+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Craigcaeiro

Star Member
Mar 25, 2019
NDVO will most probably be asking for resubmitting of passport as well, to delay things as much as possible , although they say they will give ETA , there words are just not worth it !!
If they do that, with the amount of people submitting passports for restamping, the whole process is going to go on forever! I hope they stick to ETA. They are just keeping us hanging for way too long!

mgodara

Apr 8, 2019
Hi Guys, anyone got any COPR extension for applicants from the US? I raised the Web Form about a month ago and haven't heard anything yet. My COPR expired in May and now the medical certificate is in 6 months grace period (expiring already but assuming IRCC will give 6 months extension on medical).

Anyone here got an extension on COPR or travel authorization from the US? Any other suggestion on how I can get a response from IRCC?

JohnLogan

Sep 11, 2020
All

I’m a long time lurker and want to thank everyone for all the valuable information these recent months. We (family of four, 2 adults 2 young kids) finally decided to take the plunge and travelled on Monday from Mauritius to Dubai, Dubai to Toronto and then to Montreal. The experience could not have been smoother.

Emirates were fully aware of the travel exemptions linked to COPRs issued before 18 March, so check-in was a breeze, no questions asked once they saw the counterfoil. At Dubai we had to leave the airport as transit was 33 hours but all our luggage was already tagged to Montreal so we didn’t have to carry our 8 suitcases out. Thank god for that. We spent a day just going around (the heat is unbearable there, uuurgh). Check-in on the Wednesday was smooth as well. They checked the counterfoil and no questions asked. They also checked us in for the WestJet flight from Toronto to Montreal and printed the boarding passes. Then off for 14 hours of travel (*sigh*).

I wasn’t really aware that you have to go through the landing procedures at your first point of entry no matter what your final destination might be, but that was well communicated to us once we got to Toronto. I started to worry that this would complicate things with all the luggage and the connection, but we had 6 hours so plenty of time.

At the first counter, the immigration officer took our passports, asked us if we had a plan for self quarantine and groceries, to which we replied yes. We were about to whip out the printed reservation for the AirBnB to prove this but she was clearly not interested. Next up was the landing procedures desk. Again, a breeze. The agent took our passports and COPRs, asked us about address for PR cards, told us to wait a moment for her to get the paperwork ready and we were done barely ten minutes later.

Our luggage was already out when we got to the luggage hall. They have porters there with trolleys to assist you (for a fee of course, with tipping required). We got all the luggage on one big trolley and off to customs for your ‘goods to follow’ form. If you do have this form you need to go through the ‘goods to declare’ line. Again here, no problem. The officer was very friendly. He stamped the form and gave us a receipt. He never asked about the eight big suitcases we were carrying and what we had in them.

So that was that. It barely took an hour. We were now permanent residents of Canada. After 6 years of waiting and a lot of stress and uncertainty in those last few months. But we were not in Montreal yet!

We had been on the road for almost 20 hours at this stage and I wasn’t looking forward to more desks and procedures. Well, I shouldn’t have worried. As our luggage was already tagged to Montreal, the porter just took them to a conveyor and off they went. No questions asked. He then told us to go to Terminal 3. I paid and tipped him and off we were. As we were already checked in on the flight, here again nobody was interested apart from standard basic security procedures, so we just walked in the airside section.

The flight was uneventful. I simply could not believe what happened next. We got to Montreal airport and there was absolutely no desks to go to. We left the plane, collected our luggage and walked out of the airport. Just like that. Despite this being 11pm, there was a long line of taxis waiting outside and a supervisor just got us a mini van that could carry all our suitcases. Half an hour later we were sleeping in our beds.

Yup, if this all read like a dull trip, it’s because it was. I had imagined all sorts of worst case scenarios, but none of that came to pass. Things might very complicated for those unable to travel regarding extensions (and I hope it gets sorted out sooner rather than later), but for those who can travel before expiry, my experience suggests that there is little to worry about.

Except maybe how to beat boredom for 14 days..... 13 days to go (*double sigh*).

Cheers.

NarendarM

Apr 13, 2019
AOR Received.
29-05-2019
Oh great, ok please do help us with ur journey experience as I m travelling after that. Also do u know if we need to do covid test prior to boarding ? N what’s the validity period of that test.
It's not required for Canada, at least for Air Canada

NarendarM

Apr 13, 2019
AOR Received.
29-05-2019
If you are travelling via Dubai, it's required, mandatory in Dubai..
But it's no where mentioned IRCC or AirCanada or any other airways. If we are travelling directly from India to Toronto, not required

Reactions: pumpkin_latte

JohnLogan

Sep 11, 2020
If you are travelling via Dubai, it's required, mandatory in Dubai..
But it's no where mentioned IRCC or AirCanada or any other airways. If we are travelling directly from India to Toronto, not required
yes, Emirates will not let you onboard without a test and the immigration officer At DXB will ask you for it. Canada does not require it and they didn’t ask for one at the counters.

Johnjones222

Sep 10, 2020
Hello everyone, I just found this thread and i think my situation is more related to this thread so i post it here as well. my aor is nov 15th 2019, Cec, and as per my gems notes my application was approved back in July, 3 weeks ago I received a phone call from IRCc Etobioke And was told it was the landing interview and the agent asked me detailed questions about my education , employment, various dates etc. it’s really wired, Since usually at the end of landing interview they say for example congrats you’re now pr etc and send copr shortly, but so far no communication from them , at the beginning of interview agent said if anything is kept , lied about etc I will be rejected and then said no need to bring any documents and started asking question.from what I had read landing interviews usually take max 2 or 3 minutes with 3 simple questions , nothing makes sense to me in regards to this interview, usually service Canada agents conduct landing interviews ,but the agent introduced himself as immigration. interview lasted 20 minutes and at the end the agent told me that an officer will review this interview and make the final decision, Also around 9:15 am today I saw a ghost update on my account first since March. Not sure why I got a ghost update since application was approved back in July and not sure what is left to work on the application after approval. Could it be that they have reopened the application to reverse the approved decision because of the result of the interview and this ghost update indicates that? I called ircc earlier today in regards to this issue, I asked if this was a scam and also why I haven’t received copr right after this interview , the agent said this was a genuine landing interview from ircc and currently they are doing the administrative process of issuing the copr letter and I should receive it via email or online Shortly. But since I had read here that even after virtual landing interviews copr is either already signed or will be signed like an hour or two after the interview is done and will be sent right after, I asked the agent why this is talking this long and agent stated it’s because of the current COVID situation. Not sure what to think since the landing phone call interviewing agent At the end of the interview said an officer will make a final decision based on the result of the interview and now the ircc call center agent states copr is being processed and will be sent shorty. The whole situation is really weird and haven’t been able to find a case that matches mine. Never seen A case in which ircc reviews the approved application decision after landing interview to see if they want to keep approval or reject either.

has anyone else received a similar call ? No copr or ppr yet ,don’t understand how an officer would be able to review the interview and make the decision when the application was approved and done back in July.Is there a chance of rejection at this point?

Any input would be much appreciated,

andrella_malton

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
yes, Emirates will not let you onboard without a test and the immigration officer At DXB will ask you for it. Canada does not require it and they didn’t ask for one at the counters.
I am asking from Indian boarding point of view, you know they may ask, so how we confirm before going to airport in india.

Last edited:

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
Hi Guys, anyone got any COPR extension for applicants from the US? I raised the Web Form about a month ago and haven't heard anything yet. My COPR expired in May and now the medical certificate is in 6 months grace period (expiring already but assuming IRCC will give 6 months extension on medical).

Anyone here got an extension on COPR or travel authorization from the US? Any other suggestion on how I can get a response from IRCC?
Hey, I am also in the US, with an expiring COPR and medical. Would you mind letting me know where you learned about the "6 months grace period" (on top of the usual 12months I assume)? Is it granted just for you?

Reactions: BillyWescott

aperi

Mar 3, 2020

Hi,
Last week I got a new message on my account with a new PPR. My COPR expired on July 9th 2020, and last week I got a new PPR to submit my passports again for new COPR. I live in the US, hope this helps.

@mgodara what is your Visa status in the US, hope you do not mind me asking.

Msin2020

Sep 9, 2020
Hi,
Last week I got a new message on my account with a new PPR. My COPR expired on July 9th 2020, and last week I got a new PPR to submit my passports again for new COPR. I live in the US, hope this helps.

@mgodara what is your Visa status in the US, hope you do not mind me asking.
When did you fill the web form? I am also in US holding expired COPR. Raised the web form earlier this month. Thanks.

aperi

Mar 3, 2020
When did you fill the web form? I am also in US holding expired COPR. Raised the web form earlier this month. Thanks.
Surprisingly I did not raise a ready to travel web form. I just raised a web form before my COPR expiry informing them I will not be able to travel.
Anyone here with an approved H1B but no stamping yet ?