+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Anna09

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Canada
Hi everyone,
I’m inland Ontario pnp with job offer foreigners work stream , I’ve worked with my employer for 18 month with close work permit while I was waiting for my pr, I received copr month ago but because of covid-19 can’t sign the copr yet ( canceled interview , border closed ...)
Now My question is if my employer wants lay-off me because of this pandemic does it gonna impact my pr? Or because I already fulfilled 18 month with same employer it won’t effect landing for pr anyway ? I’ll be appreciate if some one can explains with sources , I couldn’t find related doc on cic website .

Raghuveer

Apr 4, 2020
Hello everyone!! Hope everyone is safe.

Our copr is expiring on 31st May,2020. We had booked Air Canada for 18th May but it stands cancelled. We are reluctant to fly even after flights resume as we have a toddler and don't want to risk his well being. Is this a reason good enough to raise a webform to communicate our inability to fly and to ask for Visa extension? I mean will they accept this reason even more than month away from our visa expiry?
Thanks in advance!
I think you can wait....let's hope by 31st May things become better...and also in coming weeks we should get clarity on how IRCC is handling COPRs that have expired. Personally, I value safety more than migration

Farahnaz11

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2019
App. Filed.......
March 08 2019
AOR Received.
April 10 2019
Med's Request
May 1 2019
Med's Done....
May 6 2019
I think you can wait....let's hope by 31st May things become better...and also in coming weeks we should get clarity on how IRCC is handling COPRs that have expired. Personally, I value safety more than migration
Do u think they might ask for remedical ??? Another extra cost for us and another month or so to get the visa back ?

Uzi_

Apr 12, 2020
Any information on when air borders are going to open in pakistan?
PIA is still operating some outbound flights. There is one direct flight from Islamabad to Toronto every Wednesday. You should call PIA helpline to check if they can accommodate you.

Reactions: CountessO

Indranil01

Mar 19, 2020
So it’s time for Islander’s epic voyage to land in Canada

We start off in my home country. So i wait for the exemptions to be in place, they are announced 26 night time my time. So 27 i wake up, see the exemptions have been announced and then contact my travel agent to see if there is some slim chance there is a miracle i could get a flight to Canada, as the last thing i had heard was that Air Canada had suspended all flights and flights were due to be suspended in my home country as well. Well, just so happens there is a hail mary on the horizon, there is a last flight from london to toronto on the 28. So i tell her to book it for me but she told me the airline has taken control of my ticket, most likely because i missed my flight to paris on 18 because the travel ban in canada had just been implemented. So she insists i have to contact the airline, my dad calls them several times they insist it’s the travel agent who must change the booking, we call up the travel agent several times, she insists she can’t do it, it has to be the airline. So my dad calls up the airline, this time he’s annoyed and asks to talk to the supervisor, the lady insists we have to deal with her first before she involves the supervisor. The conversation is going poorly so i ask to speak to her, i explain the situation, she says the airline is relunctant to change my ticket from paris to london for some reason, and that priority is being given to foreign nationals being repatriated. I explain to her that because there is a travel ban in my home country being implemented until 30 april, my CoPR will expire on the same day and so this is my last chance to land in canada. She says she understands and she will call me back. So i wait for almost 2 hours, my dad is getting impatient, i tell him just give her some time and let’s see what happens. She calls me back, my heart is about to stop but she tells me that she has made the booking and she got me the last seat on the plane. I thank her profusely and start getting ready to go because the flight is later that night.
So i get to the airport and check in for my flight, now the real struggle commences. The lady at the counter is not sure whether i can fly, her colleague, a certified douchebag, says he knows first time PRs cannot travel now. I tell him about the exemptions, and show her the print out of the announcements, something my dad told me to do. She tells me she will confer with her supervisor. She tells me to go have a seat and i see her supervisor looking into the matter and holding my passport. I see her taking a lot of time, i also see douchebag face hanging around and flapping his gums, so sensing i need to step in, i get up and go talk to the supervisor. She is very polite but tells me she is trying to verify whether i can travel to Canada, and they have significant doubts on whether immigration will allow me to enter Canada. I show her the exemptions in the print out from IRCC, we go back and forth for a while. She isn’t sure whether the PR visa in my passport which says immigrant means PR, so i show her my COPR. She even instructs her underling to go find it on the website, wherein which i show where to find the announcements. In the end she requests to have a copy of my PR visa, COPR and the annoucements. What also helps convince her is that i have a return ticket, so if they refuse me boarding in london, they can just offset the cost of repatriation against that. Douchebag makes a remark about if i get deported I’ll have to accept that, i say with full confidence that’s fine. I finally get on the flight to London, the second battle is won.

So now I’m in Heathrow, it sucks everything is closed, literally everything. Only thing open is the self check out shops, but you can only use credit cards, and I’m not that desperate for a bag of lays and a drink. I go to Air Canada there thinking the worst is over, but when i check in, they are also very doubtful about whether i can travel to canada. They are very polite but the lady refers my case to her colleague and he’s very nice but it’s clear they are not really aware of the exemptions, and they are looking for confirmation. All of this is taking a lot of time and i begin to wonder whether i really will be able to travel. The lady then tells me that it’s okay for me to travel and then i hear her get a call from someone saying to recheck whether i can travel. There is also another COPR holder and a foreign worker, and we are all waiting. Finally the guy takes a small cellphone which is like their batline to Canada, explains the situation and gives them my visa reference. They give him the all clear but there are some issues with the system and he needs an override. In the end, he gives me my boarding pass and i apologize for all the hassle. He tells me the thing is things evolve on a hourly basis and that’s why they need to check.
So i head to the terminal and wait to board the flight to Toronto. Once it’s my turn to board, the lady checking boarding passes and passports asks me about my status, i tell her I’m landing as a PR, she asks me if i have any immediate family , and then i get pulled out of line and then told to speak to another guy. Then he checks my passport, i reexplain the situation , then now he makes another phone call. Finally, he says i can board, i tell the lady, she just waves to me to go and finally, i am on board the flight.

So i arrive in the promised land, i head to immigration, guy just asks me my status in canada, i tell him I’m landing as a permanent resident, he asks me what food product i have, i said spices, he says that’s all, i say yes, he just does a cross in pink on my declaration card and writes something in red, and hands me my passport and i head out. Once i leave the counter i end up walking the wrong way, and a girl tells me to land as a permanent resident, i need to go to the right. I confirm with her, she gives me a big smile lol, and i head to the landing counters. There’s no one in line, so i just go to the head of the line, and wait for someone to call me. A lady does quickly and i go to see her, i give her my passport and she asks for my COPR, which i remove from my bag. She asks me if i was ever asked to leave Canada, i say no, asks if I’ve committed a crime, i say no, then she asks me to sign 3 places on each copy, asks whether this is the address where i want my PR card sent, i said yes, she tells me it will take 2 or 3 months, i wince to myself, she tells me i have to stay 2 out of 5 years as my residency obligations, she signs and gives me back my copy, and i thank her and she tells me to have a nice day. I said you too.

I head to customs, the guy asks if im landing as a PR, i say yes, he asks if i have goods to follow, i shake my head no, he gestures to go ahead.

So that’s that.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Were you asked about proof of funds? Amidst other things, this situation is taking a toll on my savings and when it is my time to fly (which will be a while from now since my COPR expires tomorrow) my funds situation might not be IDEAL. :(

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Members, my sincerest commiserations to those whose documents have expired, or are seeking extension, and those who are financially burdened because their landing plans were involuntarily postponed.

My question, however, is: Has IRCC issued or is expected to issue some clarity on those who are unwilling to travel due to COVID-related fears when they are capable of traveling (open borders/available flights)?

Reactions: aurelero

Samar2012

Nov 7, 2018
Category........
AINP
Hi everyone,
I’m inland Ontario pnp with job offer foreigners work stream , I’ve worked with my employer for 18 month with close work permit while I was waiting for my pr, I received copr month ago but because of covid-19 can’t sign the copr yet ( canceled interview , border closed ...)
Now My question is if my employer wants lay-off me because of this pandemic does it gonna impact my pr? Or because I already fulfilled 18 month with same employer it won’t effect landing for pr anyway ? I’ll be appreciate if some one can explains with sources , I couldn’t find related doc on cic website .
Did you applied your federal after approved your ONTARIO PNP .

lost48

Apr 12, 2020
Hello everyone!! Hope everyone is safe.

Our copr is expiring on 31st May,2020. We had booked Air Canada for 18th May but it stands cancelled. We are reluctant to fly even after flights resume as we have a toddler and don't want to risk his well being. Is this a reason good enough to raise a webform to communicate our inability to fly and to ask for Visa extension? I mean will they accept this reason even more than month away from our visa expiry?
Thanks in advance!
We have a similar situation, our COPR expires 21 May, 2020. We are flying Ukrainian Airlines from the UAE via Kiev on May 9th and the flights still show as scheduled. But we are also reluctant to fly and wondering if it would be a good enough reason to ask for an extension just like your case. I have a consultant that helped with our case, I will ask him as well and let you know of any update.

Reactions: GCSA and aurelero

Uppergit

Mar 19, 2020
PIA is still operating some outbound flights. There is one direct flight from Islamabad to Toronto every Wednesday. You should call PIA helpline to check if they can accommodate you.
I contacted thwm yesterday and they told me n9 flights for toronto in this month...Thank u for you response

aurelero

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
France
We have a similar situation, our COPR expires 21 May, 2020. We are flying Ukrainian Airlines from the UAE via Kiev on May 9th and the flights still show as scheduled. But we are also reluctant to fly and wondering if it would be a good enough reason to ask for an extension just like your case. I have a consultant that helped with our case, I will ask him as well and let you know of any update.
Same here: May 21st. I am now "following" you :)

Reactions: lost48