+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Vandy25

Mar 20, 2020
Landed in Toronto from Boston:
  • CoPR's cannot enter Canada until June 30th from any country except the USA.
  • Only Canadians and family of Canadians/PR can enter
  • Family includes, spouse, dependent children and parents
  • If you have not travelled to any country outside of the USA and Canada in the past 14 days, you can enter Canada with a CoPR by FLIGHT ONLY.
  • Regardless of citizenship, if you're residing in USA and have not left the country or travelled abroad, you can enter Canada to confirm your CoPR by plane only.
Hey I am very new here and have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind. I am kinda in the same boat as you. I've been in USA for a few years now and have my COPR (but no green card etc). I see that you entered Canada with your COPR recently. That is great news! Did the agents at Air Canada let you in with a Passport that is not a Canadian or US passport?. They seem to be suggesting that only US Citizens can fly (apart from Canadians). Perhaps your Green card helped?
Also when in Toronto, were you asked to go into a 14 day quarantine? Im planning to get an airbnb when I get there. Would it have to be a 14-day minimum stay?

Reactions: ryeCatcher

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
For instance, if my COPR expires in May, should I just mention the "June 30th" deadline in the webform? Should I do it now?
Hard to say. There doesn't seem to be right or wrong time to raise webform request. Ideally safest time to raise extension request via webform is when there is absolutely no way one can land with CoPR before it expires and you can justify your argument with substantial and convincing data.
In my case CoPR expires on 31st March and I had my ticket for today 21st March. Because of such short gap between 16th March and flight date (5days) and CoPR expiring in 15 days I was confident in stating that it's highly unlikely ban will be taken off as early as 31st March, even if it does it's almost impossible to find another flight in such short notice given my home country travel restrictions, flights unavailability etc. Under such circumstances I am unable to travel.

I am not sure same can be confidently stated by someone with CoPR expiry in late may or June as I feel it will be too early for them (strictly personal opinion) and things can change drastically. IRCC has given a 4 line announcement on this subject so it's up to an individuals wisdom on choosing the right time. Just that your argument should be convincing when requesting extension.

Let's a say someone with CoPR expiry by May end raises webform request for visa extension now and Canada opens a week's window to travel by April end for CoPR holders then even if you plan to travel by mid May you may loose your webform option in case you are unable to travel in that window and IRCC can counter argue that you had a window and didn't travel.

It's very very subjective lol. If I start thinking there could be many scenarios. But bottom line is when you request a visa extension request it should be as convincing as possible hard for IRCC to counter argue. Although, given the extremely complex and multiple travel bans. Movement restrictions in transit countries, multiple flight cancellations and flight unavailability, people already suffering IRCC got to be considerate and lenient in giving extensions.

Reactions: aurelero

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
You can do it now or wait until 31st March. You still have time to inform them about situation. Its up to you. The only difference is that things are changing on daily basis and you will have more information to add in your webform after one week from now. Your decision.

Maybe you can mention that this is to inform you that i am not sure that when this ban will be lifted and with current situation it seems that i will not be able to travel prior to expiry of my CoPR. Could you please consider extending my CoPR? Looking forward to hearing from you.

If you have flight tickets then attach them so they will know you are planning to travel. If you don't have booked your flight then mention that you were planning to do so.

Don't copy exact words but i guess you got the feeling what needs to be mentioned in webform.
Just wanted to add, from my 3+ years knowing IRCC when you raise a request with them be very convincing and must attach documentary proofs without loopholes.

Reactions: aurelero

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Just wanted to add, from my 3+ years knowing IRCC when you raise a request with them be very convincing and must attach documentary proofs without loopholes.
Yeah i know but this is COVID19 situation, we don't need to convince them too much as there is a travel ban in place and they are aware of it. IRCC is instructing us to tell them and are not asking us to convince them. They want to differentiate between cancelled CoPRs and CoPRs which need extensions. They will tag application based on the fact if you are not able to travel.

"In an effort to reduce the number of cancelled COPRs and PRVs, a note should be placed in the file explaining that the applicant is unable to travel, and the file should be brought forward to the expiration date of the COPR and PVR"

The review time for extension of CoPR will start from the day when current CoPR will expire. Who knows thing will improve by mid April and some of us might travel with over current CoPRs. I am crossing fingers of my feet too.

In short if you need extension tell them and if you are good to travel (after travel ban lifts up) tell them again so that they can start the process of CoPR extension.

Raj chandigarh

Jul 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
sep 2010
AOR Received.
jan 2011
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
jan 11
Med's Request
june 2012
Med's Done....
20 June ecas line appeared on 12/july
Interview........
hope not
Passport Req..
june 2012
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 31/8/12 visa issued on 28th aug 2012

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
To help process the applications:

Due to the volume of cases, the International Network’s applications are being tracked by the Operations Planning and Performance Branch (OPPB).

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Is it possible for H1b visa holders to enter US from Canada?
Its a good question to the extent of my understanding there is no travel restrictions for H1 holders flying from non travel ban countries. I have a friend who flew back from India 2 days ago, no problems. But its hard to find the actual ground reality as of today. I saw a clip online (can't locate it now) of Mike Pompeo today saying that "visa holders can cross from both Mexico and Canada border".

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
For information only!

High Commission of India Travel Advisory:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/canada-in-india-high-commission-of-canada/travel-and-visa-advisory-covid-19/3087838001268813/

It mentions:

Confirmation of Permanent Resident Document
If you have been issued a Confirmation of Permanent Resident (COPR) document and you have not yet travelled to Canada and had your landing interview, you are still a foreign national. If your counterfoil expires prior to the travel restrictions being lifted, you do not need to email us as you will receive communication from our office on the next steps to be taken once full service resumes.

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
Its a good question to the extent of my understanding there is no travel restrictions for H1 holders flying from non travel ban countries. I have a friend who flew back from India 2 days ago, no problems. But its hard to find the actual ground reality as of today. I saw a clip online (can't locate it now) of Mike Pompeo today saying that "visa holders can cross from both Mexico and Canada border".
OK, but what about possibility to leave Canada?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
OK, but what about possibility to leave Canada?
To the best of my understanding there is no restriction preventing travel (by flight) from Canada -> US, as long as you have a valid visa (any visa). For land border the answer is less clear, but it seems (based on a clip I saw online of today's press conference) that "work visa holders can cross into US from Canada and Mexico".

If you mean will CBSA stop you from leaving Canada, I don't know but I doubt it.

Reactions: niko80

Roger Heeralal

Mar 18, 2020
Guys, you wont lose your Visa or CoPr if you contact the IRCC...you are contacting them for information, for additional inquiries....
Do you wanna wait until the day of your flght and then you raise a webform, cancel flights and so on ?
My flight is on 31March , everyone I called says that CoPr wont be allowed....some poeple here says that they will be allowed !
we need a concrete information guys!
If anyone is sure from his sources then welcome!
Does nayone read what was annouced on 16th march? only citizens and PR people are alowed now!?
Are we considered PR people??????? thats a big quetsion now!
No COPR allowedxbuddy