+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

SWB

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
Yes syes it's a good enough reason.please go ahead
Hello everyone!! Hope everyone is safe.

Our copr is expiring on 31st May,2020. We had booked Air Canada for 18th May but it stands cancelled. We are reluctant to fly even after flights resume as we have a toddler and don't want to risk his well being. Is this a reason good enough to raise a webform to communicate our inability to fly and to ask for Visa extension? I mean will they accept this reason even more than month away from our visa expiry?
Thanks in advance!

Saurav205

Dec 1, 2019
no i dont think so
if u r allowed to travel go a head.
there is a similar case got refused.
Hi, can you please give the link if the person who was refused. My copr expired in June mid but my tickets for May were cancelled by the airlines. I wish to see if they can extend. Would like to read/ know more about the refused case

TIA

Ralino

Apr 9, 2020
no i dont think so
if u r allowed to travel go a head.
there is a similar case got refused.
Hi dear, apprecite if you explain further, my CoPR will expire by May7th, and i'm not ready to take the risk and travel with my whole family during this outbreak.
So do you mean please that similar cases got a NO from IRCC for visa extension because of not travelling during the outbreak?

wick_sran

Mar 5, 2012
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2019
IELTS Request
01-02-2019
Hi dear, apprecite if you explain further, my CoPR will expire by May7th, and i'm not ready to take the risk and travel with my whole family during this outbreak.
So do you mean please that similar cases got a NO from IRCC for visa extension because of not travelling during the outbreak?
One person has reported rejection on this forum but that was before the IRCC issued COVID-19 related information. No rejection has been reported after the instructions manual was issued. People are simply getting generic replies only.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Once the guy wanted to listen to me, and I was able to explain what we were there for, he then let us in. I asked the American border before I left too asking if I would be allowed in as I am a Canadian on a visa, and I wasn't sure if they'd let me in, and they stated if it's a valid visa then I'd be accepted.
@Lmac4 so if I understood correctly you asked the CBP before leaving if they'd let you in on your work visa (independently of your husband being a citizen) and they said yes?

I called CBSA and CBP this morning again, and got confusing messages. CBSA clearly said no for soft landing, and CBP said I cannot drive from Canada to US border :(

raxx.cater

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2019
Doc's Request.
08-01-2020
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
@Lmac4 so if I understood correctly you asked the CBP before leaving if they'd let you in on your work visa (independently of your husband being a citizen) and they said yes?

I called CBSA and CBP this morning again, and got confusing messages. CBSA clearly said no for soft landing, and CBP said I cannot drive from Canada to US border :(
Hello RyeCatcher, Even I got similar response for CBP that by land it may not be possible so I should stick to airlines. But unfortunately, CBSA was telling me to contact IRCC (to see if I can travel by land or not) which I did not understood as IRCC manages immigration and the borders are managed by CBSA.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Thanks for sharing your experience! Were you asked about proof of funds? Amidst other things, this situation is taking a toll on my savings and when it is my time to fly (which will be a while from now since my COPR expires tomorrow) my funds situation might not be IDEAL. :(
I was not asked about POF, but someone who landed after me was asked about it, and asked to show her documents. It's always something you have to be prepared for.

Do you have at least the minimum balance required?

I don't think it will be a major issue because this situation has been difficult, but it all depends on the border agent.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Hello RyeCatcher, Even I got similar response for CBP that by land it may not be possible so I should stick to airlines. But unfortunately, CBSA was telling me to contact IRCC (to see if I can travel by land or not) which I did not understood as IRCC manages immigration and the borders are managed by CBSA.
Travel restrictions are decided by IRCC and CBSA just enforce the rules.

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018

Yes, I am a Canadian citizen and I asked the CBP if I was a Canadian on a work visa (who is still considered an essential employee) would I be let in? He asked if my visa was still valid. I said yes, and he said there would be no issues getting in.

Don't ask for a soft landing. They are telling everyone (including me) that this isn't possible. Ask if you abide by the 14 day quarantine if this is possible.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

raxx.cater

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2019
Doc's Request.
08-01-2020
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
Travel restrictions are decided by IRCC and CBSA just enforce the rules.
That's what I wanted to say, IRCC decides the restrictions, CBSA implements it. But IRCC does not specify which border can we use, as that part comes under CBSA. Some of the land borders are not accepting COPR entry due to limited number of officers being available, so all we are getting from both CBSA and IRCC is generic replies.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Yes, I am a Canadian citizen and I asked the CBP if I was a Canadian on a work visa (who is still considered an essential employee) would I be let in? He asked if my visa was still valid. I said yes, and he said there would be no issues getting in.

Don't ask for a soft landing. They are telling everyone (including me) that this isn't possible. Ask if you abide by the 14 day quarantine if this is possible.
Did he say how it is decided who is an "essential employee", I thought that refers only to doctors and nurses etc.

The CBSA did indeed say that they would process my COPR if I was willing to abide by the 14day self isolation and if I was coming to "settle permanently". Thanks for sharing all your info! :)

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
That's what I wanted to say, IRCC decides the restrictions, CBSA implements it. But IRCC does not specify which border can we use, as that part comes under CBSA. Some of the land borders are not accepting COPR entry due to limited number of officers being available, so all we are getting from both CBSA and IRCC is generic replies.
Did any specific land border tell you they will not accept COPR? I have called Detroit and the CBSA POE in North Dakota, both said they will accept COPR (as long as following self isolation etc.)

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
But i think the border agent was telling you to find out whether you could travel or not, not to find out which border point you can use.

raxx.cater

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2019
Doc's Request.
08-01-2020
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
Did any specific land border tell you they will not accept COPR? I have called Detroit and the CBSA POE in North Dakota, both said they will accept COPR (as long as following self isolation etc.)
I called at Rainbow bridge (Niagara), they said they are not accepting COPR as it is Non-essential.