+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

abhiram.kumar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
the airlines are doing the right thing in turning back people who want to land and return back.
The Canadian government is encouraging people with valid COPRs to travel. In light of the pandemic, if the luxury of automatic extensions existed or if extensions were given fairly quickly upon request, no would want to risk doing soft landings. Many have had their initial plans delayed or put on hold for months because of the travel restrictions and lockdowns. For some, winding up and relocating to another country can take months, it's not as easy as you think.

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
No. I prefer to fly directly given the current circumstances.
Fair enough. I would have preferred direct flight too, sadly Emirates only flies direct to Toronto. And I would prefer to fly to Calgary instead of taking an additional domestic flight from Toronto.
KLM flies directly to Calgary from Amsterdam starting from July.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
The Canadian government is encouraging people with valid COPRs to travel. In light of the pandemic, if the luxury of automatic extensions existed or if extensions were given fairly quickly upon request, no would want to risk doing soft landings. Many have had their initial plans delayed or put on hold for months because of the travel restrictions and lockdowns. For some, winding up and relocating to another country can take months, it's not as easy as you think.
Soft landing gonna be headache in these days as India has also imposed a mandatory 7 days paid institutional quarantine for people coming back to India + 7 days quarantine at home. It will be the new norm from now on and might be followed by other countries too if we want a smooth air travel flow between countries.

arunb420

May 18, 2020
Brother, The entry to the US is still restricted to essential workers so I do not think we would be able to demonstrate to US immigration that your entry is essential.
Returning to Work/Study is considered essential while returning to USA from Canada. I have read 2-3 posts where people completed landing and returned to the US using AVR

arunb420

May 18, 2020
Hi,
I saw few posts regarding AVR, did anyone came back to US on H1 Visa from Canada on AVR?
There are posts in movnorth forum about people who returned in April and May using AVR, flying to and from Toronto
Is quarantine mandatory upon arrival or you can go to visa office for Applying PR card during 14 day quarantine ?
It is mandatory for all travellers entering the country
I have valid I-94 but my visa is expired. Can I come back to US on valid I-94 by drive or I need a stamped H1 Visa too on my passport?
AVR allows you to re-enter US within 30 days. I did not notice any restrictions on AVR on CBP, DHS websites. But again, it is good to keep checking these sites regularly as things may change at any point.
Also when you come back to US, do we have to again quarantine for 14 days?
I believe US has no such rules. Just advices self quarantine.
Can you please share overall experience and entry back into US?

FJK1982

Apr 14, 2020
Same here, looking for soft landing, I contacted Emirates Airlines today but in vain, had a web chat with 2 and telephone call with 1, all 3 are clueless on any restrictions with regards to soft landing, they just said contact Canadian Embassy, so we don't have any other option just to wait and watch.

ishangodbole

Feb 26, 2018
Returning to Work/Study is considered essential while returning to USA from Canada. I have read 2-3 posts where people completed landing and returned to the US using AVR
Brother, The entry to the US is still restricted to essential workers so I do not think we would be able to demonstrate to US immigration that your entry is essential.
The ban between essential travel between two countries seems is not followed if passenger travels via pre-clearance sites.

"What seems to have happened is this rule that the Americans enacted on March 20 seems to only have been directed to the land port of entries," said immigration lawyer Len Saunders.

He told CTV News he only found out about this loophole when a client of his called him Wednesday to say he was in Las Vegas.

"Whoever drafted that rule probably didn’t realize that you have these U.S. pre-flight clearance facilities on Canadian soil," he explained. "Because logically thinking, if you can’t enter at a land port of entry, why should you be able to enter at an airport?"

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/apparent-loophole-in-travel-restrictions-allows-canadians-to-travel-to-u-s-1.4942108

legionnaire

Sep 21, 2019
Why don't you call IRCC and clarify it instead of taking a risk? Current travel ban is up to June 30 if I am not wrong. It may or may not extend as we are living in uncertain time these days.
many thanks for your responses, and apologies for a late one on my end. I did call the CBSA office and the lady was most positive - after confirming the job was essential, she said that if I had a job offer, it means "they need me" and that she feels they would allow me to land with my COPR dated after March 19 rather than just allowing me in on a work permit. Does this seem encouraging enough to travel?

arunb420

May 18, 2020
The ban between essential travel between two countries seems is not followed if passenger travels via pre-clearance sites.

"What seems to have happened is this rule that the Americans enacted on March 20 seems to only have been directed to the land port of entries," said immigration lawyer Len Saunders.

He told CTV News he only found out about this loophole when a client of his called him Wednesday to say he was in Las Vegas.

"Whoever drafted that rule probably didn’t realize that you have these U.S. pre-flight clearance facilities on Canadian soil," he explained. "Because logically thinking, if you can’t enter at a land port of entry, why should you be able to enter at an airport?"

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/apparent-loophole-in-travel-restrictions-allows-canadians-to-travel-to-u-s-1.4942108
Just to add. Below is a link from US Embassy of Canada which defines list of travel types considered as essential by the US
https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

So, if you are either returning to work or to resume/begin studies in the US, your travel is considered essential. And you may be correct regarding above article as it is also mentioned that this applies to land entry. If you are flying from Canada to USA, as long as you have valid travel documentation, there should not be any problem.

legionnaire

Sep 21, 2019
Hello,
Destination on CoPR is Toronto, but I will be landing at Montreal then taking a taxi to Toronto, is this ok? Can I land in Montreal?
Please answer!!
Thanks
You can't land in Quebec province without a valid Quebec Certificate of Selection - do you have one? Btw Montreal is 540 km away from Toronto, are you sure you'd want to take a taxi?

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Are you sure about it? Tell your consultant to give you the screenshot of your CIC account if you have not seen it already.
I mailed them.They said
they can not give me details as it is consultant portal.He sent screen shot.My file is still in approved status and copr is showing expired.What abt ur status?I think none of the Indian applicant who has got copr from Delhi has undergone this status change from approved to in progress.Anyone?

CA98712

Dec 9, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
Hi Friends

Is there any way to find out COPR validation time duration before IRCC issue PPR request.
If we request GCMS note then whether COPR issued date and Expiry Date will be available in GCMS Note?