+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

rad1234

Jun 26, 2019
I saw this on the Canadian website regarding PRV and COPR. I am not sure if this means they will extend the PRV/COPR expiry. Can someone confirm?

Approved permanent residence applications (COPR and PRV)
Permanent residence applicants who are in possession of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa (PRV) and inform us, by submitting a web form to IRCC, that they are unable to travel within the validity of their documentation should be processed as follows:

• Valid COPR and PRV: In an effort to reduce the number of cancelled COPRs and PRVs, a note should be placed in the file explaining that the applicant is unable to travel, and the file should be brought forward to the expiration date of the COPR and PRV. If the applicant informs IRCC that they can travel prior to the COPR and PRV expiration, they are encouraged to use their existing COPR and PRV to land.
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they were unable to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they were unable to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
I saw this on the Canadian website regarding PRV and COPR. I am not sure if this means they will extend the PRV/COPR expiry. Can someone confirm?

Approved permanent residence applications (COPR and PRV)
Permanent residence applicants who are in possession of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa (PRV) and inform us, by submitting a web form to IRCC, that they are unable to travel within the validity of their documentation should be processed as follows:

• Valid COPR and PRV: In an effort to reduce the number of cancelled COPRs and PRVs, a note should be placed in the file explaining that the applicant is unable to travel, and the file should be brought forward to the expiration date of the COPR and PRV. If the applicant informs IRCC that they can travel prior to the COPR and PRV expiration, they are encouraged to use their existing COPR and PRV to land.
  • Expired COPR and PRV: If the applicant informs IRCC via the web form that they were unable to travel after the expiration of their COPR and PRV, or if they were unable to travel prior to expiration, officers are to re-open the application, and it should be brought forward for review in 90 days.
There will be defined process for extension. Read the next paragraphs mentioning about what to do with re opened applications. Yes, these are instructions for IRCC officers how to deal with Approved CoPRs and PRVs in this COVID19 situation which has derailed the things for everyone. They are posted here just as a courtesy from IRCC for stakeholders. Stakeholders here are us and IRCC officers any other impacted related to IRCC applications.

rad1234

Jun 26, 2019
There will be defined process for extension. Read the next paragraphs mentioning about what to do with re opened applications. Yes, these are instructions for IRCC officers how to deal with Approved CoPRs and PRVs in this COVID19 situation which has derailed the things for everyone. They are posted here just as a courtesy from IRCC for stakeholders. Stakeholders here are us and IRCC officers any other impacted related to IRCC applications.
Thanks so if they re-open the application we will need to redo medicals assuming that PRV expiry is based on medical expiry?

Jdilla

Mar 19, 2020
Hello Guys
Just a bit of context: my COPR expires March 24 and I had booked a flight for March 20th via heathrow from Lagos, Nigeria.
Was worried about expiration and timelines like everyone else here and the lack of clear concise information from IRCC.

I chased the airlines, called and spoke to CBSA, emailed IRCC, called Pearson airport and so many other things but again nothing really substantive come out of that.

my wife and I both had moments of go or not go. We had sub leased our place and sold our belongings, resigned jobs etc etc.

British airways boarded us from Lagos and gave us tickets for the London Toronto leg as well after a few clarifications.
Got to heathrow, boarded the flight to Toronto after layover and a few clarifications.
Got to Pearson and was told to see immigration, the lady that attended to us told us to have a seat and she went to check with her superiorab( I’m assuming) and 10 minutes later, she came back and said she will land us.

Seems the decision was entirely up to her and it’s almost a 50-50 chance depending on the immigration official that attends to you.

my conclusion is that I wouldn’t advise anyone to do the same after 24-48 hours.
We took a chance and got lucky but we were aware of the risks before we left and were prepared for the worst case scenario.

Hope this helps someone.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Thanks so if they re-open the application we will need to redo medicals assuming that PRV expiry is based on medical expiry?
It depends upon them cant say... medicals are valid for 1 year and PCC for 6 months. So stay safe from Corona as it may cause an un necessary delay if medicals are required.

This travel ban is not caused by us. They are aware of this and they should be on our side. Things will take their own time to come to normal.

Reactions: rad1234

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello Guys
Just a bit of context: my COPR expires March 24 and I had booked a flight for March 20th via heathrow from Lagos, Nigeria.
Was worried about expiration and timelines like everyone else here and the lack of clear concise information from IRCC.

I chased the airlines, called and spoke to CBSA, emailed IRCC, called Pearson airport and so many other things but again nothing really substantive come out of that.

my wife and I both had moments of go or not go. We had sub leased our place and sold our belongings, resigned jobs etc etc.

British airways boarded us from Lagos and gave us tickets for the London Toronto leg as well after a few clarifications.
Got to heathrow, boarded the flight to Toronto after layover and a few clarifications.
Got to Pearson and was told to see immigration, the lady that attended to us told us to have a seat and she went to check with her superiorab( I’m assuming) and 10 minutes later, she came back and said she will land us.

Seems the decision was entirely up to her and it’s almost a 50-50 chance depending on the immigration official that attends to you.

my conclusion is that I wouldn’t advise anyone to do the same after 24-48 hours.
We took a chance and got lucky but we were aware of the risks before we left and were prepared for the worst case scenario.

Hope this helps someone.
You took your chances and had a reason to go. You are brave. Not everyone would be lucky to get in like that and things could go bad too. Anyways stay safe and best wishes.

Reactions: Ksirikon

blindspot7

Sep 30, 2019
New update from IRCC.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/03/canada-provides-update-on-exemptions-to-travel-restrictions-to-protect-canadians-and-support-the-economy.html

March 20, 2020—Ottawa—The Government of Canada is providing an update on travel restrictions put in place to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Exemptions to the air travel restrictions will apply to foreign nationals who have already committed to working, studying or making Canada their home, and travel by these individuals will be considered essential travel for land border restrictions.

The exemptions include

• seasonal agricultural workers, fish/seafood workers, caregivers and all other temporary foreign workers
  • international students who held a valid study permit, or had been approved for a study permit, when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020
  • permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but who had not yet travelled to Canada
In addition, a temporary modification is being made to the Labour Market Impact Assessment process for agriculture and food processing employers, as the required 2-week recruitment period will be waived for the next 6 months.

We are also increasing the maximum allowable employment duration for workers in the low-wage stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program from 1 to 2 years. This will improve flexibility and reduce the administrative burden for employers, including those in food processing.

To safeguard the continuity of trade, commerce, health and food security for all Canadians, temporary foreign workers in agriculture, agri-food, seafood processing and other key industries will be allowed to travel to Canada under exemptions being put in place to the air travel restrictions that took effect on March 18.

In addition to health screening protocols before travel, all individuals entering from abroad must isolate for 14 days upon their arrival in Canada.

Allowing foreign workers to enter Canada recognizes their vital importance to the Canadian economy, including food safety and security for Canadians and the success of Canadian food producers. The arrival of farm workers and fish/seafood workers is essential to ensure that planting and harvesting activities can take place. There will always be jobs available for Canadians who wish to work on farms and at food processing plants.

Those affected by these exemptions should not try to travel to Canada immediately. We will announce when the exemptions are in place, which we anticipate will be early next week.

These exemptions follow others announced earlier this week, for

• foreign nationals travelling at the invitation of the Canadian government for a purpose related to the containment of COVID-19
  • close family members of Canadian citizens
  • close family members of Canadian permanent residents
  • a person who is authorized, in writing, by a consular officer of the Government of Canada to enter Canada for the purpose of reuniting immediate family members
  • a person registered as an Indian under the Indian Act
  • accredited diplomats and family members (including NATO, those under the United Nations Headquarters Agreement, other organizations)
  • air crews
  • any foreign national, or group of foreign nationals, whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, the Minister of Public Safety
  • members of the Canadian military, visiting forces and their family members
  • transiting passengers

Ali99947

Feb 24, 2019
Hello Guys

Hope this helps someone.
People are telling me that there is a chance they might relax the ban after Canadian Nationals and PRs are safely in Canada. By the way how many people were there in the CoPR category at the airport when you guys landed and went through the process?

Vandy25

Mar 20, 2020
Can anyone confirm that COPR from USA is able to travel to Canada? I am not able to get this info from any source except one person here that said earlier today that he landed in Toronto from Boston.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Reactions: Jojorabbit

Vandy25

Mar 20, 2020
New update from IRCC.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/03/canada-provides-update-on-exemptions-to-travel-restrictions-to-protect-canadians-and-support-the-economy.html

March 20, 2020—Ottawa—The Government of Canada is providing an update on travel restrictions put in place to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Exemptions to the air travel restrictions will apply to foreign nationals who have already committed to working, studying or making Canada their home, and travel by these individuals will be considered essential travel for land border restrictions.

The exemptions include

• seasonal agricultural workers, fish/seafood workers, caregivers and all other temporary foreign workers
  • international students who held a valid study permit, or had been approved for a study permit, when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020
  • permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but who had not yet travelled to Canada
In addition, a temporary modification is being made to the Labour Market Impact Assessment process for agriculture and food processing employers, as the required 2-week recruitment period will be waived for the next 6 months.

We are also increasing the maximum allowable employment duration for workers in the low-wage stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program from 1 to 2 years. This will improve flexibility and reduce the administrative burden for employers, including those in food processing.

To safeguard the continuity of trade, commerce, health and food security for all Canadians, temporary foreign workers in agriculture, agri-food, seafood processing and other key industries will be allowed to travel to Canada under exemptions being put in place to the air travel restrictions that took effect on March 18.

In addition to health screening protocols before travel, all individuals entering from abroad must isolate for 14 days upon their arrival in Canada.

Allowing foreign workers to enter Canada recognizes their vital importance to the Canadian economy, including food safety and security for Canadians and the success of Canadian food producers. The arrival of farm workers and fish/seafood workers is essential to ensure that planting and harvesting activities can take place. There will always be jobs available for Canadians who wish to work on farms and at food processing plants.

Those affected by these exemptions should not try to travel to Canada immediately. We will announce when the exemptions are in place, which we anticipate will be early next week.

These exemptions follow others announced earlier this week, for

• foreign nationals travelling at the invitation of the Canadian government for a purpose related to the containment of COVID-19
  • close family members of Canadian citizens
  • close family members of Canadian permanent residents
  • a person who is authorized, in writing, by a consular officer of the Government of Canada to enter Canada for the purpose of reuniting immediate family members
  • a person registered as an Indian under the Indian Act
  • accredited diplomats and family members (including NATO, those under the United Nations Headquarters Agreement, other organizations)
  • air crews
  • any foreign national, or group of foreign nationals, whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, the Minister of Public Safety
  • members of the Canadian military, visiting forces and their family members
  • transiting passengers
l
Yup just saw. This is great news people! Many thanks to the person that added the link here. It is just a matter of time now, look like :)

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Please be careful it is also mentioned in the Press release:

Reactions: Ali99947