+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
In all US states are under a major disaster declaration from yesterday. Does it mean it is not OK to travel to Canada?
We are located in one of the three tri - state areas (NY, CT AND NJ) all of which have had a "travel advisory/ban" due to the high amounts of cases here and we travelled. We didn't hear anything back from IRCC so we didn't want the "you couldn't travel vs. you didn't want to travel" scenario happening to us

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Congratulations! Glad you were able to successfully turn around that is ideal!

Thank you so much for sharing in great detail, it is very helpful.
Though it has just left me more confused :( , I am not a US citizen so I feel if we had been in your place, we wouldn't have been let back into the US?
I've called the Detroit port of entry on the US side (CBP) and they told me that I can return on a H1 work visa, but it seems clear that there is some miscommunication between IRCC -> CBSA and USCIS/DHS -> CBP on both sides :(
Once the guy wanted to listen to me, and I was able to explain what we were there for, he then let us in. I asked the American border before I left too asking if I would be allowed in as I am a Canadian on a visa, and I wasn't sure if they'd let me in, and they stated if it's a valid visa then I'd be accepted.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Yes, once the confusion at the actual border happened, we were told to pull up to the building and remain in the car. It was then the officer came out, asked the 4 or 5 questions, got my husband to sign the paper and we were sent along our marry way.
Okay, i'm glad, but it was a risky move. Sometimes risk moves pay off sometimes they can end disastrously.

I think it's pretty clear landing at the border is not the best idea right now.

Reactions: Indranil01

Lmac4

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Okay, i'm glad, but it was a risky move. Sometimes risk moves pay off sometimes they can end disastrously.

I think it's pretty clear landing at the border is not the best idea right now.
I 100% agree, the land borders are all sorts of confused!!! Like I said, make sure you print proof from the canada.ca website stating that we ARE exempt, and are considered essential travel. Call anyone and everyone you can (preferably at the border you plan on crossing at)- get a name/ badge number and be polite, but somewhat forceful??? They don't want you there anymore than you want to be there...

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
So just to see if i understand this properly, did your husband manage to land successfully?
I 100% agree, the land borders are all sorts of confused!!! Like I said, make sure you print proof from the canada.ca website stating that we ARE exempt, and are considered essential travel. Call anyone and everyone you can (preferably at the border you plan on crossing at)- get a name/ badge number and be polite, but somewhat forceful??? They don't want you there anymore than you want to be there...
do you think flight is better than land?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
do you think flight is better than land?
Yes, i do. I flew and had no issues at immigration.

But you need to be prepared to answer any tough questions, and there still seems to be some inconsistency on whether they will allow you to take the flight. But once you're there, i don't think there will be any issues.

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Once the guy wanted to listen to me, and I was able to explain what we were there for, he then let us in. I asked the American border before I left too asking if I would be allowed in as I am a Canadian on a visa, and I wasn't sure if they'd let me in, and they stated if it's a valid visa then I'd be accepted.
Thanks for writing a detailed post, everyone here who is the US was desperately waiting for your post and praying that all went well.

Do you think you would have been successful to return back had your husband not been an american citizen?

If I understand correctly, the officer did not take the GTF list, But. did they complete the COPR formalily?

Reactions: Indranil01

tagarzain555

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Yes, i do. I flew and had no issues at immigration.

But you need to be prepared to answer any tough questions, and there still seems to be some inconsistency on whether they will allow you to take the flight. But once you're there, i don't think there will be any issues.
What tought questions? What were u asked from them at origin and destination pls detail answer please.

Soph971

Mar 28, 2020
I asked the bank to provide me something with my new address on their letterhead which should do for now. The bank itself didn't require a proof of address.
I don't know if they are still opened since this all COVID 19 situation but I believe that UPS can allow you rent a proper home address. This can become handy especially until you get a permanent accommodation. You can receive your mails over there and give that proper "home address" when you do your paperwork :) .

Kay02

Oct 6, 2018
Hello everyone!! Hope everyone is safe.

Our copr is expiring on 31st May,2020. We had booked Air Canada for 18th May but it stands cancelled. We are reluctant to fly even after flights resume as we have a toddler and don't want to risk his well being. Is this a reason good enough to raise a webform to communicate our inability to fly and to ask for Visa extension? I mean will they accept this reason even more than month away from our visa expiry?
Thanks in advance!

mayar-123456789

Star Member
Nov 25, 2019
Hello everyone!! Hope everyone is safe.

Our copr is expiring on 31st May,2020. We had booked Air Canada for 18th May but it stands cancelled. We are reluctant to fly even after flights resume as we have a toddler and don't want to risk his well being. Is this a reason good enough to raise a webform to communicate our inability to fly and to ask for Visa extension? I mean will they accept this reason even more than month away from our visa expiry?
Thanks in advance!
no i dont think so
if u r allowed to travel go a head.
there is a similar case got refused.