+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

RT8

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
Hypothetically, if I fly to US on visit visa, stay at a hotel for 14 days, and then fly to Canada on CoPR, that should technically work
I'm assuming you say this on the basis of this order -
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en

This would work , wouldn't it?? Considering your country has no ban on flying out and the US airports are also open to you, you can stay there for 14 days or more and then fly to Canada and complete the PR process. @wick_sran @Ethan07 @Islander216 what do you guys think?

Also @wick_sran , I've been reading and I'd wait awhile to raise a webform. You, like me, have time, I know the order states June 30th but I THINK this is something that might change if the situation improves. If till April end-ish it hasn't , then raise a webform. I truly believe we'll hear more from them after 15-20 days, the situation is just too much for them to handle right now , let alone consider potential PR's.(This does suck for us, but it is what it is)

SARA KHAN

Star Member
Jul 10, 2014
Canada
Landed in Toronto from Boston:
  • CoPR's cannot enter Canada until June 30th from any country except the USA.
  • Only Canadians and family of Canadians/PR can enter
  • Family includes, spouse, dependent children and parents
  • If you have not travelled to any country outside of the USA and Canada in the past 14 days, you can enter Canada with a CoPR by FLIGHT ONLY.
  • Regardless of citizenship, if you're residing in USA and have not left the country or travelled abroad, you can enter Canada to confirm your CoPR by plane only.
Which category did you fall under. I mean immediate family of canadian citizen or PR?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Landed in Toronto from Boston:
  • CoPR's cannot enter Canada until June 30th from any country except the USA.
  • Only Canadians and family of Canadians/PR can enter
  • Family includes, spouse, dependent children and parents
  • If you have not travelled to any country outside of the USA and Canada in the past 14 days, you can enter Canada with a CoPR by FLIGHT ONLY.
  • Regardless of citizenship, if you're residing in USA and have not left the country or travelled abroad, you can enter Canada to confirm your CoPR by plane only.
Bro this is great information, thank you so much!
So just to confirm you are not a US citizen and were able to fly to Toronto from the US?
They processed COPR at the airport?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I'm assuming you say this on the basis of this order -
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en

This would work , wouldn't it?? Considering your country has no ban on flying out and the US airports are also open to you, you can stay there for 14 days or more and then fly to Canada and complete the PR process. @wick_sran @Ethan07 @Islander216 what do you guys think?
Hmmm, technically it should work, if we go by what they have indicated and by first person accounts.

However, i do believe the U.S currently has a travel ban in place, so you would have to wait for that to end first then, travel there, arrange accommodation and stay there for two weeks, then make the trip to Canada.

Now, you'd still need an ESTA authorisation to enter the U.S if you have a passport from a visa waiver program country or you'd need a visa if you're not.

How long do you think that will take under the current circumstances? Both are probably suspended.

In practice, it's very difficult to make work.

IRCC probably know many COPR holders are foreign national in the U.S, this is their way of giving them a way to land., to reduce the backlog they will have in the future of COPR holders who could not land due to the travel ban. For the rest of us, it's very difficult to make this work.

Jojorabbit

Mar 19, 2020
If they don't allow to COPRs land till July ,there will be 60-90k of people who was left by Canadian government without any effort to help and and under circumstances that may put in risk all those families. Most of us already left everything behind. Such acts are irresponsible. As a result there would be thousands of lawsuits against and risk to lose hundreds millions of dollars (all the money from Canadian taxpayers). Everything will be fine. Again no one knows nothing. Changes are applied every single day. Just follow instructions from IRCC and wait. Stop panic. Everyone!!!!!

Reactions: aurelero

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
So i just got a response from my VO to my e-mail about whether i can land as as a COPR holder with the travel restrictions in Canada, and it just directed me to the special measures in place page: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

So they don't want to confirm or deny.

Anyhow, i'm going to send the webform tomorrow with the details of my ticket of my flight i couldn't board, and tell them that the duration of the travel ban exceeds the expiry date of my documents.

I did everything i was supposed to do, the ball is in their court now.

J

ryan1990

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Awesome!
Do you plan to come back to the US? Are they allowing those with valid visas to fly back to the US, that is also unclear in current situation
I have a green card, so getting in won't be a problem. However, I was asked to isolate for 14 days and I'm going to adhere to that.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
So i just got a response from my VO to my e-mail about whether i can land as as a COPR holder with the travel restrictions in Canada, and it just directed me to the special measures in place page: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

So they don't want to confirm or deny.

Anyhow, i'm going to send the webform tomorrow with the details of my ticket of my flight i couldn't board, and tell them that the duration of the travel ban exceeds the expiry date of my documents.

I did everything i was supposed to do, the ball is in their court now.

J
This sounds like the right thing to do.
I am sure they will come back with right next steps (eventually), do keep us posted.