+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Hi All,
Long post alert !!
Sharing my experience on landing in Toronto ,Canada first time- CoPR holder from USA.
PR received before 18 March 2020.
Route- Chicago - Toronto

We were not able to get the boarding pass online so we did it at the airport and the staff asked us our purpose of travel to Canada and why are we travelling two days prior to the expiry of the PR. We just said we are landing for the first time and we have a valid PR and we showed the mail from IRCC which stated we are eligible to travel. But still she was not very convinced and took around 20 mins to go through various rules on her system. She asked our travel plans back to US and we said we do not have plans to return and then after some 10 mins she gave us the boarding pass. Before boarding the flight a form with general health questions was given and need to be filled and handed over to the airline agent before boarding.

We landed in Toronto by noon.

Immigration :
1) As soon as we enter the terminal we were asked to fill a form with our name,purpose of visit, date of landing and airbnb address ( quarantine address) details for the next 14 days. We were asked to give this form at the immigration counter.
2) Then we went to the kiosk and filled our details and answered basic questions on purpose of visit,security protocol questions etc. and scanned our passports and declared food items and fruits that we had. A receipt with our photo was generated with all the mentioned details.
3) Next stop was a counter where an officer asked what kind of food items we carry, purpose of visit and quarantine plan.She checked our COPR,the kiosk receipt, our passport and wrote a code on the receipt and asked us to go to the immigration counter. Before entering the counter we were asked to drop the form (point 1) in a box.
4) There were 5 people before us and when our turn came we gave the kiosk receipt, COPR, passport to the IO. She asked us the below ques:
a) Purpose of visit - New PR holders Landing for first time.
b) Quarantine plan - Have booked a private airbnb basement with private entrance, kitchen and restroom. No part of the house is shared.
c) Plan for food and medicines - We have some basic food with us and we have ordered grocery delivery to the airbnb address as well. For medicines we have basic medicine with us and in case if we need we will order it online as well.
d) Plan after quarantine - We have some house visits scheduled to rent and we will start applying for jobs as well post quarantine.
e) Any other dependents - No.
f) Address to which PR card need to be sent - We filled our friend's address on the IRCC copy of the COPR.
The IO asked us to be seated and after five mins she called us and asked us to sign the COPR ( both copy) and stamped the passports and congratulated us on becoming the PR of Canada and she signed the COPR ( both copy ) as well. She took the IRCC copy which had our photos on it and gave us the client copy.

Informed PR card will take four months to be delivered and we can apply for SIN online and health card once the service canada opens and we need to wait for 3 months before applying for health card. Asked us to be on quarantine for next 14 days and informed that if we leave the country then we need PR card to enter else we need to apply for PRTD visa. She asked us if we plan to leave Canada and we said nope we are settling in and we have goods to follow list with us. She directed us to the Customs dept.

Customs :

1) I had four copy each for Goods accompanying and goods to follow and pics of Gold jewels as well.
2) The officer stamped the forms and the pics and checked the line item of gold jewels and verified it with attached pics.
3) Gave us a printed bill with the total value of goods to follow and asked us to give a copy of that to the transport company when they cross the land border with our goods.
If you have everything ready then its a simple process. You can have a normal handwritten copy or you can take a print of the form online and fill the columns with the goods and the value. I did both to be on a safer side and the officer was curious to know why I did that :D :D Just told him no specific reason and did that to be on the safer side. He just laughed about being too very careful about things :D :D

Quarantine :
We booked Uber to the airbnb address and did not stop anywhere on the way. The owner of airbnb left us some grocery, a small bag of rice and ready to eat stuff as well near our entrance :) :) and asked us to let him know if we need to buy something. 14 days went slowly and we did not go out anywhere and after a week we received 3-4 mails from Health Dept mentioning the guidelines for quarantine and services to contact in case of emergency and if we have some symptoms.

Linking PR application to CIC Profile :
Was able to link my PR application with the CIC profile but was unable to do it for my husband (dependent) though we gave all the details properly. Have raised a webform so will keep updated if there are any improvements.

Phone Number :
We ordered Koodo Prepaid SIM and took the basic plan since we needed a local number.

Post - Quarantine :
Opened two bank accounts with credit card - One for me (Scotia Bank) and one for my husband (CIBC) for address proof purpose for SIN. In Scotia they asked me if I have any Canada address proof and I showed my Friend's bank statement and they asked us if we have one in our name. It was not logical since we were in quarantine for 14 days but we had the billing address of Koodo mobile in our name and it had my friend's Canada address. So we showed that and he accepted that. In CIBC no address proof was asked but they asked us the current address alone ( Gave the friend's address).

SIN Application :

Applied SIN for both of us with COPR, Passport and Bank statement which had our name and Canada address.

Thank u all for helping me in this process. :) Will be happy to help if you have any questions. :) :) :)

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I'm glad the landing went well.

As far as i know, they have still waived the 3 month wait time for your OHIP card. You should be able to apply for it at a Service Ontario centre.

Reactions: SaraRahul

b.namit87

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
Hi All,
Long post alert !!
Sharing my experience on landing in Toronto ,Canada first time- CoPR holder from USA.
Route- Chicago - Toronto

We were not able to get the boarding pass online so we did it at the airport and the staff asked us our purpose of travel to Canada and why are we travelling two days prior to the expiry of the PR. We just said we are landing for the first time and we have a valid PR and we showed the mail from IRCC which stated we are eligible to travel. But still she was not very convinced and took around 20 mins to go through various rules on her system. She asked our travel plans back to US and we said we do not have plans to return and then after some 10 mins she gave us the boarding pass. Before boarding the flight a form with general health questions was given and need to be filled and handed over to the airline agent before boarding.

Immigration :
1) As soon as we enter the terminal we were asked to fill a form with our name,purpose of visit, date of landing and airbnb address ( quarantine address) details for the next 14 days. We were asked to give this form at the immigration counter.
2) Then we went to the kiosk and filled our details and answered basic questions on purpose of visit,security protocol questions etc. and scanned our passports and declared food items and fruits that we had. A receipt with our photo was generated with all the mentioned details.
3) Next stop was a counter where an officer asked what kind of food items we carry, purpose of visit and quarantine plan.She checked our COPR,the kiosk receipt, our passport and wrote a code on the receipt and asked us to go to the immigration counter. Before entering the counter we were asked to drop the form (point 1) in a box.
4) There were 5 people before us and when our turn came we gave the kiosk receipt, COPR, passport to the IO. She asked us the below ques:
b) Quarantine plan - Have booked a private airbnb basement with private entrance, kitchen and restroom. No part of the house is shared.
c) Plan for food and medicines - We have some basic food with us and we have ordered grocery delivery to the airbnb address as well. For medicines we have basic medicine with us and in case if we need we will order it online as well.
d) Plan after quarantine - We have some house visits scheduled to rent and we will start applying for jobs as well post quarantine.
f) Address to which PR card need to be sent - We filled our friend's address on the IRCC copy of the COPR.
The IO asked us to be seated and after five mins she called us and asked us to sign the COPR ( both copy) and stamped the passports and congratulated us on becoming the PR of Canada and she signed the COPR ( both copy ) as well. She took the IRCC copy which had our photos on it and gave us the client copy.

Informed PR card will take four months to be delivered and we can apply for SIN online and health card once the service canada opens and we need to wait for 3 months before applying for health card. Asked us to be on quarantine for next 14 days and informed that if we leave the country then we need PR card to enter else we need to apply for PRTD visa. She asked us if we plan to leave Canada and we said nope we are settling in and we have goods to follow list with us. She directed us to the Customs dept.

Customs :

1) I had four copy each for Goods accompanying and goods to follow and pics of Gold jewels as well.
2) The officer stamped the forms and the pics and checked the line item of gold jewels and verified it with attached pics.
3) Gave us a printed bill with the total value of goods to follow and asked us to give a copy of that to the transport company when they cross the land border with our goods.
If you have everything ready then its a simple process. You can have a normal handwritten copy or you can take a print of the form online and fill the columns with the goods and the value. I did both to be on a safer side and the officer was curious to know why I did that :D :D Just told him no specific reason and did that to be on the safer side. He just laughed about being too very careful about things :D :D

Quarantine :
We booked Uber to the airbnb address and did not stop anywhere on the way. The owner of airbnb left us some grocery, a small bag of rice and ready to eat stuff as well near our entrance :) :) and asked us to let him know if we need to buy something. 14 days went slowly and we did not go out anywhere and after a week we received 3-4 mails from Health Dept mentioning the guidelines for quarantine and services to contact in case of emergency and if we have some symptoms.

Was able to link my PR application with the CIC profile but was unable to do it for my husband (dependent) though we gave all the details properly. Have raised a webform so will keep updated if there are any improvements.

Phone Number :
We ordered Koodo Prepaid SIM and took the basic plan since we needed a local number.

Post - Quarantine :
Opened two bank accounts with credit card - One for me (Scotia Bank) and one for my husband (CIBC) for address proof purpose for SIN. In Scotia they asked me if I have any Canada address proof and I showed my Friend's bank statement and they asked us if we have one in our name. It was not logical since we were in quarantine for 14 days but we had the billing address of Koodo mobile in our name and it had my friend's Canada address. So we showed that and he accepted that. In CIBC no address proof was asked but they asked us the current address alone ( Gave the friend's address).

SIN Application :

Applied SIN for both of us with COPR, Passport and Bank statement which had our name and Canada address.

Thank u all for helping me in this process. :) Will be happy to help if you have any questions. :) :) :)
Hi,

Congratulations on your completion of the process.

I have some questions:

1) Where to get the Customs form online for declaring goods carried?

2)What kind of food you carried the first time when you entered Canada?

3) How did you order groceries during the 14 days quarantine? Since you cannot go out during this time.

Thanks!

Dejavu_44

Star Member
Nov 29, 2019
Reading between the lines of IRCC issued statements for expired COPRs within the last few weeks kinda suggests the much anticipated Extension will be in the form of an electronic authorization to land within a stipulated time.

dn3

Feb 14, 2019
Category........
PNP
Hi All,
Long post alert !!
Route- Chicago - Toronto

Immigration :

Customs :

Quarantine :

Phone Number :

Post - Quarantine :

SIN Application :

Super informative! Thanks

Tweetbird

Jun 14, 2019
Hi All,
Long post alert !!
Route- Chicago - Toronto

Immigration :

Customs :

Quarantine :

Phone Number :

Post - Quarantine :

SIN Application :

Thanks for this post. Can you please guide as to how to link the PR application with the CIC profile?

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
So that’s 2 weeks of quarantine & approx 2 more weeks waiting for SIN.. right?
Yes. But note that interview processes itself take about 4+ from the time you get a call back. I feel like that's enough time even fi you start applying from Day 1.

Also after you get your offer letter, you can let your future employer know that you're waiting for a SIN.

Reactions: Froshy

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Friends, how many days of medical insurance that we need to have while landing Toronto?
I saw few posts saying that we should be present in Ontario for 153 days in the latest 183 days to be eligible under OHIP and some are saying after 3 months waiting period , we are entitled for free health coverage. Not sure which one is correct and what is the scenario there given the pandemic.

I am planning to take private travel insurance. Can somebody through light on how many days coverage I should take and suggest some me good private insurers please? I am from India.

Thanks
Hi there,

• OHIP (for Ontario Medical covergae) only requires 90 days of residency in the Province of Ontario.
  • It was never more than 90 days
  • For COVID-19, they have menioned that any COVID-29 related illnesses will be covered and no waiting period will be needed temporarily. Check before you fly though - below link. ***Canada Is Great - Isn't It!!!*** :)
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-3
  • OHIP, still excludes certain areas such as dental, eyes for most parts. Exceptions are if care is needed due to an accident for example.
  • So some residents purchase coverage for prescription medicines as well. If you are fairly okay (not a senior citizen) I do not think extra medical coverage is necessary at this point.
  • You can always purchase it locally (recommended) by shopping around using insurance brokers etc.
  • Travel insurance is of course recommended and sometimes covers medical during the travel - considering there are multiple connections and lay overs, that additional feature is also recommended!
Best wishes - your flight is coming up soon!

Reactions: AnaAORaug19 and dn3

nightsun

Jul 11, 2020
Oh no! I booked my flights and accommodation 2 days ago after trying for weeks to get clarification on this. I sent a webform informing ircc that we would be in Canada initially for 3 weeks. I got a generic response saying we were exempt and made no mention of temporary stays.

Really don't know what to do now. I want to go because of the issues it could cause not going. But I also want to be honest and stick to the guidance. How are they going to check if you are there to settle or not? :(
Similar to this poster, I recently booked flights for the purpose of completing a "soft landing" - completing my 2-week quarantine requirement and then a return flight to the United States (I'm a US Citizen) - because my CoPR (issued prior to March 18th) expires in early September, and I was running out of time to complete the PR landing process. I did not plan to complete my landing during the first few months of the outbreak because it felt very unsafe and I was banking that the USA would have done a better job handling the pandemic, that risk would have diminished, and that restrictions would have eased by now; it looks like that will not be the case.

Now that IRCC has updated their website to explicitly list "soft landings" as non-essential travel, what options do I have at this point that are not dropping everything and moving to a new country with less than 2 months notice? I have a well-paying, secure job that would be foolish to resign from in the middle of record high unemployment, and a lease that would be expensive to break. I was interviewing remotely with Canadian companies up until the March travel restrictions were implemented, but after that point every job application has resulted in radio silence - likely due to high unemployment and the stigma of Americans being more likely to carry the virus. I've done my due diligence, but the difficulties and restrictions imposed by the pandemic have been ultimately out of my control, and it's unreasonable that my only remaining option would be to put myself in a precarious financial and employment position to complete this process.

In this poster's case, it looks like IRCC gave them an official written travel exemption, which I think would be carte blanche to continue with their plans and complete their "soft landing", as the IRCC website does state that obtaining a written travel exemption would allow for this. I'm probably going to use the webform as well and see if I can get official guidance beyond boilerplate responses; if I receive anything that may be useful for others in similar situations, I'll share that.

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Thanks a lot
Hi there,

• OHIP (for Ontario Medical covergae) only requires 90 days of residency in the Province of Ontario.
  • It was never more than 90 days
  • For COVID-19, they have menioned that any COVID-29 related illnesses will be covered and no waiting period will be needed temporarily. Check before you fly though - below link. ***Canada Is Great - Isn't It!!!*** :)
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-3
  • OHIP, still excludes certain areas such as dental, eyes for most parts. Exceptions are if care is needed due to an accident for example.
  • So some residents purchase coverage for prescription medicines as well. If you are fairly okay (not a senior citizen) I do not think extra medical coverage is necessary at this point.
  • You can always purchase it locally (recommended) by shopping around using insurance brokers etc.
  • Travel insurance is of course recommended and sometimes covers medical during the travel - considering there are multiple connections and lay overs, that additional feature is also recommended!
Best wishes - your flight is coming up soon!

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Hi,

Congratulations on your completion of the process.

I have some questions:

1) Where to get the Customs form online for declaring goods carried?

2)What kind of food you carried the first time when you entered Canada?

3) How did you order groceries during the 14 days quarantine? Since you cannot go out during this time.

Thanks!
Thank you. To answer your questions

1) https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186a-eng.html - this link has the pdf version but even if you google you will get printable version of the forms. This thread had better explanation on the same topic - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sample-bsf186-and-bsf186a-attached-for-ref.525057/
2) We had Maggi noodles, ready to eat chappathi, bread, banana, orange, ready to eat curry.
3) We had ready to eat for one week and had fruits as well.The airbnb owner gave us some grocery and we ordered stuff like yogurt, milk, chocolates, fruits on Walmart app and got it delivered. Twice we ordered food online and got it delivered at the door. So it is easily manageable. But whatever u take the first time u need to declare it especially stuff like fruits and veggies.
Hope this helps. :)

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019