+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
Thanks everyone. It's been super helpful having someone to talk to. I've been trying Airbnb for sometime now and they seem a little scared and reluctant to people travelling from outside. I'll keep trying though . :)
The same issue I have.. Its really exhausting

CountessO

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
Your copr expires August 8. Take a chill pill. This thread was started for those whose copr expires soon or already expired. Your post is a slap to the face of those who quit their jobs , sold their cars, stopped their lives in preparation for their new lives and then got stuck with expired or soon to be expired documents. August is 4 months away. Chill, I beg you
This is a bit harsh. Don't you think?

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
Wait awhile. I am September too, wait until June
Hi Everyone,
COPR expires August 8, 2020. Should I still raise a webform or should I hold on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Nivo0811

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
No!! Travel seems to be restricted till May 31 but you should still be able to find odd flight.
You are still flying in May? Yours got cancelled?

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
Reactions: Lachelle

schandrika

Jun 26, 2019
Yes people r different we wanna be with our loved one in this tough situation not staying away from them ... just a group of people who wants to stay their wish
This is true for myself as well. My husband is in NYC and I am super worried as he is all alone. I have family here so will manage. What happens if he falls sick?
Personally our COPRs expire 8th August, so I understand I might be able to travel before that. But still him being alone there puts me in a very difficult position

Reactions: Farahnaz11

Fazzio

Jun 4, 2019
Hi everyone,
I just want to share my experience here:

My CoPR is going to expire tomorrow, April 21st.
Before the travel restrictions, I was supposed to move to Kelowna, BC, on March 31st. The flight tickets were obviously canceled, and since then I have been trying to find a way to get extension or to travel before the expiration date.
I managed to find tickets to fly last Saturday, to Toronto. As soon as I bought the tickets, I started to look for an Airbnb (no shared accommodation). However, every place I tried refused me. They were reluctant to receive people, even if they are asking for the entire place...
So, for people who face the same situation, be aware of that before buying flight tickets. Make sure you have enough time to look for a place to self isolate...because you will probably face difficulty to find one.

Now I just can raise another webform and pray for the situation gets better. I thought it was not reliable flying without a place to stay, trusting on the possible provided accommodation.
Hope you all stay safe. Good luck

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi everyone,
I just want to share my experience here:

My CoPR is going to expire tomorrow, April 21st.
Before the travel restrictions, I was supposed to move to Kelowna, BC, on March 31st. The flight tickets were obviously canceled, and since then I have been trying to find a way to get extension or to travel before the expiration date.
I managed to find tickets to fly last Saturday, to Toronto. As soon as I bought the tickets, I started to look for an Airbnb (no shared accommodation). However, every place I tried refused me. They were reluctant to receive people, even if they are asking for the entire place...
So, for people who face the same situation, be aware of that before buying flight tickets. Make sure you have enough time to look for a place to self isolate...because you will probably face difficulty to find one.

Now I just can raise another webform and pray for the situation gets better. I thought it was not reliable flying without a place to stay, trusting on the possible provided accommodation.
Hope you all stay safe. Good luck
For anyone looking for Airbnb in Ontario be aware the the province has a temporary ban on short term airbnb rentals. This was an attempt to stop people from travelling unecessarily from their main residence. No idea about other provinces

schandrika

Jun 26, 2019
For anyone looking for Airbnb in Ontario be aware the the province has a temporary ban on short term airbnb rentals. This was an attempt to stop people from travelling unecessarily from their main residence. No idea about other provinces
What is short term? What if u rent for a month?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
What is short term? What if u rent for a month?

"The Licensing and Registration Of Short-Term Rentals bylaw defines a short-term rental as all or part of a dwelling unit in the City of Toronto used to provide sleeping accommodations for any rental period that is less than 28 consecutive days in exchange for payment. This includes existing B&Bs but excludes hotels, motels and accommodations where there is no payment (for example, staying with friends and family, and couchsurfing).""

The above is for the city of Toronto.

For Ontario, see Regulation 82/20,https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200082

Even if you get short term rental, you have to self-isolate for 14 days, and have to provide a plan on how and where you will do it, which includes how you will obtain groceries as well as your travel from the airport to your place where you intend to stay.

Failure to comply with this Order is an offense under the Quarantine Act. Maximum penalties include a fine of up to $750,000 and/or imprisonment for six months. Further, a person who causes a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person while wilfully or recklessly contravening this Act or the regulations could be liable for a fine of up to $1,000,000 or to imprisonment of up to three years, or to both. Spot checks will be conducted by the Government of Canada to verify compliance.

Order available at: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/03/new-order-makes-self-isolation-mandatory-for-individuals-entering-canada.html

Updated April 15, 2020:https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/04/government-of-canada-updates-mandatory-requirements-for-travellers-entering-canada.html

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
what are the options now to self isolate if airbnb's have restrictions? Has anyone here on the forum tried contacting any hotels if they are allowing international passengers?

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
https://files.ontario.ca/solgen-oic-closure-nonessential-business-2020-04-03_0.pdf

The rule says "Short term rentals 3. (1) Every person who provides short term rentals in rental accommodations shall ensure that any rentals booked after April 4, 2020 are only provided to individuals who are in need of housing during the emergency period. "

Hosts might be canceling because of the circumstances and mostly uncertainty. But, as you can read above, the rule specifically says it is allowed for anyone in need of housing during the emergency period. My interpretation is that they are stopping use of weekend or shorter duration bookings people generally use during travel.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

raxx.cater

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2019
Doc's Request.
08-01-2020
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
what are the options now to self isolate if airbnb's have restrictions? Has anyone here on the forum tried contacting any hotels if they are allowing international passengers?
As per my understanding hotels cannot restrict anyone based on country of origin. But my concern was more towards if Canada Govt. allows Self-isolation in hotels or not.
I found these 2 links contradicting each other:

News link - https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/quarantine-act-no-plan-hotel-1.5531717
The news says, that if we do not have a proper plan we may need to check-in to a hotel.

Official website - https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html
The above link says - "Do not stay at hotel" (For travellers without symptoms returning to Canada).

Not sure, which one to follow, whether the news is latest or content on official website is latest!

raxx.cater

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2019
Doc's Request.
08-01-2020
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
https://files.ontario.ca/solgen-oic-closure-nonessential-business-2020-04-03_0.pdf

The rule says "Short term rentals 3. (1) Every person who provides short term rentals in rental accommodations shall ensure that any rentals booked after April 4, 2020 are only provided to individuals who are in need of housing during the emergency period. "

Hosts might be canceling because of the circumstances and mostly uncertainty. But, as you can read above, the rule specifically says it is allowed for anyone in need of housing during the emergency period. My interpretation is that they are stopping use of weekend or shorter duration bookings people generally use during travel.
Short term rental is treated as anything less than 28 days. 28 days or more is fine as long as the Airbnb host is ready to approve.