+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

turbomau5

Apr 23, 2020
I am in Toronto, i have not landed yet as the border has been closed and also in-person appointment also were cancelled.
since i have US visa, i thought of going US by air and come back to Canada and do the PR landing as i see there are flights from/to being operated between US and Canada. SInce my PR approved Prior to March 18, i am exempted to travel to Canada by Air from any country.
but the only question i have will US allow me to enter into US with visitor visa as they may consider it as non-essential .? thats why asked here if someone have done this recently?
How are you in Toronto
I am in Toronto, i have not landed yet as the border has been closed and also in-person appointment also were cancelled.
since i have US visa, i thought of going US by air and come back to Canada and do the PR landing as i see there are flights from/to being operated between US and Canada. SInce my PR approved Prior to March 18, i am exempted to travel to Canada by Air from any country.
but the only question i have will US allow me to enter into US with visitor visa as they may consider it as non-essential .? thats why asked here if someone have done this recently?
You are in Toronto but have not landed yet..hmm.......I'm wondering what that means....Do you mean you're currently waiting somewhere up in Toronto's airspace and posting this question?

Srh11

Jun 1, 2020
Hi I am a copr holder from india with expiry on 28th july. I have booked tickets for 23rd july with cathy pacific for canada, but the tickets got cancelled.Now can I go on webform and inform situation as covid cases rising in india and I don't have place or quarantine plans for canada as I am a 1st time visitor. Can u plz confirm if I will get copr extension or I will forced to get on plane before expiry

ibujack

Star Member
Dec 10, 2019
Hi I am a copr holder from india with expiry on 28th july. I have booked tickets for 23rd july with cathy pacific for canada, but the tickets got cancelled.Now can I go on webform and inform situation as covid cases rising in india and I don't have place or quarantine plans for canada as I am a 1st time visitor. Can u plz confirm if I will get copr extension or I will forced to get on plane before expiry
Yes. just inform them that due to travel restriction you were not able to travel as originally planned. and also tell them you will be informing once you are ready for the travel. they will respond you with the next step

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
Looks like SpiceJet is allowing flights from Delhi to Dubai from June 16. Dubai has confirmed resumption of Emirates operations, So one can fly on SpiceJet from Delhi to Dubai and book Emirates for second journey from Dubai to Toronto.

For us Indians, SpiceJet is our best alternative.
For now, UAE is ONLY allowing residents with valid UAE residence visas to return back to the UAE, that too after getting approval from ICA.
Hence your information is not correct. The authorities have clearly mentioned that even transit is not allowed for any flight with the exception of transit from Australia to London or vice Versa.

Reactions: SithLord

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
https://www.spicejet.com/schedules.aspx

When I contacted SpiceJet about this they didn't confirm anything about June 16 but they were taking bookings for July 2 to Dubai and couple of passengers have already booked.
Only passengers flying from Australia to UK or UK to Australia can transit thru Dubai.

Source:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thenational.ae/lifestyle/travel/travellers-between-the-uk-and-australia-can-transit-in-the-uae-with-emirates-and-etihad-1.1018966

Last edited:

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
How are you in Toronto

You are in Toronto but have not landed yet..hmm.......I'm wondering what that means....Do you mean you're currently waiting somewhere up in Toronto's airspace and posting this question?
What it means is that they are an inland applicant. They might either be on work permit or student visa and have not "landed", which means that they have not completed their CoPR validation and have not become a 'permanent resident' yet.

Reactions: ibujack

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Many thanks Hinavin This is super helpful. Just with respect to point one (1), I am aware of the web form but my concern was that if I write them that I am wont be able to travel, the case status might change and I will need to go through medical and visa again since I require a visa to enter Canada. This means just going through the process again to some extent. I have emailed through the web almost 6 weeks ago to understand what happens if I do not travel (not to inform them that I wont) but no response yet. Is this normal they have not responded? Possibly because my email was more of questions?
My pleasure!

Even if we inform them that we have decided not to travel prior to the expiry of CoPR - but later change our mind, IRCC is clear that we can travel anytime we choose to do so, as long as the CoPR is still valid. No explanation or prior information is needed for changing our mind and land.

Currently and understandably MOST if not all responses are rather generic, with same or similar message from IRCC, so nothing to worry there. I do think IRCC is fairly alright in responding to questions - afterall it is better to ask the question if we have them. I would do the same!

Once the CoPR expires, whether or not medicals are re-requested shall remain unknown and most likely vary case to case. This is simply my guess - have not seen any instructions related to circumstances under which re-medicals will be sought by IRCC.

There is no expectation of anything additional to re-medicals, PRV stamping et al.

For what its worth, I personally would try to travel before CoPR expires. Obviously, this will be different for each individuals' circumstances. Go with your gut feel! Be safe and informed!

I wish you well!

Last edited:
Reactions: icanh

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Don't tell yourself what you need to hear. Things may take a horrible turn for the worse as we go along. Reversing lockdown is being done because the economy of India is in the doldrums and a further continuation will further decimate the economy or cause civil riots. But trust me, no one has the manpower to ensure all this is being done sincerely and checking to see if people are following rules. People will act irresponsibly and the cases will shoot up. If cases shoot, the government may be forced to take remedial measures. Remember, standard, non-chartered, international flights resumption is the last priority as other countries don't want to import Indian coronavirus and India doesn't want a flood of return Indians destabilizing the ports of entry.

Long story short, don't tell yourself what you need to hear. Keep a dispassionate eye on the developments.

Loved this @pumpkin_latte !!! ;)

Quote: "Keep a dispassionate eye on the developments. "

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
Hello Everyone,

my COPR is ending in July 2nd. I have US Visitor visa. i am thinking of going detroit from toronto to my friend's house and come back to Canada and do the landing before it expire.
will this be a good idea? did anyone have done this ? please suggest.
USA has suspended entry for Visit/Tourist visas. Therefore, I don't think what you're suggesting is possible these days.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello Everyone,

my COPR is ending in July 2nd. I have US Visitor visa. i am thinking of going detroit from toronto to my friend's house and come back to Canada and do the landing before it expire.
will this be a good idea? did anyone have done this ? please suggest.
In these tough times are you giving stay at your friend's house in Detroit a top priority over doing PR landing formalities? This is OG kinda stuff.

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
In these tough times are you giving stay at your friend's house in Detroit a top priority over doing PR landing formalities? This is OG kinda stuff.
On top if I am not wrong doesn't US also have quarantine requirements? - this ofcourse differs state to state.

Maximilian89

May 31, 2020
1. You let them know when you're ready to travel.
2. No.
3. No and Yes.
4. Some people have taken the cab just fine.
5. Online.
Many thanks. For point 1, I just booked my flight and will wait to see if flights are operating, I will just go ahead with my landing. Any idea if in case we do not travel, we have to redo the medical test?

Maximilian89

May 31, 2020
Would you rather go back to the pool and wait for the ITA? The situation right now is more reasonable; because at first the wording from IRCC was such that it felt that IRCC was asking us to risk our lives and land at any cost. Re-medicals are not being requested per my understanding unless you had observations on your original medicals that may flag you as a possible burden to the Canadian health system. Also, the IRCC has released very clear guidelines on how to re-evaluate the expired COPR/PRV holders, so that is one reason why you didn't receive a reply. Perhaps, at the time you requested for information, IRCC didn't have standardized information to provide. Finally, they are working with a skeletal staff, so it is not their priority to assuage doubts of individuals and maybe that's why no response occured.
Many thanks. When you say "Also, the IRCC has released very clear guidelines on how to re-evaluate the expired COPR/PRV holders, so that is one reason why you didn't receive a reply", can you share this guidance? The only guidance I came across was that it is ok we do not travel, subject to informing them. Any clearer guidance you are referring to?