+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

smithplato

Star Member
Jun 7, 2019
Guys I am also in the same boat (COPR expiring soon ), and this is my interpretation of what is happening. Consider this as my RANT

I wish everyone a sound health.

Flying to Canada

Honestly I don’t think anyone can fly . Who are we or agents on the phone or flight personnel to attach another exception to what the Prime Minister of Canada has said. When Prime Minster says that only citizens and PRs are allowed , it means only citizens and PR allowed. There is no ambiguity. Just because our visas are expiring we cannot just presume things.

Can we fly

A lot has been said about the meaning of the word “ can” . Like who can fly , doing everything in your own capacity to land etc . When WHO has declared COVID 19 a pandemic , it is a disease for which there is no cure and airports are the most fertile places to contract this pandemic. It goes without saying that going to the airport is no less than risking one’s life. I don’t think IRCC can say in near future , well you should have risked your life. The same would curtail the human rights of COPR holders and would subject them to more or less the hardships faced by asylum seekers during their journey to asylum providers. How is boarding a plane in these circumstances any different than boarding a boat? So I cannot fly in such state of affairs .

Extension of Visa

If the COPR expires , as per the instructions given on the government of Canada website , I don’t think there will be any extension . The people with expired COPRs will be required to undergo medical and maybe police verification again . A new COPR and PRV shall be issued . And yes we might have to wait again but yes, we won’t be stuck in eligibility .

I wish all of you all the best , these are my views and I could be wrong of course.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok, I will make simple for folks in the group.

One of my known tried to board the flight on COPR from Mumbai (19th march 2020), after calling Canadian embassy New delhi and having confirmation from delhi immigration stating as long as you have the valid visa as an immigrant you can travel (dated 18th March 11.30am). Additionally, the bulletin from cic websit on Covid-19 program delivery states that valid COPR and PRV are encourage to travel. (link shared below) Anyways, despite of showing the facts to Airline (Air France / KLM) denied boarding for him. They checked with the authorities and still they wouldn't let them board the flight. He also checked with duty managers of Air India, Qatar, Egypt Air and Lufthana, all had the same answer. In fact. Qatar did allow a family of 3 to board a flight on 18th early morning from Mumbai, but now they as are stuck in Doha transit and airline is bring them back to India. (as per Duty manager from Qatar Airways) and same was the case with Egypt air.

My 2 cents Airports is like a ghost town at this moment, Airlines are denying boarding so who so ever is attempting to board on COPR, based on the information shared, i doubt if they would be allowed. (I dont intend to discourage, but sharing the facts) Despite of showing email from Delhi immigration and COVID19 COPR & PRV dated 16th March, they would still not allow.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

Stay safe and good luck !
The IRCC link you are referring to stating COPR holders should travel is from BEFORE the ban was announced.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That in itself is it true. I don't live in China, South Korea, Iran or India. Your assunptionis blanket. IRCC encourages COPR o travel, howevet if one can't, inform. Technically, someone that is not in the hotbeds should try to fly. If you can't, let them know with evidence of your trial to. In my case my airline agrees to airlift. So it will be wrong to blanketly say "you doubt one would be aalowed to board an aircraft."
The link telling COPR holders to travel is from BEFORE the ban was announced.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

Dia89

Mar 16, 2020
I had a flight qith
Just got a message that British airways has cancelled my flight from Delhi to London and London to Calgary. Was supposed to fly on 23rd April. COPR expires on 1st July
Yeah the same thing just happened to me, my BA flight for 30 March from New Delhi to Toronto via London just got cancelled. Even if we want to take the risk to go, we cant :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It is a COVID-19 delivery program. Travel Ban or Restrictions in Canada is due to COVID-19 so it is also applicable here.
People are using that link to argue that they are being told COPR holders should still travel despite the ban. As that info was published BEFORE the ban was announced, it does NOT apply in light of the ban.

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
I had a flight qith

Yeah the same thing just happened to me, my BA flight for 30 March from New Delhi to Toronto via London just got cancelled. Even if we want to take the risk to go, we cant :(
I have the same flight but on 21st? Did you get an email from BA?

Mia.Ho

Jan 11, 2019
Canadian border officer is telling that they can not take care of COPR this time. The only way for non-US nationals to enter Canada is via land but they will not take care of COPR. Does anybody have update?
hey, I'm living in Canada right now and want to go flagpoling at the border. do you think i still can do it?

Thanks

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
hey, I'm living in Canada right now and want to go flagpoling at the border. do you think i still can do it?

Thanks
What is the rush? You are in Canada and please in the name of God stay inside your house for 14 days. Try to make situation easy for us by not travelling outside and getting or making someone vulnerable to Corona. As soon as situation there is improved the ban will be relaxed.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

amit.kololgi

Star Member
Oct 12, 2014
In this Thread we are trying to discuss about situations where people have expiry date in few days or a month...man you are in September...it is still far...you are safe..in case you have any information then please update us...otherwise I wouldn't worry about your situation knowing that my CoPR will expire in less than a month!!!! Come.on guys !
But it's not for me. It's for my wife. We have been married for 11 months now and living separately waiting for her spousal sponsorship to be completed. It's not about the expiry I am afraid of. I am worried about how long we still need to stay separated. I am pretty sure Canadian government will take responsibility to extend COPR's that got expired for you all. I just want to know if someone with COPR is allowed to travel or not. That's the main reason I am in this thread.

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
But my visa expires on 14th April, so only 6 days between my flight date and visa expiry :(

Not sure how much of a help will it be to postpone.

Do you think rescheduling to any date in the next 4-5 days will work? My flight's flying daily.
You are missing the point here. Rescheduling your flight will not work. Even if your airline is still flying the route, the ban is applicable at port of entry. Border is closed for non citizens and non pr.
So regardless whether you airline cancels the flight or not, you will be denied entry at the Canadian airport.

Silver lining: For all of us first time landers, the condition within Canada is less than ideal at the moment. Starting a new life for an immigrant is difficult even during normal days, imagine what it would be like during a state of emergency. No jobs, no hiring, difficulty finding accomodation, no supplies at supermarkets.
Think of the ban as something positive and temporary saving us from a potentially worse situation to be stuck in.