COPR and coronavirus

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
For PRTD person needs supporting documents as per form imm5627e (document checklist). This could be risky situation if person could not find such documents. No wonder why people choose to send PR card over courier from a known person in Canada.

So true, and that was the difficulty faced. Also yes, the latter could be a simpler way.

Besides, processing timelines for PRTDs which are for non-emergency situations might be uncertain, in these times. :)

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
I contacted Etihad support and this is what they replied

Hi, to fly inbound to Abu Dhabi, you either need a valid ICA or GDFRA approval from the government. Both approvals are accepted. We accept guest with GDRFA approval as long as you get the "OK TO BOARD" upon check in at the airport

Can anyone explain what is GDRPA approval and does this mean they accept transit passengers?
Unfortunately, at this time, I could not spot a transit ability. Perhaps someone can correct my findings.

The approval needed to arrive in UAE is also called ICA approval - see here as per www.Etihad.com The page asks to get ICA approval and leads to the link below. Ultimately it states registration categories, where I could not spot any for transiting passengers.

https://beta.smartservices.ica.gov.ae/echannels/web/client/default.html#/login

https://beta.smartservices.ica.gov.ae/echannels/web/client/default.html#/registration/type/1/verify

Quote from the UAE website for registration:
Register - Individuals Services
  • Please note that application registration is available for the following categories:
  • Establishments
  • Typing Centers
  • Citizens of the United Arab Emirates and the GCC countries who are over the age of 18 years
  • Residents of the United Arab Emirates and the GCC who are over the age of 18 years and corporate sponsorship or VIP

Email

Email *

Reactions: SithLord

Tweetbird

Jun 14, 2019

Edit - the below applies for returning to Canada by flight at any Canadian Airport:
(for driving in from USA to Canada by road, CoPR or PR Card suffices )

For any landed Permanent Residents returning to Canada, a PR Card is mandatory. Alternative is PRTD (Permanent Residence Travel Document).
Application for PRTD needs to be made in the Consulate General in the local country - e.g. Delhi India for someone living in India. (PRTD is issued in leiu of PR Card being lost stolen etc)
Obviously this implies a processing of PRTD Card, with forms, questions of reasons why the PR is not in possession of the same etc. This can be time consuming (not complicated but simply time consuming), specially during these times of COVID-19 and priority processing with limited staff.

In case the PR Card is received and dispatched internationally by courier / mail, please be mindful that Canada Post does not accept Passports or PR Cards for registered mail or international courier, in my experience. Some folks suggest to send it undeclared but that is unlikely correct as far as rules are concerned. Descretion is highly advised = no need to panic, just take informed decision is all!

Links for PRTD are below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html

Quoted below from the Official Government Canada.ca website:

If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR Card
You must apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to return to Canada. Normally, you apply for a PRTD at a visa application centre (VAC).

Due to COVID-19, most VACs are closed. Check if your VAC is open and accepts PRTD applications before you apply.

If your VAC is open
If your VAC accepts applications, find out how to apply for a PRTD.

If your VAC is closed or unable to accept PRTD applications
If your VAC is closed, you can submit your application for a PRTD by email.

Follow these steps:

Due to the impacts of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), we can’t
  • process applications normally
  • provide accurate processing times
If you want to leave Canada but don’t have a valid PR Card or your card is about to expire
You need a valid PR card to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat. If you know your card will expire when you’re travelling, renew it before you leave. You can only renew your card in Canada.

You may be eligible for urgent processing.

If you don’t get your new PR card in time

If you haven’t landed yet
If we approved your permanent residence application on or before March 18, 2020, but you haven’t landed yet, you’re also exempt from the travel restrictions and allowed to come to Canada.
You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada.
Find out what to do for your landing appointment or if you have a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) that’s about to expire.
Canada Post does not accept Passports or PR Cards for registered mail or international courier, in my experience
What about DHL/FedEx?

Tweetbird

Jun 14, 2019
If u are leaving the country without PR then u can ask your relatives or friends to send it to u by post. PR card takes four months to be delivered to the address which we give during the immigration process. If you need to enter the country without PR card then u have to make use of PRTD visa.
As long as it's not beyond 4 months. 4 months could be manageable as I can stay that long, without having to travel to wrap up some stuff. The uncertainty about the increased processing times, however, is what makes me uneasy.

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
As long as it's not beyond 4 months. 4 months could be manageable as I can stay that long, without having to travel to wrap up some stuff. The uncertainty about the increased processing times, however, is what makes me uneasy.
This is the problem exactly! We don't know if the longer we go along things will stabilize or get worse.

One way of thinking: Okay, it's been like 4 months since the border shut, so maybe IRCC is getting their plans together for implementation of COPR extension, along with prioritization of PR cards etc since there is a cut-off of March 18. So there's only a finite number of people they're expecting, so things might look up. Pandemic might also be easing up a bit, people are getting "used to it"' economy may be hit, but it's recovering slowly from shock. You think, "the further away in time my COPR is from expiring, the more chance I have to stay in my home country and ride out the chaos."

The other way of thinking: As every day goes by, more and more people's COPRs expire and the pile builds. Plus, post extension, all the renewed COPRs would bear an issue date post-March 18, so technically, would we still be allowed into Canada?(o_O + :oops:)

Now, I wouldn't trust even courier services. The best way for the PR card to be given to you is by person, someone traveling to your home country from Canada. But we don't know how and when Canada will allow their people to fly out. The residential obligation clock still ticks when you leave Canada. Suppose you aren't able to come back for more than a year or so due to weird circumstances (second wave? extended isolation for Canada? etc).

God,please give us mental clarity to travel, settle, live and thrive in Canada.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Regarding the colored text above, see this Tweet from IRCC

Last edited:

Kjeet

Sep 1, 2018
This is the problem exactly! We don't know if the longer we go along things will stabilize or get worse.

One way of thinking: Okay, it's been like 4 months since the border shut, so maybe IRCC is getting their plans together for implementation of COPR extension, along with prioritization of PR cards etc since there is a cut-off of March 18. So there's only a finite number of people they're expecting, so things might look up. Pandemic might also be easing up a bit, people are getting "used to it"' economy may be hit, but it's recovering slowly from shock. You think, "the further away in time my COPR is from expiring, the more chance I have to stay in my home country and ride out the chaos."

The other way of thinking: As every day goes by, more and more people's COPRs expire and the pile builds. Plus, post extension, all the renewed COPRs would bear an issue date post-March 18, so technically, we still wouldn't be allowed into Canada?(o_O + :oops:)

Now, I wouldn't trust even courier services. The best way for the PR card to be given to you is by person, someone traveling to your home country from Canada. But we don't know how and when Canada will allow their people to fly out. The residential obligation clock still ticks when you leave Canada. Suppose you aren't able to come back for more than a year or so due to weird circumstances (second wave? extended isolation for Canada? etc).

Very well explained our misery and dilemma

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
@pkhare23 @SithLord @pumpkin_latte
I’m planning to book for August. I can see flights with Turkish, Lufthansa, British airways. What do you guys recommend? Or should I just wait for vbm flights in August?

turbomau5

Apr 23, 2020
Did anyone ship their car across US Canada border? if yes, can you please share what documents you need to have in place.

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
I don't think they have direct. You will be changing planes at Frankfurt.

Someone posted an article here that Lufthansa denied boarding to Indians. The article stated that staffs at airport refused to allow even PR holders of Canada and their family to board the Lufthansa aircraft. The Indian government did not give them permission to fly Indians even if they had valid residence permit to their destination. The aircraft was solely only for German nationals.
Is this still the case?

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
@pkhare23 @SithLord @pumpkin_latte
I’m planning to book for August. I can see flights with Turkish, Lufthansa, British airways. What do you guys recommend? Or should I just wait for vbm flights in August?
There is no information regarding BA whether they will start their flights or not. I haven't checked the Turkish. Lufthansa is operating currently but only carrying selected passengers. So yeah Lufthansa, KLM and Etihad might start from August. You can check those out. But my recommendation wait for the announcement.

KirtiP

May 19, 2020
After reading some of the past posts regarding CoPR extension cases (FSW Outland), I guess majority are waiting to get more clarity before they raise another web form stating that they can travel along with the justification of their travel and quarantine plan...

0VISHNUM

Mar 19, 2019

The other way of thinking: As every day goes by, more and more people's COPRs expire and the pile builds. Plus, post extension, all the renewed COPRs would bear an issue date post-March 18, so technically, we still wouldn't be allowed into Canada?(o_O + :oops:)

Well written... :)

I wish IRCC takes a decision to extend all expired COPRs for 6 to 12 months and issue eCOPRs/Visas

Reactions: Dilshant88