+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

abong

Apr 1, 2020
Hey is there anyone here who can confirm if I can apply for a SIN number in a province (Ontario) that isn't my COPr port of entry (BC)?

foxstiger

Sep 10, 2019
Hey guys, is it necessary (or possible) to get a bank account in Canada before landing? I'm going to land in Toronto, so looking for some suggestions about which bank to choose. I will have to transfer funds from US banks to Canada. Thanks!

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Hey guys, is it necessary (or possible) to get a bank account in Canada before landing? I'm going to land in Toronto, so looking for some suggestions about which bank to choose. I will have to transfer funds from US banks to Canada. Thanks!
I think you need to physically go to a bank in Canada to open that account. The common choices are RBC, TD, Scotiabank, HSBC and CIBC. Check out their website first and decide which account suits you best.

foxstiger

Sep 10, 2019
I think you need to physically go to a bank in Canada to open that account. The common choices are RBC, TD, Scotiabank, HSBC and CIBC. Check out their website first and decide which account suits you best.
I see. Thanks. Then I guess I'll have to rely on US debit and credit cards for a while, at least through the self-quarantine period.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, just thought i'd put this out there. For those looking for accommodation in the next few weeks in Canada. I've noticed that looking at student accommodations from May to August helps to some extent as most of the students are away for the summer and the room mates have not been able to sublet because of the situation. This is short term only, but I feel it helps with the self-isolation requirement where you have a whole place to yourself. It's rare to find, but not impossible. Hope this helps anyone looking for accommodation for a short term landing plan.
For quarantine you really need your own place. If not the other roommates will have to quarantine inside for 14 days as well.

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
I see. Thanks. Then I guess I'll have to rely on US debit and credit cards for a while, at least through the self-quarantine period.
Another choice is exchanging for some Canadian dollar cash in your US bank. You can't bring large amount of cash but several thousands are fine. TBH during this lock down period, you don't really need much money other than food...

virkz

Star Member
Oct 26, 2019
Chandigarh
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-03-2019
Med's Done....
18-05-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2019
VISA ISSUED...
01-11-2019
LANDED..........
18-05-2020

raxx.cater

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2019
Doc's Request.
08-01-2020
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
If you have an option before your travel, I would suggest to open TD US account, their debit card is free to withdraw money from TD Canada. Also if you open TD Canada, you can freely transfer money between TD US and TD Canada.

kapilhere

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
✈Good News for Indians stranded abroad due to lockdown : SOPs issued for movement of Indian Nationals stranded abroad, as well as in India who are desirous to teavel abroad

☞ Click at link below :-
http://164.100.117.97/WriteReadData/userfiles/MHA SOPs Dt. 5.5.2020 reg Movement of Indian Nationals stranded outside the country and of specified persons in India to travel abroad.pdf
There is no communication how to register for these flights for people want to fly out of india.

virkz

Star Member
Oct 26, 2019
Chandigarh
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-03-2019
Med's Done....
18-05-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2019
VISA ISSUED...
01-11-2019
LANDED..........
18-05-2020
There is no communication how to register for these flights for people want to fly out of india.
Have patience buddy, they will soon update Ministry of Aviation webpage. Official notification is already issued but further procedure is yet to display on their website.

rktocanada

Mar 12, 2020
No worries, happy to help!

1. AirBnb, but either is ok. They did ask how are you planning your groceries etc. Our AirBnB host was helpful, shopped for us :)
2. Used Uber, CBSA said ok but please wear mask during travel. Even the driver was wearing mask :)
@ryeCatcher congratulations on your successful landing. I hope you are keeping safe.
Did you get your SIN? How's the situation for getting SIN if one couldn't get at the airport?

Amir1523

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
I live here in Vienna & lifting the lockdown has started as follows:
  • Meetings of up to 10 people are now allowed.
  • Starting May 15, Magistrate, all schools, restaurants, cafes and bars will be open.
But, It's weird that still there is no news about VAC in Vienna ! Even starting by May29, pools will reopen but not the VAC office !!
Does Canada halted the offered services by VAC?
Hey guys, What's going on with VFS global centers during these unprecedented days? Do you guys have any anticipation/idea for re-opening date?

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hey guys, What's going on with VFS global centers during these unprecedented days? Do you guys have any anticipation/idea for re-opening date?
I know we all are eager to know this but Govt[not specific to any country] has other priorities. All we can do is wait, watch and repeat.