll need wifi which is available throughout the airport and our airbnb).

The flight was long and crowded and no choices for food. Overall it was a comfortable journey.

Hope this post was helpful and hope I've been able to solve some queries. Ask away if you've got doubts and ill reply as soon as I can.

Good luck guys, hang in there! Things will happen!
Congrats!

Btw you got a PPR and your passport was stamped with new CoPR and PRV as per your mentioned timeline, therefore, there was no need for you to get an AL. You were exempted anyways as your PR application was approved before 18th March 2020.

People still need AL to travel if they are in possession of expired CoPR and PRV issued before 18th March 2020 and if no AL then a new CoPR and PRV stamped on their passport like in your case.

Reactions: nayaskumar

lechatchar

Jun 23, 2020
Hi all

here is my traveling update. My common-law partner and I were traveled separately with expired COPR and AL valid until 31 January. Now we are both in quarantine in Vancouver.

I was flying on the 18 January from Shanghai via Air Canada. It was a direct flight with technical stopover in Seoul. During check-in there was no questions asked. The lady only went somewhere to verify the AL letter. Besides this, they were asking for the test, Airbnb booking and expired COPR. The flight was max 30% full. There are two lines of immigration in Vancouver. The first is very simple, was asked only about quarantine plan. The second is much detailed but no major issues either. I had to wait for 1.5 hours (already all the people from my plane left), since they needed to print out new COPR and due to unknown reasons it took so long. They say, the PR card will be mailed out in 6-8 weeks. It was 9 pm, so the first floor currency exchange counter was closed, the second floor counter is open 24 h. Although I do not suggest to use, the exchange rate is very unfavorable. BTW in terms of food supply, our host was kind enough to stock up the fridge and I transferred her money by paypal. It should be enough for at least a week.

My partner was flying 23 January from Singapore via Air Japan with stopover in Tokyo. She said they were checking papers all the time and everywhere explaining they do not want you to get stuck in Canada. At the immigration, the officer says she does not need a new COPR printed and stamped the old one. It differs from mine experience though.

All the flights were on time. They were chosen based on flightstats.com data with very low cancellation probability. I already got a job interview scheduled for the next week, but I am a scientist and it is university position, so it might easier nowadays. Also, I do work remotely for my current company in China, so it is no rush to secure a job in Canada.

This is my short summary. Thanks a lot guys for your everyday support and encouragement. In summary it took us 3 years from application to landing. Time is tough but there will be dawn after darkness!
Hey Andrew,
Congrats! It's great that you've finished your landing procedure.
Can you please tell me when you guys got your CoPR? ( before or after March 18, 2020? )
My common-law partner and I got our "big envelopes" at Dec 2020, and we're so willing to land in Canada ( Vancouver, too ) but we're not eligible yet due to the travel districtions, which worries us a lot. That's why I wanna know the issued date of your CoPR, and wonder if there's any way you know that allows us to land in Canada.
Thank you! and Congrats again!

Last edited:

Craigcaeiro

Star Member
Mar 25, 2019
Hi @whyCorona @crackMBA @13nitinsharma @legalfalcon we really need your help and expert advice.

A lot of us like @lnmora @TechyVishal @KirtiP @paddypsinghal @Expired COPR @Sidunreal316 and myself as well (and anyone else who i may have missed out) have got our profiles updated with new COPR details on the 7th of Jan which has an expiry of 27th Feb this year. Now its been more than 2 weeks but none of us have got any AL from them so we obviously cant fly. all of us have mailed them and sent webforms to let them know, and we have called IRCC numerous times. The response we got from them was that some had an AL sent on 7th itself but obviously nothing has been received. So basically is there anything else we can do? Please do youll have any suggestion? i dont know if they wud get to our webforms in time to resend an AL. The agents on the phone said they wil put a note in our file saying that we havent got it and it needs to be resent but i doubt they wud get to it or even look at it in time as there are few weeks left till end Feb and prices of tickets are skyrocketing! Your thoughts please?

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Hi @whyCorona @crackMBA @13nitinsharma @legalfalcon we really need your help and expert advice.

A lot of us like @lnmora @TechyVishal @KirtiP @paddypsinghal @Expired COPR @Sidunreal316 and myself as well (and anyone else who i may have missed out) have got our profiles updated with new COPR details on the 7th of Jan which has an expiry of 27th Feb this year. Now its been more than 2 weeks but none of us have got any AL from them so we obviously cant fly. all of us have mailed them and sent webforms to let them know, and we have called IRCC numerous times. The response we got from them was that some had an AL sent on 7th itself but obviously nothing has been received. So basically is there anything else we can do? Please do youll have any suggestion? i dont know if they wud get to our webforms in time to resend an AL. The agents on the phone said they wil put a note in our file saying that we havent got it and it needs to be resent but i doubt they wud get to it or even look at it in time as there are few weeks left till end Feb and prices of tickets are skyrocketing! Your thoughts please?
This looks a tricky situation. You guys can book the tickets and cancel it later on. Air Canada is giving full credits. You can use that later on. This way you can at least secure your ticket.
Try mailing your Visa Office

Reactions: lnmora

Craigcaeiro

Star Member
Mar 25, 2019
This looks a tricky situation. You guys can book the tickets and cancel it later on. Air Canada is giving full credits. You can use that later on. This way you can at least secure your ticket.
We tried mailing the visa office as I found out from the IRCC agent that our files are with OTTAWA VO. We mailed them direct but got a generic reply so we sent webforms.

Reactions: crackMBA

TechyVishal

Dec 22, 2019
I have already booked the ticket for 2nd week of February with Air Canada, but now the problem is what to do if I receive the AL after 2nd week of February - let’s say 15 February in this case even if I try to book any class of ticket before 27 February then I have to pay a lot more and also I have to wrap up everything in less than 12 days!

So, I’m thinking to raise a web form and informing the Ottawa VO after 31 January (if there is no AL received till 31 Jan) that since I haven’t received AL so far and the new counterfoil updated on GC key account is going to expire on 27 February which gives me less than 30 days so I won’t be able to travel on such a short notice and request them to provide me another extension and to inform me about the same at least 45 days before the expiry of the new counterfoil!

Last edited:
Reactions: Craigcaeiro

tomx420

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
2nd option will be more safer and you will get your luggage in Toronto.

Which airline you are taking for Vancouver and which airline you are taking for Toronto? Depends on this.
Thanks @crackMBA and @whyCorona ....
So, Melbourne-Tokyo-Vancouver-Toronto route is with Japan Airlines; ticket is issued by Japan Airlines but Vancouver to Toronto is Westjet (code shared). As you suggested 2hr stopover in Vancouver may not be sufficient if the landing is done there. But this is business class tickets and was preferring this because I'm traveling with a pregnant wife and a 2yr toddler.

The Emirates/Etihad flights are longer duration (15hrs Melbourne-Dubai and 15hrs Dubai-Toronto) and economy, so sitting upright for all that time is tough.
Thanks anyways, will have to weigh in the options......Cheers!

Last edited:

tomx420

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
Hi,
For all those who have landed, I have a few questions if you could help me with:

1. Can we get the SIN at the airport (are they open 24x7)?
2. If not, the only option to get SIN is after 14 days of quarantine, correct?
3. Do I need a SIN to get OHIP? or open a bank account?
4. What address do you give for PR card and OHIP if you have absolutely no one in Canada?

Thanks, and appreciate your replies!!

tecktadka

Jan 20, 2018
I received the 4 point email in October and was asked to respond within 10 days if I can travel within 60 days.

Towards the end of the mail the below point caught my attention
"In order to continue processing your application, we must receive your response within 10 days of receipt of this email. If we do not hear from you within 10 days, we will assume that you are not able to travel to Canada within the next 60 days. Your application will remain open and placed on hold until after the travel restriction pause is lifted or until you demonstrate that you meet the criteria above."

I did not reply to the mail considering the above statement and also I was not ready to shift within 60 days to Canada without any job.
same here. now they are no longer accepting RTT webform. Not sure what to do.

dodge_JJ

Jan 10, 2021
Got copr updated on 20th Jan, no AL yet. I checked the account twice and saw some ghost updates any idea if the AL is on the way? The direct flights are rising like teslas stocks

Reactions: nathan2020EE

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Got copr updated on 20th Jan, no AL yet. I checked the account twice and saw some ghost updates any idea if the AL is on the way? The direct flights are rising like teslas stocks
Not sure what is the motive of IRCC to issue new CoPR online without AL. Ideally AL should come in 24 hrs after CoPR update.

Have you been contacted by IRCC over email for your readiness to travel in next 60 days or something like that?

dodge_JJ

Jan 10, 2021
Not sure what is the motive of IRCC to issue new CoPR online without AL. Ideally AL should come in 24 hrs after CoPR update.

Have you been contacted by IRCC over email for your readiness to travel in next 60 days or something like that?
that we got on the 18th Dec and we replied on the same day

Armank90

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Category........
PNP
Hi,
For all those who have landed, I have a few questions if you could help me with:

1. Can we get the SIN at the airport (are they open 24x7)?
2. If not, the only option to get SIN is after 14 days of quarantine, correct?
3. Do I need a SIN to get OHIP? or open a bank account?
4. What address do you give for PR card and OHIP if you have absolutely no one in Canada?

Thanks, and appreciate your replies!!
1. Not at present.
2. Correct.
3. Yes. (You also need proof of Ontario residency such as Ontario driver’s license, bills, etc.)
4. No problem; you should inform the officer that you do not have a permanent address. You'll be instructed to provide one within the next 180 days to receive your PR card. (Your PR card won't be issued until you provide an address.)

Good luck, mate.

Reactions: gtcan19 and tomx420

JNP19

Star Member
Oct 13, 2019
Please help.Is there any specific place we should do covid testing or can it be any lab which is icmr approved?