+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I also got an automated reply:

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients. All our efforts are dedicated to answering your concerns as the situation evolves. However, it may take some time before a response is sent to you.

In an effort to reduce duplicate requests, please refrain from sending your enquiry multiple times. Rest assured that we will communicate with you as soon as we have more information.

There is "assured" word used here. So we should wait and should not raise duplicate webforms. Once situation is under control then I believe we will be communicated over email. My watch begins!

Reactions: edgarjstephens

jefferson12

Apr 5, 2020
Hi guys. My COPR expires on May 27th. We had planned to travel on April 24th but had to cancel the plan due this Corona pandemic. I have already requested for COPR extension via webform (probably 2-3 weeks back) but haven't got any reply yet. Have they given extension for anybody here? I heard that they are automatically extending for 90 days and that we need to do the medical assessment and police verification again. Is this true?
“ I heard that they are automatically extending for 90 days and that we need to do the medical assessment and police verification again“
Where did you hear/read this?

smithplato

Star Member
Jun 7, 2019
I raised two webforms post the expiry of my copr . One to New Delhi and other to the general IRCC webform. I got an update at my profile . When I login , everything has been changed to still in process . As in the travel documents number etc has just gone and it is showing that your application is taking longer than usual . As per my understanding they have reopened my application ( according to the guidelines )
What do you guys think?

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I raised two webforms post the expiry of my copr . One to New Delhi and other to the general IRCC webform. I got an update at my profile . When I login , everything has been changed to still in process . As in the travel documents number etc has just gone and it is showing that your application is taking longer than usual . As per my understanding they have reopened my application ( according to the guidelines )
What do you guys think?
Wow you are on track now. They have tagged your application now raise webform again when you think you will be able to travel. Please make sure to access the travelling conditions before raising the webform again with your ability to travel. When did you raise your webforms? and when your CoPR expired?

smithplato

Star Member
Jun 7, 2019
Wow you are on track now. They have tagged your application now raise webform again when you think you will be able to travel. Please make sure to access the travelling conditions before raising the webform again with your ability to travel. When did you raise your webforms? and when your CoPR expired?
My Copr expired on 18 April , and I raised the two webforms on 20 April . What is tagging of an application?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Yes, just be careful about not wanting to travel, as i mentioned this previously a while back in this thread.

I should state that i asked for an extension before i landed, and they stated that i was able to travel to Canada due to the exemptions.

They didn't so much refuse the extension, but at the time there was only the travel ban in Canada in place, not the one in my country so i only mentioned the former.

Just be careful. Request the extension far before your expiry date, so that if they say no you can still land.

And if there is a travel ban in your country, mention this travel ban not the one in Canada if you qualify for the exemption. Because then they'll just say you can travel as they told me.

They even waited for the exemptions to be in place before replying to my message lol. In fairness, i still had over a month to land when i sent the request.

Last edited:

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Yes, just be careful about not wanting to travel, as i mentioned this previously a while back in this thread.

I should state that i asked for an extension before i landed, and they stated that i was able to travel to Canada due to the exemptions.

They didn't so much refuse the extension, but at the time there was only the travel ban in Canada in place, not the one in my country so i only mentioned the former.

Just be careful. Request the extension far before your expiry date, so that if they say no you can still land.

And if there is a travel ban in your country, mention this travel ban not the one in Canada if you qualify for the exemption. Because then they'll just say you can travel as they told me.

They even waited for the exemptions to be in place before replying to my message lol. In fairness, i still had over a month to land when i sent the request.
Did they refuse your request for extension or just point you to the exemptions?
What country were you traveling from? I'm surprised they encouraged someone to travel (especially if by air) rather than give them an extension :(

smithplato

Star Member
Jun 7, 2019
One more question. Did you get automated responses for any webforms you raised for your CoPR extension?
Yes , I got an automated generic response
“Exemptions to travel restrictions for foreign nationals who are coming to Canada as temporary foreign workers, some international students and approved permanent residents who haven’t landed are now in effect. If you’re exempt, you may travel to Canada once commercial flights resume.

When you arrive in Canada, you must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory. Before you travel, you will need to go through health screening protocols.

For more information on who is exempt, visit:
https://www.canada.ca/…/s…/coronavirus-special-measures.html

If your COPR counterfoil expires prior to being able to travel, you do not need to email us as you will receive communication from our office on the next steps to be taken in order to travel to Canada after commercial flights become available.”
Also , I just wrote that I was not able to land in Canada because of travel ban in wake of Covid 19 . I attached three flight tickets( cancelled ) and my Airbnb booking .

Last edited:
Reactions: whyCorona

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Did they refuse your request for extension or just point you to the exemptions?
What country were you traveling from? I'm surprised they encouraged someone to travel (especially if by air) rather than give them an extension :(
No, they didn't mention refusing the extension request, they just pointed me to the exemptions in detail and said you can travel.

I'd prefer to keep my country of origin private, but at that juncture we did not have a travel ban, we did have one later on 31 March until present. We also didn't have a lot of cases, i don't know if they factored that in.

Funnily enough i got the response after i landed lol.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

psato

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
AOR Received.
18-11-2018
Med's Request
17-08-2019
Med's Done....
29-08-2019
Be careful. If you able to travel but would have to go into quarantine that doesn’t mean you can’t travel. There have been no clarification about people who can travel but don’t want to.
Hi, thank you for the reply! Yes, for people who are somehow able to fly (no lockdowns for example), although flights are scarce and there is the risk of the virus, the situation is not clear now. In my specific case I still have some months ahead untill the expiry date, so I decided to wait and see how things develop in my country and in Canada. If, somehow, I see that my landing is at risk in the upcoming months I will definitely raise a webform and won´t just wait the expiration of my COPR. As you mentioned, I just wish IRCC would make a clarification regarding extensions. ;)

Reactions: aurelero

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi, thank you for the reply! Yes, for people who are somehow able to fly (no lockdowns for example), although flights are scarce and there is the risk of the virus, the situation is not clear now. In my specific case I still have some months ahead untill the expiry date, so I decided to wait and see how things develop in my country and in Canada. If, somehow, I see that my landing is at risk in the upcoming months I will definitely raise a webform and won´t just wait the expiration of my COPR. As you mentioned, I just wish IRCC would make a clarification regarding extensions. ;)
In my opinion if you are able to fly but a bit hesitant due to health risks and no plans for quarantine yourself then why to travel. IRCC is stating that if you have no plans to quarantine yourself then please delay your travel. If you have a job offer to grab or planning to work in a job that can contribute to society directly or indirectly then please go ahead and travel.