+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Hi,
Since I am hearing about IRCC not allowing soft landing of applicants just for the purpose of completion of paperwork, I would like to clarify if ppl who already landed (with COPR issued before March 18th) and are now in quarantine and planning to return to home country once the 14 day period ends. Will they be stopped from doing so?

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
I am afraid you are right, it might cause more harm than doing good. I have decided not to use the letter of employment as supporting to my readiness to travel.
But I am wondering-- once I land and activate my PR (with non-Quebec address), should there be any concern if I move to Quebec, once the quarantine is done or I have to wait till I have the PR card in my hand?
Like @desi_me_rollin has already said, no issue to move to Quebec once the PR status is activated. Good luck!

Reactions: swack60

kpatel1988

Star Member
Jun 16, 2020
Crazy how I seem to have missed this thread! Anybody got any updates on the further steps after their COPR expired and they raised a "Ready to travel" form?

Reactions: SueyZA

Nav731

Jul 4, 2020
Hi ,
I am currently in USA on a work visa with my COPR expiring soon on August 29th 2020. I do not have a valid usa visa stamp in my passport , so i am not sure if i go to Canada for activating PR, i will be able to return back to USA.

I have come across automatic visa re-validation option , which says we can travel to Canada for 30 days and return without going for visa stamping.

I would like to know if anyone was able to use automatic re-validation to get their COPR activated.
Please let me know if any other options are possible.

Thanks

Reactions: Uncle_Iroh

swack60

May 20, 2019
Hi ,
I am currently in USA on a work visa with my COPR expiring soon on August 29th 2020. I do not have a valid usa visa stamp in my passport , so i am not sure if i go to Canada for activating PR, i will be able to return back to USA.

I have come across automatic visa re-validation option , which says we can travel to Canada for 30 days and return without going for visa stamping.

I would like to know if anyone was able to use automatic re-validation to get their COPR activated.
Please let me know if any other options are possible.

Thanks
I believe you can return to USA using automatic re-validation. If you received your CoPR before Mar 18, 2020-- you are exempt from the travel restrictions and can travel to Canada. However, IRCC discourages entering Canada just to active the PR/ complete the application process. They will ask about your plan regarding quarantine, settlement plan etc while entering.

ayeetee

Jun 11, 2020
Hello all,

To the people who landed amid the covid19 pandemic and is currently quarantining or completed it doing/did so in a province that is NOT their final province?

DIJ2

Mar 21, 2020
Quick couple of questions:

I'm planning to move to Canada in 2 weeks from now from U.S. This would be my first time with the COPR, so I'm assuming I can take my car via Detroit-Windsor bridge?
  • For the car, do I need to carry anything else apart from car title document, and declaration of car in GTA form?
  • Just want to make sure that it's allowed to drive in Canada with a car with U.S registration and title?
  • And is this a temporary allowance and would I have to change my car registration to Canada after moving?

WantToImmigrate

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2019
Hi guys, do you think there is any chance of IRCC issuing us e-visa for extending validity of out copr? They are as it is not processing paper application. Do you think they would encourage physical submission of passport and processing of same, especially at a time when all the services are being made contactless. Any thoughts?
Their posts on twitter hint that they are working on something let's wait till end of july

BS85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
I am not willing to take the chance, have decided not to use the letter of employment from Quebec to accelerate the CoPR extension.
You don't need the letter in the first place!!
Jeez, if @swack60 shows a job offer in Quebec (=intent to move there post landing) as evidence to his readiness for settling in Canada when his COPR is extended, covid or not, he may be denied processing of his COPR at the canadian border.

How can you not understand?
Unless you yourself are the visa processing officer at the border , there is no way one can be denied the PR lading formalities, at maximum for PNP COPR holders, they will be redirected to land in the province that sponsored them, under other categories CEC, FSW you can land anywhere !! The Job offer in Quebec is not a condition for denying PR landing formalities!! In fact most of the COPR holders will not be having a job offer in hand in the first place!!

Last edited:

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
You don't need the letter in the first place!!

Unless you yourself are the visa processing officer at the border , there is no way one can be denied the PR lading formalities, at maximum for PNP COPR holders, they will be redirected to land in the province that sponsored them, under other categories CEC, FSW you can land anywhere !! The Job offer in Quebec is not a condition for denying PR landing formalities!! In fact most of the COPR holders will not be having a job offer in hand in the first place!!
You still don’t get it.

An immigration officer has the authority to reject processing of your COPR - within reason. Any links to or a prolonged stay in Quebec post landing qualify for such reason. It is called “misrepresentation”. Of course, any CEC or FSW can land in Quebec (or anywhere else), but they should convince the officer, if asked, that they intend to settle in a different province. It is your duty to convince the officer, no one will “redirect” you, since you must finish all landing formalities at the first PoE.

See an earlier post from this thread as evidence:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-and-coronavirus.681880/post-8573645

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You still don’t get it.

An immigration officer has the authority to reject processing of your COPR - within reason. Any links to or a prolonged stay in Quebec post landing qualify for such reason. It is called “misrepresentation”. Of course, any CEC or FSW can land in Quebec (or anywhere else), but they should convince the officer, if asked, that they intend to settle in a different province. It is your duty to convince the officer, no one will “redirect” you, since you must finish all landing formalities at the first PoE.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-and-coronavirus.681880/post-8573645
Exactly right and people should keep in mind that simply having a COPR in hand is not a guaranteed right of entry to Canada there are still conditions to be met on arrival to satisfy the authorities, specifically in such a case as per the link showing no intent to reside in Quebec having not applied through Quebec im migration program.

In the case referred to in above link CBSA probably used their discretion given COVID coupled with the various travel restrictions and availability of flights into Canada. Worst case though CBSA also could have refused PR landing and whilst not necessarily denied entry only authorised entry as a visitor.

Same goes for the original discussion point in that not a good idea to state upfront in any COPR extension request any plan to accept a job in Quebec implying living in Quebec without having appiled through the Quebec specific variation immigration program. Until the COPR has been processed at the POE an applicant is still a non resident with no resident rights so a COPR is still just a piece of paper that can in extreme circumstances be cancelled..

BS85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
You still don’t get it.

The rule is clear COPR under FSW and CEC can land anywhere, the Visa officer may be tough in Quebec (they like to believe themselves as a separate country but federal law supersedes any state laws ), but he cannot deny you landing rights, all those who landed in Quebec got accepted eventually, If you are a smart immigrant and now the rules , officer cannot deny you landing and the Quebec officer knows it !!!
Can you give me an example where the COPR holder (excluding PNP ) was denied to do landing formalities ?