hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hi all,

Has anyone been successful in obtaining a COPR extension and authorisation to travel without providing a lease agreement or other proof of long-term housing? I am ready to travel but I can't find a place to live if I'm not in Canada, I don't know what IRCC had in mind when they put that requirement in the list of things to provide with the RTT form. I can get the 14 day quarantine place easy with AirBNB but I don't want to live in an AirBNB for 3 months just to comply with their stupid requirement.

Anyway I was planning to submit copies of (i) my employment termination notice and (ii) lease termination notice as evidence of my intent to permanently settle in Canada.

Any thoughts?
You should be fine with short term rental bookings. Likes of AirBnB with some correspondence email copies with prospective landlords who have either declined or asked you to contact them once you are here.

BTW kijiji.ca also has many short term rentals, fully furnished apartments etc. Be careful on the site as there are many fraudsters there. Kijiji advises not to pay remotely / paypal etc. But atleast you will be able to demonstrate some correspondence.

Best!

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
Hi all,

Has anyone been successful in obtaining a COPR extension and authorisation to travel without providing a lease agreement or other proof of long-term housing? I am ready to travel but I can't find a place to live if I'm not in Canada, I don't know what IRCC had in mind when they put that requirement in the list of things to provide with the RTT form. I can get the 14 day quarantine place easy with AirBNB but I don't want to live in an AirBNB for 3 months just to comply with their stupid requirement.

Anyway I was planning to submit copies of (i) my employment termination notice and (ii) lease termination notice as evidence of my intent to permanently settle in Canada.

Any thoughts?
Hello -

I also asked the same question on one of the forums - not ready to travel before next year anyway but i wanted to understand their requirements better and someone replied that you don't necessarily need a lease agreement - i mean any strong proof that you will settle there could work - i also think that it would actually be a risk to for me resign from my job before knowing when you get the travel authorisation because what if it takes more time than expected! Can't risk not having a job for too long these days...But if you have already done it then that is a good enough proof that you are willing to move there permanently!

Please do share your experience one you send out your documents - All the best!

Reactions: BillyWescott

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi all,

Any thoughts?
There is one in this thread who got AL after showing just bank statement. But I think he was just lucky to get AL by showing only POF as his bank statement. He successfully did his landing btw.

Reactions: BillyWescott

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Good points all. I will also ask some former colleagues/friends to sign affidavits that they've known me for X years and that I've quit my job and terminated my lease and all obligations to permanently relocate and settle in Canada. This should do the trick as most of them are lawyers I assume their words will have weight.

Reactions: Aliasoufan

Nimz10

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Yeah I raised a web form enquiring this.
Thanks
Hi I’m from UAE too. I asked for an extension and they asked my PP and COPR documents back. So I sent them to Abu Dhabi visa office. My COPR expiration is Feb 2021. I was told by agent my current COPR will be cancelled and they will issue me another one when I let them know that I’m ready to move. Following is the letter I received

Ps
*by mistake they have mentioned my COPR expiry as FEB 2020 but it has to be FEB 2021

Dear ****
This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. Please be advised we will be issuing a new Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and Visa Counterfoil. The COPR and Visa Counterfoil (expiry date of February 2020) currently in your possession have been cancelled. Please follow the instructions in the Ready for Visa letter and return the COPR and Visa Counterfoil currently in your possession. For more information on permanent residence in Canada, please visit our web site at: http://www.canada.ca/immigration. Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada.
Sincerely,
Don’t know what’s happening I’m worried!

Nivo0811

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Hi all,

Any thoughts?
Hey,
A lease agreement is not necessarily a requirement. They have put it as an example of one of the ways you can provide as proof. What they need to be absolutely certain of is the quarantine plan and if you have a place to stay during that 14 day period and you have the necessary funds to support yourself.
So letters of termination, air bnb bookings, and so on are some of things you can provide as proof of your intent to permanently settle in Canada.
For example, our file is a Sponsorship file, so it made no sense that they would ask for my husband’s bank statements considering, that I, the Sponsor, is legally responsible for his finances over the course of two years while in Canada. But we submitted it anyway, because you just have to roll with it. So provide what you can provide, and let them know that you intend to stay at this air bnb for such a period of time until you find a place to rent or purchase.
We will be staying with my parents until we find a home to purchase because my husband needs to be in Canada before we make such a big decision, so I submitted a letter from my parents stating that we will be residing with them until we fine a home of our own.
I hope this information helps.

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Hey,
A lease agreement is not necessarily a requirement. They have put it as an example of one of the ways you can provide as proof. What they need to be absolutely certain of is the quarantine plan and if you have a place to stay during that 14 day period and you have the necessary funds to support yourself.
So letters of termination, air bnb bookings, and so on are some of things you can provide as proof of your intent to permanently settle in Canada.
For example, our file is a Sponsorship file, so it made no sense that they would ask for my husband’s bank statements considering, that I, the Sponsor, is legally responsible for his finances over the course of two years while in Canada. But we submitted it anyway, because you just have to roll with it. So provide what you can provide, and let them know that you intend to stay at this air bnb for such a period of time until you find a place to rent or purchase.
We will be staying with my parents until we find a home to purchase because my husband needs to be in Canada before we make such a big decision, so I submitted a letter from my parents stating that we will be residing with them until we fine a home of our own.
I hope this information helps.
Can you book the AirBNB after they revert to you giving you the green light to book a flight and retake the medical visit?

I wanted to tell them I'm ready to book my flight and AirBNB but waiting for their green light to go ahead. I kind of don't want to book an AirBNB until I know they are working on my file.

Nivo0811

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Can you book the AirBNB after they revert to you giving you the green light to book a flight and retake the medical visit?

I wanted to tell them I'm ready to book my flight and AirBNB but waiting for their green light to go ahead. I kind of don't want to book an AirBNB until I know they are working on my file.
I think it would be more beneficial for you to show that you have made such a booking. Honestly, a lot of Airbnb’s are offering free cancellation and are being flexible with that. So you can book and cancel at a later time if needed.

pororo

Jul 2, 2019
Hi I’m from UAE too. I asked for an extension and they asked my PP and COPR documents back. So I sent them to Abu Dhabi visa office. My COPR expiration is Feb 2021. I was told by agent my current COPR will be cancelled and they will issue me another one when I let them know that I’m ready to move. Following is the letter I received

Ps
*by mistake they have mentioned my COPR expiry as FEB 2020 but it has to be FEB 2021

Dear ****
This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. Please be advised we will be issuing a new Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and Visa Counterfoil. The COPR and Visa Counterfoil (expiry date of February 2020) currently in your possession have been cancelled. Please follow the instructions in the Ready for Visa letter and return the COPR and Visa Counterfoil currently in your possession. For more information on permanent residence in Canada, please visit our web site at: http://www.canada.ca/immigration. Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada.
Sincerely,
Don’t know what’s happening I’m worried!
Hi,

Did you check the expiry date in the GCKey website? Does it say Feb 2020 or Feb 2021? Its better to check and confirm the date in the account and check if it matches with your COPR...

Canigo

Aug 4, 2020

I agree with Nivo0811, just book a cancellable airbnb, some of them are slightly more expensive than regular bookings but you have the option to cancel until a day or two earlier.

Nimz10

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Hi,

Did you check the expiry date in the GCKey website? Does it say Feb 2020 or Feb 2021? Its better to check and confirm the date in the account and check if it matches with your COPR...
I didn’t check it there as only my agent has access to GCKey log in. But in COPR it’s mentioned Feb 2021 and that should be correct coz I did my medical on Feb 2020 only. I’m quite worried with the fact that they gonna cancel my current visa and then issue new visa only when I inform them when I’m ready to move. Just scare me with the thought what if they won’t grant COPR again ( but in the letter they mentioned that they will be issuing a new one though) I’m quite worried and nervous

pororo

Jul 2, 2019
I didn’t check it there as only my agent has access to GCKey log in. But in COPR it’s mentioned Feb 2021 and that should be correct coz I did my medical on Feb 2020 only. I’m quite worried with the fact that they gonna cancel my current visa and then issue new visa only when I inform them when I’m ready to move. Just scare me with the thought what if they won’t grant COPR again ( but in the letter they mentioned that they will be issuing a new one though) I’m quite worried and nervous
Please don't worry. Even if they ask you to contact again when you are ready to move, it means you will be granted COPR based on the procedure for expired COPRs. At max, you might have to give medicals again and it will take a while to get the approval (based on what other people with expired COPRs are going through). But no need to worry about "not being granted a COPR", at worst, it will just be a delay.

I am assuming you have already submitted the passport and COPR. So just wait and try not to think too much. I know its difficult and easy to say.

In the meantime, can't you get access to your GCKey account from your agent? Or atleast ask him/her to clarify the date once again? Atleast you can be sure, everything is correct on your end..

Reactions: hinavin and Nimz10

Nimz10

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Please don't worry. Even if they ask you to contact again when you are ready to move, it means you will be granted COPR based on the procedure for expired COPRs. At max, you might have to give medicals again and it will take a while to get the approval (based on what other people with expired COPRs are going through). But no need to worry about "not being granted a COPR", at worst, it will just be a delay.

I am assuming you have already submitted the passport and COPR. So just wait and try not to think too much. I know its difficult and easy to say.

In the meantime, can't you get access to your GCKey account from your agent? Or atleast ask him/her to clarify the date once again? Atleast you can be sure, everything is correct on your end..
Thanks for your comforting words and it means a lot. Yeah I received my COPR and visa on Oct 27th and I asked for a visa extension then only they asked me to submit my PP and visa docs to Canadian embassy again as mentioned in the letter which I posted above. I have already returned my PP and COPR docs and now waiting for my PP back. Yeah I’ll ask for the access from my agent. Thank u once again. God bless!

Haydi

Star Member
Apr 2, 2020
Thanks for your comforting words and it means a lot. Yeah I received my COPR and visa on Oct 27th and I asked for a visa extension then only they asked me to submit my PP and visa docs to Canadian embassy again as mentioned in the letter which I posted above. I have already returned my PP and COPR docs and now waiting for my PP back. Yeah I’ll ask for the access from my agent. Thank u once again. God bless!
Don’t worry, everything will be ok. I raised one web form asking for an extension and they told me to let them know when I’m ready to travel. May I know how you have requested this, through web form or through email?

Reactions: Nimz10

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I really doubt this move by your VO. Just double confirm if your passport is with your agent or with your Visa Office. Usually VO does not keep the passports and then ask you for your readiness to travel.