+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Batina

Jul 30, 2020
Hi Guys, I would like to share my experience.
My PPR was early march and CoPR expiry date was first week of September. We were based in Riyadh and Saudi Arabia has commercial flights suspended from March till now. Only special flights are being operative.

We waited patiently in hope of the travel ban being lifted but nothing came up. Therefore, mid-August we decided to get special flights and move over to Canada - since jobs are still being done on remote basis (so it was not a problem).

We took KLM flight (they had requirement to get Covid-test done not more than 72 hours before the flight). Our flight was 24th early morning. We did our tests on 21st night and got results 22nd early morning.

After landing at Canada Airport on 24th August morning:
1. Immigration Officer (1st):
After getting off from plane, we got to the first screening immigration officer. He looked at our passports and KLM own health screening checks. He inquired us the purpose to which we responded that we are landing first time. He asked us if we have the 14 day quarantine plan ready to which we responded that yes we booked furnished apartment for more than 14 days. He asked if other people were living to which we replied that no one else will live with us in the apartment. He asked how we will manage groceries - to which we responded that we will do online. Then he directed us to go inside to complete the first landing documentation requirement.

2. Immigration Officer (2nd):
It was not crowded but officers took time to process each individual cases. Our turn - it was very smooth. The officer asked us for CoPRs and passports. Checked the details and gave us CoPR client copy to us. Asked us for the permanent address to which PR cards will be delivered. Informed us that normally it took 6 weeks before covid for the cards, now it would be longer. She suggested that it would be better to get PR cards and then leave the country, however, if we need to go before we get the PR card, it is not a problem. In case we want to come back and don't have PR card, we will have to get a visa from embassy in our country and we could come easily. Then we asked if we can get our SIN number from the airport. She checked and responded that ppl from SIN offices are not coming to Airport branch but we can do it easily from anywhere in Canada after our 14 day quarantine. Then she stamped our CoPRs and gave us back our passport. Welcomed us to Canada as Permanent Residents and told us that CoPR would act like PR card for anything that we want to do until we get PR cards.

3. Baggage:
By the time we cleared immigration, our baggage were all there and we collected and proceeded to Customs.

4. Customs:
We went through "To Declare" section and gave Goods accompanying and Goods to Follow list to the Custom Officer. Please make sure you have 2 copies of these lists. We only took one and the poor guy had to do the copy for his record himself. He asked for a permanent address here. We gave him the same address as we gave for the PR cards. It was an address of family friend.

After clearing customs we exited the Airport and got to our place via Uber. This is the latest landing experience. If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help out.
Thanks for the detailed write up. Really appreciate it!

Reactions: SambaBlue

Canigo

Aug 4, 2020
Dear Client,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Clients with expired Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) documents remain a priority. However, there have been many service disruptions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you have not already done so, please submit documents supporting your ability to relocate to Canada permanently using the webform. Please ensure your wait for IRCC to respond regarding next steps and do not make travel arrangements until you receive the appropriate authorization.

You are also encouraged to register for settlement services, which are now available in India by phone or video. You can register at www.planningforcanada.ca to set up a session.

For regular updates please continue to follow us on social media by clicking the Twitter and Facebook icons below.

Regards,
Thank you for posting this !
What kind of documents have you submitted or are going to submit as they mentioned?

Captain789

May 27, 2018
Hey, did anyone reach Service Canada by phone? I'm trying to check my Sin's application status, but they suggest me to wait either for 1 hour or due to the high volume of calls they can't put me in line...

Tango1988

Aug 6, 2020
My PPR was early march and CoPR expiry date was first week of September. We were based in Riyadh and Saudi Arabia has commercial flights suspended from March till now. Only special flights are being operative.

We waited patiently in hope of the travel ban being lifted but nothing came up. Therefore, mid-August we decided to get special flights and move over to Canada - since jobs are still being done on remote basis (so it was not a problem).

We took KLM flight (they had requirement to get Covid-test done not more than 72 hours before the flight). Our flight was 24th early morning. We did our tests on 21st night and got results 22nd early morning.

After getting off from plane, we got to the first screening immigration officer. He looked at our passports and KLM own health screening checks. He inquired us the purpose to which we responded that we are landing first time. He asked us if we have the 14 day quarantine plan ready to which we responded that yes we booked furnished apartment for more than 14 days. He asked if other people were living to which we replied that no one else will live with us in the apartment. He asked how we will manage groceries - to which we responded that we will do online. Then he directed us to go inside to complete the first landing documentation requirement.

It was not crowded but officers took time to process each individual cases. Our turn - it was very smooth. The officer asked us for CoPRs and passports. Checked the details and gave us CoPR client copy to us. Asked us for the permanent address to which PR cards will be delivered. Informed us that normally it took 6 weeks before covid for the cards, now it would be longer. She suggested that it would be better to get PR cards and then leave the country, however, if we need to go before we get the PR card, it is not a problem. In case we want to come back and don't have PR card, we will have to get a visa from embassy in our country and we could come easily. Then we asked if we can get our SIN number from the airport. She checked and responded that ppl from SIN offices are not coming to Airport branch but we can do it easily from anywhere in Canada after our 14 day quarantine. Then she stamped our CoPRs and gave us back our passport. Welcomed us to Canada as Permanent Residents and told us that CoPR would act like PR card for anything that we want to do until we get PR cards.

3. Baggage:
By the time we cleared immigration, our baggage were all there and we collected and proceeded to Customs.

4. Customs:
We went through "To Declare" section and gave Goods accompanying and Goods to Follow list to the Custom Officer. Please make sure you have 2 copies of these lists. We only took one and the poor guy had to do the copy for his record himself. He asked for a permanent address here. We gave him the same address as we gave for the PR cards. It was an address of family friend.

After clearing customs we exited the Airport and got to our place via Uber. This is the latest landing experience. If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help out.
Really appreciate the detailed explanation of the process @SambaBlue! Thankyou!

markmw

Feb 3, 2019

3. Baggage:

4. Customs:

Thanks, this is very helpful. Do you happen to know who's requiring the Covid test? KLM on their website don't ask for it and they just say some countries might. And as far as I know, Canada isn't asking either

SambaBlue

Mar 6, 2020
Thanks, this is very helpful. Do you happen to know who's requiring the Covid test? KLM on their website don't ask for it and they just say some countries might. And as far as I know, Canada isn't asking either
Actually our agent that booked the special flight suggested us to conduct the test to avoid any hiccups. When we went to the Airport in Saudi Arabia - the boarding guy actually asked another person if he has PCR test. The one that we went to did not ask for it. So, I guess it all depends on where you are flying from.

IanBradbury

Oct 29, 2016
Hi, has anyone here used the ArriveCan app? I have a few questions regarding the app:
1) is it necessary or optional to use the app?
2) will the app work without mobile data at POE?
3) The app asks to input flight details. Should we enter the first flight that brings us to POE, or connecting flight to final destination where we will be self isolating?

TIA
Hi, did you ever find an answer to question 3? I have been trying to find out the same thing

IanBradbury

Oct 29, 2016
Hello
My mom 's flight is on June 15th. Her COPR was issued in February. She will land in Montreal airport and will take another flight to come to Toronto where she will quarantine with me for 14 days.
I understand that all the landing and cbsa processes will have to be completed in Montreal.
Can anyone please share their experience with ARRIVECAN app?
Thanks!
Hello. Did you your mom enter the final destination flight or the first point of entry in Montreal?

SambaBlue

Mar 6, 2020
Hi, did you ever find an answer to question 3? I have been trying to find out the same thing
Its actually an alternate option. In flight they will provide information forms or they will say that if you will provide information via ARRIVECAN app then you can do that. It's either of the two. We opted for forms since they were easier to fill and we only mentioned about the flight that bring us to Toronto. (no mention about connecting flight). We then gave those forms to a person who was collecting them. No issues noted.

SambaBlue

Mar 6, 2020
Hi, has anyone here used the ArriveCan app? I have a few questions regarding the app:
1) is it necessary or optional to use the app?
2) will the app work without mobile data at POE?
3) The app asks to input flight details. Should we enter the first flight that brings us to POE, or connecting flight to final destination where we will be self isolating?

TIA
1. Optional. It's either information via printed forms (that they provide in flight) or ArriveCan app. We opted for printed forms.
2. Free wifi is present at Toronto Pearson Airport so you can use that to fill the app.
3. Flight information that brings you to Canada. Like our trip was Damam to Amsterdam and then Amsterdam to Toronto. We mentioned the 2nd one. No issues were raised.

IanBradbury

Oct 29, 2016
Its actually an alternate option. In flight they will provide information forms or they will say that if you will provide information via ARRIVECAN app then you can do that. It's either of the two. We opted for forms since they were easier to fill and we only mentioned about the flight that bring us to Toronto. (no mention about connecting flight). We then gave those forms to a person who was collecting them. No issues noted.
Thanks. I would like to use arrivecan, but the option is not clear. I think i'll just have to take literally and say my arrival flight into the country even if it's not where i'm ending up

Nivo0811

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Hi everyone,
I hope somebody can provide me with some clarity. To my understanding, right now the first step in the process of expired CoPRs is that we send a ready to travel webform. We should then expect to receive a generic message saying it’s been sent to the appropriate VO or get instruction email asking for further information about your plans for living permanently in Canada: address/lease/work/proof of funds/plane tickets etc. Once the requested information is forwarded to the VO they then confirm the information you’ve provided and forward a Letter of Authorization. The LoA expires within 2 months-
If unable to travel to travel in those two months you must start the process over, correct?
In gist, they are no longer requesting passports or extending the actual CoPR, or am I misunderstanding?
Also, in the information you provide can you tell them the proposed date you want to travel for example in December?
Ughhhh this is such a confusing time.

Reactions: FatemahPK

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi everyone,
I hope somebody can provide me with some clarity. To my understanding, right now the first step in the process of expired CoPRs is that we send a ready to travel webform. We should then expect to receive a generic message saying it’s been sent to the appropriate VO or get instruction email asking for further information about your plans for living permanently in Canada: address/lease/work/proof of funds/plane tickets etc. Once the requested information is forwarded to the VO they then confirm the information you’ve provided and forward a Letter of Authorization. The LoA expires within 2 months-
If unable to travel to travel in those two months you must start the process over, correct?
In gist, they are no longer requesting passports or extending the actual CoPR, or am I misunderstanding?
Also, in the information you provide can you tell them the proposed date you want to travel for example in December?
Ughhhh this is such a confusing time.
It depends upon VO what they want ETA or issuance of CoPR again. If you are ready to travel then raise the webform with supporting documents (determining that you are travelling to settle in Canada) instead of waiting for VO to ask for those documents. For travel you need to provide proposed date. If ETA is issued and you could not travel within the expiry date then you are back in queue for CoPR extension.

Captain789

May 27, 2018
Hey, did anyone reach Service Canada by phone? I'm trying to check my Sin's application status, but they suggest me to wait either for 1 hour or due to the high volume of calls they can't put me in line...

Nivo0811

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
So the VO decides if they will actually extend the CoPR and request passport for updated visa or issue a Letter of Authorization? That’s really weird to let the VO decide, it should be the same across the board for everyone, no? Or when they ask if you are able to travel within 60 days, your answer depends on what they will request. How do they decide this? Lol
But that’s a good idea about submitting the necessary information before waiting on them to ask for it. Do you think when I submit the webform I can tell them I plan to travel in December? because it will give us more time to sell things here and get things going in Canada.
I know everyone is doing the best they can during these crazy times, I just wish they would make things more clear cut.

It depends upon VO what they want ETA or issuance of CoPR again. If you are ready to travel then raise the webform with supporting documents (determining that you are travelling to settle in Canada) instead of waiting for VO to ask for those documents. For travel you need to provide proposed date. If ETA is issued and you could not travel within the expiry date then you are back in queue for CoPR extension.