+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As of now not even pr are getting repatriated in the special flights.Even if they allow it will not come to copr holders.And ticket prices are way too high.
There is some debate that when airlines start flying again prices may initially drop just get people flying again but then due to all the new requirements and associated costs prices will increase significantly. Add to that many routes that existed before COVID will likely never return or will be replaced by less convenient transit options And fewer airlines.

The time for cheap air travel has probably gone for good or at least for a few years.

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
So what's the update.Does it show in process?
My CoPR will expire next week and I believe my application should be reopened by mid of May but I am not 100% certain about it. Let's see. For Indian VOs there are many possibilities you might not see the update but VO might be aware of your inability to travel from your raised webform and one day you suddenly get an email stating your medicals have been extended for next 6 months and inform us when you will be able to travel. Just guessing. I think we should not worry if we are not getting an update on MyCIC account as soon as our CoPR expiries. Some people here have their application reopened within a week of their CoPR expiry and some have not. Taking example of India, not only CoPR but also people with student and worker VISAs are also stuck. Going by the numbers then you might notice how many people are there. For all of them some process might evolve so that they don't get blocked for so long. who knows

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
My CoPR will expire next week and I believe my application should be reopened by mid of May but I am not 100% certain about it. Let's see. For Indian VOs there are many possibilities you might not see the update but VO might be aware of your inability to travel from your raised webform and one day you suddenly get an email stating your medicals have been extended for next 6 months and inform us when you will be able to travel. Just guessing. I think we should not worry if we are not getting an update on MyCIC account as soon as our CoPR expiries. Some people here have their application reopened within a week of their CoPR expiry and some have not. Taking example of India, not only CoPR but also people with student and worker VISAs are also stuck. Going by the numbers then you might notice how many people are there. For all of them some process might evolve so that they don't get blocked for so long. who knows
Yes.Well directed thought.Actually now we need atleast 8 to 9 month extension . We should be able to fly by December to be safe.Lets see what they decide.Hope for the best.

Reactions: Neha_khedekar

UsakaurB

Star Member
Feb 3, 2020
If you are able to land I am not sure an extension will ve granted from those traveling from the US. This will especially be the case if more businesses are open. You are not wanting to travel due to issues with your US status not Canadian status so not a reason for CIC if you are asked why you can't travel. Things are changing so quickly so who knows what the situation will be in June.
I am not planning on to give a reason of not able to come back to US to Ircc. My primary concerns are the risks that traveling involves at this point because of covid.
I guess that is the reason the verbiage was updated to add unwilling to travel in this link few days back.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

Anh_Lam

Jul 21, 2019
Dropping in to say I have received an email from IRCC confirming that I am now a PR (without any landing interview done). Do note that I was an inland applicant.

Although I am still required to send a photograph along with CoPR documents for them to issue permanent resident card.
Hi, Im in the same situation with you. Just wondering that where do we need to send the picture for PR card, the IRCC Ottawa (which issues the CoPR) or the IRCC office where we schedule our previous landing interview?

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I am not planning on to give a reason of not able to come back to US to Ircc. My primary concerns are the risks that traveling involves at this point because of covid.
I guess that is the reason the verbiage was updated to add unwilling to travel in this link few days back.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html
Yes IRCC is encouraging travel for essential purposes as of now. When CoPR extension is in place adding unwilling word makes sense.

Reactions: Neha_khedekar

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unclear how they will deal with those that are “unwilling”. People will not be getting unlimited extensions. Once covid is under control in Canada and the US have returned to somewhat normal the argument that you are at risk goes away so would not be counting on a guaranteed extension. The plans that have been laid out have Canadians being off of lockdown in May/June so unless you are severely immunocompromised and not leaving your home you may see some pushback on who gets extensions. Given that your COPR expires mid June there are likely to be changes to lots of policies and protocols before then. Nobody can really predict what will happen 7-8 weeks from now.

foxstiger

Sep 10, 2019
Thank you. Do they ask for list of goods to follow and goods accompanying? We are taking the below documents: anything else needed other than these ?
1) passports
2) COPR letter
3) passport size photos incase they need it
4) Bank statement - POF
5) Goods accompanying and goods to follow - just handwritten list
add:
- print ircc exemption for copr holders, in case you have issue entering airplane
- booking of place to stay
Are the passport photos required for landing? Unfortunately I don't have any photo left and can't go out to take any since the businesses are closed...

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Unclear how they will deal with those that are “unwilling”. People will not be getting unlimited extensions. Once covid is under control in Canada and the US have returned to somewhat normal the argument that you are at risk goes away so would not be counting on a guaranteed extension. The plans that have been laid out have Canadians being off of lockdown in May/June so unless you are severely immunocompromised and not leaving your home you may see some pushback on who gets extensions. Given that your COPR expires mid June there are likely to be changes to lots of policies and protocols before then. Nobody can really predict what will happen 7-8 weeks from now.
Frankly speaking, I don't now why would IRCC consider rejecting or limiting CoPR extensions when people are unable or unwilling to travel. All their processes (which are published) are aligned towards minimizing the impacts on approved CoPR holders due to COVID19. They could hold the new applicants in order to accommodate the CoPR holders if situation takes time to recover. When people have put all their future at stake in moving to Canada then why would IRCC put a limit on CoPR extensions?