+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Kay02

Oct 6, 2018
@Kay02

I was able to get in contact with my consultant and he said that if you aren't planning on settling down right away or stay in Canada for at least 3 months with a proper plan for the 14-day mandatory isolation, it's best to send the webform and get an extension.

Since I'm not able to make a permanent move to Canada yet, I sent the request for a visa extension to IRCC webform and the London office because that's where my case was processed. I didn't receive a real reply from either but I did get this automated one from the London office.
Thanks for the info

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hi guys, just to update you on my landing process yesterday.

Travelled with 3 dependants from London Heathrow Airport via AirCanada to Toronto for soft landing and staying for 3 weeks, upon checking in at Heathrow they had to verify by ringing CIC to know we are allowed to travel with our COPR and the process took just about 10 minutes.

The plane was reasonable full but social distancing was in place and be prepared to fill a landing card which will ask of where you will be staying , upon arrival at Toronto we were given a Convid-19 form to fill which ask for details of where we will be isolating, then proceeded to a desk to drop the landing card and was asked general questions like purpose of trip,if we have any symptoms and where we plan to isolate.

Afterwards we proceeded to the main entry point, this is where the officer asked me about where we plan to isolate, if there is any vulnerable living in the address over the age of 60, how much money I have with me then we submitted our passports/ signed COPR docs and was asked to go have a sit for him to process them which took like 15 minutes.

Overall, it was a stress free experience but what I observed was each officer we met warned us sternly about the 14 days isolation and the repercussions if we violate it like fines and possibility of jail sentence. No Joking about this, no walks, groceries and one particular officer said we will check you up at this address and must meet you all four at home

So that’s all I can remember so far but will be happy for questions.

All the best to you all.
Thanks for sharing experience.

When they asked for vulnerable living in the address? Are they okay for us to share the place with another person like say a airbnb host? Obviously we will be isolated for 14 days?

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
As long it's not in Quebec no issue with that (actually one guy here landed in Montreal and he was lucky to not be rejected).
Guys, please stop misinforming others.

You absolutely can land in Montreal if it happens to be your first PoE. Given enough care, you will be okay. However, it is your responsibility to convince the landing officer that you are not going to settle in Quebec. In other words, do not stay in Quebec for a considerable period of time after landing and do not declare a Quebec address for your PR cards.

We landed in Montreal a month ago with no problem. We did a soft landing with one-way tickets on hands and no accommodation booking in any city. We did have an ongoing flight to Vancouver later on that day, but the officer didn’t ask to show our tickets.

Furthermore, when I said we were thinking of staying in Montreal “for a couple of days“, the officer replied it was okay.

Maybe he was just nice, but the conclusion is the same: everyone can land in Montreal.

P.S. Before anyone starts with the whole self-isolation thing... When we landed, the mandatory 14-day self-isolation rule was not in effect. Hence we self-isolated for a day in Vancouver before flying back home. We took all the necessary precautions and extra care not to be a threat to others.

Last edited:

jyyde

May 3, 2017
Thanks for sharing experience.

When they asked for vulnerable living in the address? Are they okay for us to share the place with another person like say a airbnb host? Obviously we will be isolated for 14 days?
Yes I would imagine so, officer just asked if I was sure no over 60’s or people with medical conditions live in the address and if they knew we were coming so might be reasonable to find out who else will be in the Airbnb, I doubt if they will visit like they said but best to just be safe.

NishaThakkar

Apr 18, 2019
So Guys !! My COPR expired on 25 March and I did not travel to Canada due to Corona Outbreak. I have raised webform on 9 March and received true response (not the automated one) on 2 April. They mentioned me that they are extending my medicals to another six months and they will update me on re-issuing my COPR and landing VISA. So chill guys. They are helping us in the crisis situation like this. Make sure everyone who have expiry dates coming up up shortly, proactively raise webform to make our case strong . Below is the response I got.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Note: The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services.

Please refer to our public website for information on how this may affect you:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

Please do not attempt to enter Canada using the visas and confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) documents that expired on March 25, 2020.

It appears that your immigration medical exam (IME) has been extended to 2020/09/17; new visas and COPRs will also be issued with an extended date.

Once it is possible for you to travel, use the Web form to let us know so we can tell you what to do next.

Please ensure that your passport remains valid; you must hold a valid passport at the time of travel and landing.

If you renew your passport in the near future, please advise us of the new passport information.

Regards,
I could you please let me know about your visa processing office??

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019

Travelled with 3 dependants from London Heathrow Airport via AirCanada to Toronto for soft landing and staying for 3 weeks, upon checking in at Heathrow they had to verify by ringing CIC to know we are allowed to travel with our COPR and the process took just about 10 minutes.

The plane was reasonable full but social distancing was in place and be prepared to fill a landing card which will ask of where you will be staying , upon arrival at Toronto we were given a Convid-19 form to fill which ask for details of where we will be isolating, then proceeded to a desk to drop the landing card and was asked general questions like purpose of trip,if we have any symptoms and where we plan to isolate.

Afterwards we proceeded to the main entry point, this is where the officer asked me about where we plan to isolate, if there is any vulnerable living in the address over the age of 60, how much money I have with me then we submitted our passports/ signed COPR docs and was asked to go have a sit for him to process them which took like 15 minutes.

Overall, it was a stress free experience but what I observed was each officer we met warned us sternly about the 14 days isolation and the repercussions if we violate it like fines and possibility of jail sentence. No Joking about this, no walks, groceries and one particular officer said we will check you up at this address and must meet you all four at home

All the best to you all.
@jyyde thanks for sharing your info!
Am surprised the flight wasn't completely empty. What is your plan for return after your 3 weeks? Did anyone ask you about it, or do you foresee any potential issues (like questions from CBSA about what is in effect a soft landing) with returning after the isolation?

dashing_warrior

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019

All the best to you all.
Hello, congratulations on your landing and welcome to Canada!

Did your landing officer ask any questions regarding your future travel arrangements to your province? Did you have any issues with staying in Toronto during your soft landing in light of your provincial nomination?

jayanth792

May 16, 2019

All the best to you all.
Is it allowed to have the address of self quarantining place and the PR Card delivery different?

Reactions: aurelero

Ships123

Mar 18, 2019
@jyyde thanks for sharing your info!
Am surprised the flight wasn't completely empty. What is your plan for return after your 3 weeks? Did anyone ask you about it, or do you foresee any potential issues (like questions from CBSA about what is in effect a soft landing) with returning after the isolation?

Ships123

Mar 18, 2019
Hello everyone, I have heard that Ontario has declared a state of emergency till 12th May , it doesn't mean that we won't be stopped from entering or landing in Toronto during this time frame?
Incoming flights will still be allowed in Toronto right? I have to make important decisions based on this.a reply would help me a lot.Thanks

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
Guys, please stop misinforming others.

You absolutely can land in Montreal if it happens to be your first PoE. Given enough care, you will be okay. However, it is your responsibility to convince the landing officer that you are not going to settle in Quebec. In other words, do not stay in Quebec for a considerable period of time after landing and do not declare a Quebec address for your PR cards.

We landed in Montreal a month ago with no problem. We did a soft landing with one-way tickets on hands and no accommodation booking in any city. We did have an ongoing flight to Vancouver later on that day, but the officer didn’t ask to show our tickets.

Furthermore, when I said we were thinking of staying in Montreal “for a couple of days“, the officer replied it was okay.

Maybe he was just nice, but the conclusion is the same: everyone can land in Montreal.

P.S. Before anyone starts with the whole self-isolation thing... When we landed, the mandatory 14-day self-isolation rule was not in effect. Hence we self-isolated for a day in Vancouver before flying back home. We took all the necessary precautions and extra care not to be a threat to others.
Am I the only one to be surprised by what dashing_warrior is saying there?
I wish he is right though.

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
Hello everyone, I have heard that Ontario has declared a state of emergency till 12th May , it doesn't mean that we won't be stopped from entering or landing in Toronto during this time frame?
Incoming flights will still be allowed in Toronto right? I have to make important decisions based on this.a reply would help me a lot.Thanks
I thought it was only an extension of the "state of emergency" that was going on?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Am I the only one to be surprised by what dashing_warrior is saying there?
I wish he is right though.
Considering that they are right, yeah, you may be the only one surprised. It's perfectly fine for any non-Quebec applicants to land in Quebec with proof of ongoing travel to another province/territory.

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
Considering that they are right, yeah, you may be the only one surprised. It's perfectly fine for any non-Quebec applicants to land in Quebec with proof of ongoing travel to another province/territory.
Ok, shame on me, I thought it was only accepted for stopovers in Quebec (which was not his case).