+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

13nitinsharma

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2012
Canada
Seems like the travel-restrictions-exemptions page was updated a couple of days ago: The section: "Travellers coming from outside the US who are exempt from the travel restrictions" now says "Any person who has been approved to become a permanent resident of Canada, but who is not yet a permanent resident".
Earlier (up until July 23rd) it stated "Some Approved Permanent Residents".
This effectively means anyone with a valid COPR can now land?
Click on the hyperink - approved to become a permanent resident of Canada and you will be redirected to the page with travel restrictions and exemptions details. No changes to travel restrictions.

markmw

Feb 3, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I have a COPR and planning to move to Canada from the USA.

Could you please answer my below queries:

1) Can I work for a USA company from Canada as my company is US-based? Do I need any work authorization documents from Canada?

2) If my company will transfer me to it's Canada division, then can I work without SIN from Canada?

3) how much time it takes to get a PR card and SIN?

Stay Safe.

Thanks.
1) You can but please check thoroughly what will be the tax filing implications in both countries

2) You will need SIN. I was transferred by company and once it's final they asked for copy of my SIN document and my PR card copy ( CoPR copy would also be acceptable)

Reactions: wondergirl88

butterflyins

Star Member
Nov 17, 2019
Click on the hyperink - approved to become a permanent resident of Canada and you will be redirected to the page with travel restrictions and exemptions details. No changes to travel restrictions.
That is true, and you're right that further clarification is needed, because it is just strange and intriguing to update a page in that manner: From 'Some' to 'Any'.

Last edited:

nt13

Sep 1, 2017
All those who are thinking of Soft Landing despite IRCC guidelines against it, for those particularly from India, just sharing few thoughts.

How do you guys plan to return back to India, maybe after 15-30 days of stay?

1. If normal flights don’t resume, will you guys be able to take a VBM either directly (if they announce) or even through Europe/ USA for returning? Has anyone thought about it ? There are very strong and specific criteria to people returning to India to board VBM flights, hope you guys have checked.

2. Someone here who has landed permanently had clarified that the CBSA officials had told him to ensure he doesn’t leave the country without PR card, which nowadays is like a 2-3 months timeline. Sounds a very clear indication of raising few questions by IRCC / CBSA later when you plan to seek re-entry by requesting PRTD, in case you do not get the PR card by that time through some other route.

Just some thoughts on soft landing, nothing otherwise.

Good luck!

Last edited:

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
It is not a crime to do soft landing and but IRCC and CBSA might have follow-up measures since they have your departure record. Even if you manage to do soft landing, you still need to go through a lengthy procedure of getting Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) once you intent to go back to Canada.

All in all, you can do a soft landing to confirm your PR if you *really* have to. Otherwise I suggest you do the *right* thing for your own peace of mind and safety of others.
Thanks for putting this into words. I was trying to convince the same but sometime people think otherwise.

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Hi all,

On 25th July morning, I landed Toronto from Delhi via Air India VBM flight. The flight was on time and landed on time. All the food and water kept in front of the seat. Landed safely and after couple of hours of formalities at Pearson airport ( bit crowded on that day, surprisingly) , went to my quarantine place ( Private room with private washroom, common kitchen and laundry) through Uber taxi. I told the airbnb host clearly that I am coming for quarantine before booking and she agreed. Actually I tried with 4 or 5 places and finally only one accepted me for quarantine purpose. My advice is that, if you book airbnb, please chat with host, get confirmation and then only book to avoid any conflicts later. There are quite a number hosts offer quarantine stay but you need to confirm the purpose before booking.

At Pearson airport, they asked me the quarantine plan including how I would avail food and other essentials. I told about airbnb in detail and went to immigration counter. They asked only 4 questions - Do you have any criminal records , any other dependents, PR card address, How much money that I carry. Nothing else. He asked me to sign the COPR copies. That is all. I carried 7000 CAD plus bank statement but he did not ask for any proof or follow up question on POF. At immigration desk, I spent only about less than 10 mins.

After that, I collected my check in bags, went to customs desk and gave them the list of goods to follow. They did not ask me any question and gave an acknowledgment and receipt that I should produce while bringing those items.

After serving 14 days quarantine, I am planning to complete other formalities that are essential to work in Canada.

My gratitude to all of those who are in this forum for sharing their experiences and suggestions, which are really helping each other. I wish and pray that all of you have your turns soon. Thank you.

NaveenT

Jun 9, 2020
Landed in Canada

Kochi - Delhi - Doha - Toronto - Calgary

50 long grueling hours with a 2 year old in tow

My CoPR was supposed to expire on the 26th of July and with the current situation in India, i wasn't sure if taking an extension was the right thing to do. There was absolutely no clarity on the procedures after being granted an extension and a timeline on when we'd get our new visas. I'd quit my job and put every resource available on this. So we decided to take the plunge and booked tickets on Qatar airways on the 22nd of July. It cost us 4 kidneys, two arms and legs each, and 1 each for the toddler, but the decision was made.

Flight 1 - COK to DEL
Date: 22nd July, 2020
Time: 12.30 pm
Airline: Vistara

Flight 2 - DEL to DOHA
Time: 8.30 pm
Airline: Qatar Airways

Flight 3 - DOHA to TORONTO
Date: 23rd July, 2020
Time: 8.30 am

Flight 4: TORONTO to CALGARY
Time: 8.15 pm
Airline: Air Canada

Couple of things to note:

1. Domestic airlines allow excess baggage at exorbitant prices at the moment. With Vistara, its 5000Rs for an excess of 15 kgs, plus you'd have to pay 8000Rs plus for an extra bag, which takes it to around 13k in total.

2. Leave ample time in between flights. We'd given a good 5 hrs in Delhi for the next flight to doha and it still wasn't enough. We barely made it to the flight

3. Landing procedures in Canada take a lot more time than usual. Our queue wasn't long, but there were only just 2 counters functioning. An another 5 hour gap in Toronto did nothing for us and again, we barely made it to the next flight

4. Everything in Canada is done on a kiosk when you land, so be careful about what you fill in. Take your time and don't rush. A lot of people were grappling with the new system and there's no one to help you.

5. Immigration is going to take time, so make sure you've ample time to eat and hydrate before you move on to the next leg of your flight. We thought 5 hours would be enough to complete our formalities and take a break for ourselves. Boy, were we wrong

6. Quarantine is strictly enforced in Canada. You'll be fined or jailed if you're found in violation. This is our 3rd day in quarantine with a rambunctious 2 year old and its not easy. But there's no other way.

AT DELHI

if you're coming from an another state, be prepared for the long queues in front of the airport. They just have 2 entry points for international travelers and it's at the far end of the airport. To get to the entry point, you've to go through a long queue where your luggage will be sanitised. And that machine doesn't work half of the time. So leave extra time for that. Once you're in, you'll be greeted with an another long queue at check in. If you've a baby with you, you might get preference here ;) Oh, and you'll require a self declaration form ready before your enter the airport. If you don't have one, make sure you get one from the counter and fill in all the details beforehand

Immigration formalities here take a lot of time. Keep your documents ready and keep a eye out on your watch. We barely made it to the flight and in the end we'd people coming in search of us.

TO GET TO THE INTERNATIONAL DEPARTURE - This may sound funny, but there were no elevators functioning when we arrived and there wasn't anyone to guide us through. A lot of us who had come from other states found it difficult to locate the departure entry. For those who don't know - exit the airport, take a left, walk a couple of meters and if you're lucky enough, you might find a functioning elevator that'll take you 4 floors above. If not, strap in and prepare yourself to haul yourself and your luggage over 4 floors on a ramp.

AT DOHA

We'd thankfully booked a room at the airport hotel as the layover was for over 10 hours. We didn't have to worry about luggage either and so it was smooth sailing most of the time.

AT TORONTO

Once you land, get your documents ready, find a kiosk and enter your details. Move to the first counter, you'll be greeted by an immigration official. All your declarations, your landing permits, your quarantine addresses will be checked here. You'll be given a declaration form on the flight en route, which will have to be given here at this point.

Next, you'll be greeted with an another long queue. Your PR card formalities gets completed here. Keep your documents ready, your CoPR and your passports go in first. Next they ask you for your bank statements, any criminal records and if you were denied visas before, your quarantine plans and how you plan to survive during quarantine. They'll not accept shared accommodations. If they are not satisfied with with your quarantine plans, and if you're lucky enough, they might take you to a government specified quarantine facility, which I've heard is really really good. You can stay at Toronto airport for a day before you catch a connection flight. But only if have to. We'd Toronto mentioned as our landing destination in our CoPR and our quarantine address as Calgary. It created a lot of confusion, but we managed to sort it out. If you've brought money on a forex card, it doesn't mean anything to them. Declare the total number, be it plastic money or paper.

If you plan to catch a domestic flight, exit the airport, take a left, find an elevator that'll take you to the trains. Thankfully, the elevators were functioning here ;) Check in at Terminal 1. We'd booked for Air Canada and they're going to charge you for everything they can find. I'd already paid for our seats and extra baggage while booking and they still demanded 160 CAD extra. Asked them to re check my tickets and it kind of seemed to clear the confusion. I'm not sure if they tried to pull a fast one on me here.

AT CALGARY

We'd booked a hotel through a cousin of mine here. If you make a booking from India, they're going to charge you unreasonable prices. Try to see you if you can get someone to book locally. We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel, where we were briefed on our quarantine procedures. There'd be NO CONTACT AT ALL. You'll have to arrange your own food, there'd be no house keeping and most important of all, DON'T STEP OUT OF YOUR ROOM. Our first night here put this in perspective. There was someone else in quarantine here in the adjacent room. Apparently, they'd stepped out. Police were called and by 3.45 am, they were taken away.

** Note for parents with babies

You can bring as much as food you want for your baby from your home, be it formula, cerelac, or anything cooked, but only up until Canada. Once in Canada and you need to make a connection flight, ensure you've all your bottled liquids drained out before you go for security check in. They won't let anything in liquid form into the flight.

I know this is such a long post, but I hope it helps anyone intending to make their first landing in the current circumstances.

PS: flights will be packed to the hilt. Make sure you've disinfectant sprays and wipes, sanitizers and face shields on you at all times. All of 100 ml each in a bottle

butterflyins

Star Member
Nov 17, 2019
Hi all,

On 25th July morning, I landed Toronto from Delhi via Air India VBM flight. The flight was on time and landed on time. All the food and water kept in front of the seat. Landed safely and after couple of hours of formalities at Pearson airport ( bit crowded on that day, surprisingly) , went to my quarantine place ( Private room with private washroom, common kitchen and laundry) through Uber taxi. I told the airbnb host clearly that I am coming for quarantine before booking and she agreed. Actually I tried with 4 or 5 places and finally only one accepted me for quarantine purpose. My advice is that, if you book airbnb, please chat with host, get confirmation and then only book to avoid any conflicts later. There are quite a number hosts offer quarantine stay but you need to confirm the purpose before booking.

At Pearson airport, they asked me the quarantine plan including how I would avail food and other essentials. I told about airbnb in detail and went to immigration counter. They asked only 4 questions - Do you have any criminal records , any other dependents, PR card address, How much money that I carry. Nothing else. He asked me to sign the COPR copies. That is all. I carried 7000 CAD plus bank statement but he did not ask for any proof or follow up question on POF. At immigration desk, I spent only about less than 10 mins.

After that, I collected my check in bags, went to customs desk and gave them the list of goods to follow. They did not ask me any question and gave an acknowledgment and receipt that I should produce while bringing those items.

After serving 14 days quarantine, I am planning to complete other formalities that are essential to work in Canada.

My gratitude to all of those who are in this forum for sharing their experiences and suggestions, which are really helping each other. I wish and pray that all of you have your turns soon. Thank you.
Congratulations and many thanks for sharing your experience with us! Could you please, if it's not too much trouble, share your experience at the Delhi Airport? For instance: what did they ask you at the checkin counter, were there any specific documentation checks, Covid Test results etc..? Many thanks!

Amir681796

Jun 13, 2019
Landed in Canada

Kochi - Delhi - Doha - Toronto - Calgary

50 long grueling hours with a 2 year old in tow

My CoPR was supposed to expire on the 26th of July and with the current situation in India, i wasn't sure if taking an extension was the right thing to do. There was absolutely no clarity on the procedures after being granted an extension and a timeline on when we'd get our new visas. I'd quit my job and put every resource available on this. So we decided to take the plunge and booked tickets on Qatar airways on the 22nd of July. It cost us 4 kidneys, two arms and legs each, and 1 each for the toddler, but the decision was made.

Flight 1 - COK to DEL
Time: 12.30 pm
Airline: Vistara

Flight 2 - DEL to DOHA
Time: 8.30 pm

Flight 3 - DOHA to TORONTO
Time: 8.30 am

Flight 4: TORONTO to CALGARY
Time: 8.15 pm
Airline: Air Canada

Couple of things to note:

1. Domestic airlines allow excess baggage at exorbitant prices at the moment. With Vistara, its 5000Rs for an excess of 15 kgs, plus you'd have to pay 8000Rs plus for an extra bag, which takes it to around 13k in total.

2. Leave ample time in between flights. We'd given a good 5 hrs in Delhi for the next flight to doha and it still wasn't enough. We barely made it to the flight

3. Landing procedures in Canada take a lot more time than usual. Our queue wasn't long, but there were only just 2 counters functioning. An another 5 hour gap in Toronto did nothing for us and again, we barely made it to the next flight

4. Everything in Canada is done on a kiosk when you land, so be careful about what you fill in. Take your time and don't rush. A lot of people were grappling with the new system and there's no one to help you.

5. Immigration is going to take time, so make sure you've ample time to eat and hydrate before you move on to the next leg of your flight. We thought 5 hours would be enough to complete our formalities and take a break for ourselves. Boy, were we wrong

6. Quarantine is strictly enforced in Canada. You'll be fined or jailed if you're found in violation. This is our 3rd day in quarantine with a rambunctious 2 year old and its not easy. But there's no other way.

AT DELHI

if you're coming from an another state, be prepared for the long queues in front of the airport. They just have 2 entry points for international travelers and it's at the far end of the airport. To get to the entry point, you've to go through a long queue where your luggage will be sanitised. And that machine doesn't work half of the time. So leave extra time for that. Once you're in, you'll be greeted with an another long queue at check in. If you've a baby with you, you might get preference here ;) Oh, and you'll require a self declaration form ready before your enter the airport. If you don't have one, make sure you get one from the counter and fill in all the details beforehand

Immigration formalities here take a lot of time. Keep your documents ready and keep a eye out on your watch. We barely made it to the flight and in the end we'd people coming in search of us.

TO GET TO THE INTERNATIONAL DEPARTURE - This may sound funny, but there were no elevators functioning when we arrived and there wasn't anyone to guide us through. A lot of us who had come from other states found it difficult to locate the departure entry. For those who don't know - exit the airport, take a left, walk a couple of meters and if you're lucky enough, you might find a functioning elevator that'll take you 4 floors above. If not, strap in and prepare yourself to haul yourself and your luggage over 4 floors on a ramp.

AT DOHA

We'd thankfully booked a room at the airport hotel as the layover was for over 10 hours. We didn't have to worry about luggage either and so it was smooth sailing most of the time.

AT TORONTO

Once you land, get your documents ready, find a kiosk and enter your details. Move to the first counter, you'll be greeted by an immigration official. All your declarations, your landing permits, your quarantine addresses will be checked here. You'll be given a declaration form on the flight en route, which will have to be given here at this point.

Next, you'll be greeted with an another long queue. Your PR card formalities gets completed here. Keep your documents ready, your CoPR and your passports go in first. Next they ask you for your bank statements, any criminal records and if you were denied visas before, your quarantine plans and how you plan to survive during quarantine. They'll not accept shared accommodations. If they are not satisfied with with your quarantine plans, and if you're lucky enough, they might take you to a government specified quarantine facility, which I've heard is really really good. You can stay at Toronto airport for a day before you catch a connection flight. But only if have to. We'd Toronto mentioned as our landing destination in our CoPR and our quarantine address as Calgary. It created a lot of confusion, but we managed to sort it out. If you've brought money on a forex card, it doesn't mean anything to them. Declare the total number, be it plastic money or paper.

If you plan to catch a domestic flight, exit the airport, take a left, find an elevator that'll take you to the trains. Thankfully, the elevators were functioning here ;) Check in at Terminal 1. We'd booked for Air Canada and they're going to charge you for everything they can find. I'd already paid for our seats and extra baggage while booking and they still demanded 160 CAD extra. Asked them to re check my tickets and it kind of seemed to clear the confusion. I'm not sure if they tried to pull a fast one on me here.

AT CALGARY

We'd booked a hotel through a cousin of mine here. If you make a booking from India, they're going to charge you unreasonable prices. Try to see you if you can get someone to book locally. We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel, where we were briefed on our quarantine procedures. There'd be NO CONTACT AT ALL. You'll have to arrange your own food, there'd be no house keeping and most important of all, DON'T STEP OUT OF YOUR ROOM. Our first night here put this in perspective. There was someone else in quarantine here in the adjacent room. Apparently, they'd stepped out. Police were called and by 3.45 am, they were taken away.

** Note for parents with babies

You can bring as much as food you want for your baby from your home, be it formula, cerelac, or anything cooked, but only up until Canada. Once in Canada and you need to make a connection flight, ensure you've all your bottled liquids drained out before you go for security check in. They won't let anything in liquid form into the flight.

I know this is such a long post, but I hope it helps anyone intending to make their first landing in the current circumstances.

PS: flights will be packed to the hilt. Make sure you've disinfectant sprays and wipes, sanitizers and face shields on you at all times. All of 100 ml each in a bottle

Congratulations for making it to Canada. What was the flight experience. Any food/ Meal voucher was provided by airline for the layover in Doha?

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Congratulations and many thanks for sharing your experience with us! Could you please, if it's not too much trouble, share your experience at the Delhi Airport? For instance: what did they ask you at the checkin counter, were there any specific documentation checks, Covid Test results etc..? Many thanks!
Hi,

In Delhi, there is absolutely no issue for COPR holders. At check in counter, they just saw my Immigrant visa and issued boarding pass. They did not ask whether it was approved before 18th March and I guess they would have noticed it in the visa. At the immigration counter, the officer asked the COPR copy for verification and then stamped the seal on passport.

As far as COVID check is concerned, we need to fill in declaration and indemnity form before entering the gate ( whether we have COVID symtomp, our contact details, cost of liability on us if they need to deport us for some reason etc.) After entering inside the gate, there is a station where they stamp the declaration and give you, which you need produce during check in. Also, they do temperature check at some points.

They just asked whether I have Arogya setu app installed but never asked me to show the status. If we are coming from quarantine place / hot spots / tested positive for Covid in the latest 4 weeks / or show symtomps of Covid, we are not allowed to board the aircraft.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: mage

NaveenT

Jun 9, 2020
Congratulations for making it to Canada. What was the flight experience. Any food/ Meal voucher was provided by airline for the layover in Doha?
The flight experience was quite good for a completely packed situation. They gave us PPE kits before boarding, face shields were mandatory. The crew and staff were all covered in PPE kits, face shields and gloves. No regular meals were provided on board other than frozen sandwiches as snacks in plastic bags. I guess this was to ensure minimum contact with the passengers. And no vouchers were given for our layover. Even though, the transit was on the same airline, technically, the flight from Delhi is a repatriation flight. It isn't even mentioned on their website, which gave me a heart ache the day before our flight.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi all,

Congrats.

I would love to tag that person who was questioning my comment of its okay to have common kitchen in your quarantine stay if you have no CoVID19 like symptoms. Provided your quarantine stay does not have anyone above 65 years and anyone with underlying medical conditions. Grrr!!!!!!!!

Reactions: w_P and hinavin

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
You're welcome. Current IRCC guidelines recommend raising a webform only when you're ready to travel, not for inability to travel. I do not know, whether acknowledgement is provided or not, so I can't reliably answer your question. As far as expectations go, yes, I would expect it to be the case.

I don't know the phone number, but it should be fairly easy to find it on web.
Hi,

I have been reading a lot about these 'Ready to Travel' webforms. My COPR was issued on Mar 21 and expires on Sep 10. I am actually ready to fly any time now and am not looking at a soft landing either. Does this mean I need to raise a 'Ready to Travel' webform to let IRCC know that I am willing to travel permanently if they let me and then hope that they issue me an authorization letter which can let me bypass the current Mar 18 restrictions or is this only applicable for people whose COPRs have expired already?

Reactions: Copernicus

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi,

I have been reading a lot about these 'Ready to Travel' webforms. My COPR was issued on Mar 21 and expires on Sep 10. I am actually ready to fly any time now and am not looking at a soft landing either. Does this mean I need to raise a 'Ready to Travel' webform to let IRCC know that I am willing to travel permanently if they let me and then hope that they issue me an authorization letter which can let me bypass the current Mar 18 restrictions or is this only applicable for people whose COPRs have expired already?
There are travel restrictions in place for international travellers and your CoPR was issued after 18th March, therefore, you are not exempted to travel. Ready to travel is applicable for CoPRs which are expired.

Reactions: Copernicus