+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

tusa47

Mar 2, 2019
Category........
FSW
Doc's Request.
20-02-2019
Hang in there everyone! South Africans with expired COPRs have been getting passport request letters. Myself included. No EAL, no update on profile, dont't know how long the extension will be for. Just recieved a passport request letter in our account. Will send it to VAC today and see what happens.
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience.

Did you inform IRCC of your plan to settle in Canada? Or did you receive automatically the passport request letter?

rohansoni369

Jul 20, 2018
Is there anyone here whose COPR was issued after march 18, 2020 and is expired now? Is there any action that we need to do right now in order to get eligible for an extension? Please advise.

Lachelle

Sep 25, 2017
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
April 2019
AOR Received.
09-05-2019
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
February 17,2020
VISA ISSUED...
February 27,2020

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Yes, you can choose to let your visa lapse and request for an extension. However, be warned that when you raise a request for an extension you will have to demonstrate intent to settle in Canada and may have to submit documents like apartment lease, or job offer letter from Canada as part of your extension request. Read the Travelling from the US (group 4) section for more information.
Hi, Thanks for your input! Couple of questions. Is it possible to get a lease from outside Canada? Is there a deposit required? What if you don't have a job, but want to settle and look for a job?

I am just wondering how will they enforce permanent settlement?

sajay10

Aug 15, 2020

Shajitmathew

Star Member
Nov 1, 2012
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney
Is there anyone here whose COPR was issued after march 18, 2020 and is expired now? Is there any action that we need to do right now in order to get eligible for an extension? Please advise.
Hi, I am in similar boat. As far as I know, we can not do anything except to wait for them to remove restriction and provide extension. have you contacted IRCC, any update?

Reactions: Copernicus

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Hi, Thanks for your input! Couple of questions. Is it possible to get a lease from outside Canada? Is there a deposit required? What if you don't have a job, but want to settle and look for a job? I am just wondering how will they enforce permanent settlement?
-->Is it possible to get a lease from outside Canada? Is there a deposit required?
As far as I've heard, it is difficult because granting a lease almost always requires you to be inside the country, have some sort of credit history for a background check, have a Canadian bank account from which a deposit cheque can be issued, etc etc. Deposit may be 2-3 months rent.

-->What if you don't have a job, but want to settle and look for a job?
I hope IRCC understands the stupidity of this expectation. Not everyone can get a job offer from abroad, unless they're really exceptional and the company doesn't want to let them go at any cost. There's a reason why getting a job offers grants you 50 odd CRS points; it's because not everyone can do it! It becomes almost discriminatory at this point because although we have the visa, we have to do things that may be beyond our control and we have no say in how they interpret our intention. At this stage, start having serious conversations with hiring managers and others on LinkedIn and other job sites. If someone expresses an interest in your profile, maybe you can give a screenshot/email printout as supporting evidence that they might consider your profile once you land. If you have quit your job in India, attach a resignation letter PDF to show that you are unemployed and are waiting to land in Canada to job hunt.

-->I am just wondering how will they enforce permanent settlement?
They can't. But in theory they can easily deny your request for extension, so that way they don't anything to enforce (Big Brain Time).

Reactions: tusa47

slashmaybe

May 20, 2019
Hi - sorry to jump in suddenly here - I've been looking through some pages of this huge thread for some information but was not really able to find it. So just asking here:

Does anyone know of any PR applicant who received their CoPR during the months after April 2020? I was expecting my PR application to complete processing around June 16th - but two months later, and no activity on my application at all. Understandable with a GLOBAL PANDEMIC raging on - but I'd like to have a vague idea of when I can expect an outcome for my PR application.

Thanks in advance

bks1988

Jan 31, 2020
Also, it seems the reliable sources of our friends working in Canadian embassy were merely speculating as well.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi - sorry to jump in suddenly here - I've been looking through some pages of this huge thread for some information but was not really able to find it. So just asking here:

Does anyone know of any PR applicant who received their CoPR during the months after April 2020? I was expecting my PR application to complete processing around June 16th - but two months later, and no activity on my application at all. Understandable with a GLOBAL PANDEMIC raging on - but I'd like to have a vague idea of when I can expect an outcome for my PR application.

Thanks in advance
Use this tracker to get the information regarding the PR applications. Make sure to use filters as per your need.

https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/consolidated-e-apr-tracker-express-entry-permanent-residency-application

In this pandemic the processing time for everything is impacted. Don't worry be patient.

Reactions: slashmaybe

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020

Terrible news, VACs in India to remain closed till August. They donot seem to have any timelines and it is hard to believe anything they say now. Gosh, I was so excited that they were asking COPR expired to apply via webform and then the next day they drop this on us.
Opening in September eh! If this is gonna happen then how many people are willing to travel and have first hand experience of Canadian winters?

On a lighter note, I have experienced -35 degree (with wind chill) of Canadian winters and after that I don't feel cold till now. Canada has nose hair freezing weather in winters.

Last edited:

kanugln3

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Maybe it means they will eventually give us electronic authorization letters and will not need to get our passports stamped again.

Reactions: aadhi90

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Copy paste from NDVO FB page.

Posted 1 hr ago.

Canada in India (High Commission of Canada)
Please note that all VACs across India will remain closed for the month of August. The High Commission of Canada is working hard to review options for re-opening in September.
While the VACs are closed, please do not mail your passports or applications to the High Commission of Canada; they will be returned without any action taken.
All applications and passports are to be submitted through the VACs once they re-open. Please continue to follow us on social media to learn more about when the VACs will re-open.
Canadian Immigration and Citizenship