+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Fmegha86

Mar 8, 2017
my husband's copr expired on 5th july 2020 and as we had emailed ircc a month back they had confirmed that they have received our request regarding reissuance of visa and once the visa expires we should consult Delhi immigration for same. so nopw after asking them again the following was the reply from Delhi immigration

Thank you for your email to the Migration Section of the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

Limited Operations in India

The Migration Section at the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi will be limiting its operations until further notice. The Migration Sections at the Consulate in Bangalore and the Consulate in Chandigarh are closed until further notice.

If your application for permanent residence was approved on or before March 18, 2020, but you have not travelled to Canada yet, you’re exempt from the travel restriction measures. Eligible travellers do not require additional permission letters.

If your counterfoil expires prior to commercial flights becoming available, you do not need to e-mail IRCC as you will receive communication from our office on the next steps to be taken once full-service resumes.

For up to date information regarding IRCCs response to COVID-19 follow us on facebook.

We trust that this information will be of assistance.

it seems that now its an endless game where you cant travel as international flights are not operation yet and even if these become operational, he will not be able to travel as his copr has expired and there is no guidance as in when the visa will be re issued

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
my husband's copr expired on 5th july 2020 and as we had emailed ircc a month back they had confirmed that they have received our request regarding reissuance of visa and once the visa expires we should consult Delhi immigration for same. so nopw after asking them again the following was the reply from Delhi immigration

Thank you for your email to the Migration Section of the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

The Migration Section at the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi will be limiting its operations until further notice. The Migration Sections at the Consulate in Bangalore and the Consulate in Chandigarh are closed until further notice.

If your application for permanent residence was approved on or before March 18, 2020, but you have not travelled to Canada yet, you’re exempt from the travel restriction measures. Eligible travellers do not require additional permission letters.

If your counterfoil expires prior to commercial flights becoming available, you do not need to e-mail IRCC as you will receive communication from our office on the next steps to be taken once full-service resumes.

For up to date information regarding IRCCs response to COVID-19 follow us on facebook.

it seems that now its an endless game where you cant travel as international flights are not operation yet and even if these become operational, he will not be able to travel as his copr has expired and there is no guidance as in when the visa will be re issued
Looks promising.

nt13

Sep 1, 2017

For someone who still has validity on CoPR, what does the 3rd paragraph mean?
If counterfoil is valid say until end of August, and commercial flights become available (hypothetically) by mid of August, do they (IRCC) expect us to book and board a flight anyhow? And leave home country in less than 2 weeks? Is that what is expected here?

I understand this is crazy and unlikely, however the paraphrasing of the response is ambiguous.

Can't understand the suspense here, on what on earth could be the next steps, if someone is wanting to apply for / forced to apply for extensions !!

Thoughts, anyone ?? @whyCorona @Canaspirant xyz

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
I agree with the second paragraph and can’t stress it enough.

I have a story to share. I don’t want to spread panic in this thread, but you should hear this. Back in March, after the ban was announced, I got a reply from my VO saying that my COPR wouldn’t be extended because I had had “more than enough time to land“. Of course, it might have been a mistake on their part due to the nature of the events that were rapidly unfolding at the time, but once I got this email I was in utter shock. How come, IRCC being so unfair! I stayed up all night, luckily managed to book my 4th ticket to Canada (all the others had been cancelled or were scheduled for after the ban was coming into effect), urgently skipped work - and landed in Canada about 36hrs later.

My point is, if you can land now - do travel. If you can’t, then in the best case scenario IRCC will re-issue your CoPR. However, I wouldn’t take all this for granted... be wiser than this. Again, this was only my experience, but you never know what IRCC might do in any particular case.

All depends on your personal situation and priorities, but my No.1 priority at that time was my immigration. I wasn’t worried about money or my job, but that I might lose a unique opportunity to make Canada my new home .

P.S. After the email above I submitted two more webforms to IRCC. The replies now said I should get in touch again “when the situation stabilizes”. Nothing promising me a new CoPR, but not a blank rejection either.

Hope everyone in this thread reaches Canada sooner or later. Keep monitoring those flights, and, I repeat, don’t take anything for granted.
You did the smart thing.

Captain789

May 27, 2018

I have a story to share. I don’t want to spread panic in this thread, but you should hear this. Back in March, after the ban was announced, I got a reply from my VO saying that my COPR wouldn’t be extended because I had had “more than enough time to land“. Of course, it might have been a mistake on their part due to the nature of the events that were rapidly unfolding at the time, but once I got this email I was in utter shock. How come, IRCC being so unfair! I stayed up all night, luckily managed to book my 4th ticket to Canada (all the others had been cancelled or were scheduled for after the ban was coming into effect), urgently skipped work - and landed in Canada about 36hrs later.

My point is, if you can land now - do travel. If you can’t, then in the best case scenario IRCC will re-issue your CoPR. However, I wouldn’t take all this for granted... be wiser than this. Again, this was only my experience, but you never know what IRCC might do in any particular case.

All depends on your personal situation and priorities, but my No.1 priority at that time was my immigration. I wasn’t worried about money or my job, but that I might lose a unique opportunity to make Canada my new home .

P.S. After the email above I submitted two more webforms to IRCC. The replies now said I should get in touch again “when the situation stabilizes”. Nothing promising me a new CoPR, but not a blank rejection either.

Hope everyone in this thread reaches Canada sooner or later. Keep monitoring those flights, and, I repeat, don’t take anything for granted.
Thank you for sharing it.

Yes, I totally agree if you can travel now - do it. No matter how difficult it can be, it is better to do it now. Plus, do expect the second wave in the autumn. No-one knows what happens with the borders then.

Besides with the employment crisis in Canada as well, EE terms can be revised.

Will someone grant extra points for the expired Ielts? or the age for people who are still in the pull? I don't think so.

Reactions: pkhare23

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Lufthansa has special repatriation flights from from July 7th - 22nd in Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.

According to their website,

As per the approval given to Lufthansa by the Director General of Civil Aviation, only the following persons shall be allowed to travel on the special repatriation fights. Kindly ensure that you fulfil one of the below listed criterias to be accepted on the flight:

• All German and EU Nationals
  • All German and EU Residents
  • All other Foreign Nationals transiting through a Lufthansa Hub, Frankfurt or Munich and/ or the spouse/ children of such persons whether accompanying or otherwise
  • INDIAN Nationals holding US green cards or Canadian Permanent Residence status are only permitted on this special repatriation flight if he/she is a spouse of US/Canadian National

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Hi Guys. I have couple of questions regarding car paperwork if moved to Canada from U.S

I'm planning to move to Canada in 2 weeks from now from U.S. This would be my first time with the COPR, so I'm assuming I can take my car via Detroit-Windsor bridge?
  • For the car, do I need to carry anything else apart from car title document, and declaration of car in GTA form?
  • Just want to make sure that it's allowed to drive in Canada with a car with U.S registration and title?
  • And is this a temporary allowance and would I have to change my car registration to Canada after moving?
Your US driving license, proper insurance and registration papers are all you need to be able to drive in Canada. I am unsure for how long is this continuously allowed but 30 days is the minimum allowed. And for Canadian cars its the same in USA. All provinces in Canada.

For the permanent conversion (i.e. Canadian registration and plates) please refer to Landing in Canada type pages, as commented by others. Some differences might exist in the modalities - e.g. some states in US do not need 'day-time-running-lights' while its mandatory in Canada. Depending on your car model that might need a certified mechanic to convert and / or certify. Other differences by the province may be needed. Suggest refering to Provicial Motorvehicles website. For Ontario it is:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/driving-and-roads

Last edited:

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
For someone who still has validity on CoPR, what does the 3rd paragraph mean?
If counterfoil is valid say until end of August, and commercial flights become available (hypothetically) by mid of August, do they (IRCC) expect us to book and board a flight anyhow? And leave home country in less than 2 weeks? Is that what is expected here?

I understand this is crazy and unlikely, however the paraphrasing of the response is ambiguous.

Can't understand the suspense here, on what on earth could be the next steps, if someone is wanting to apply for / forced to apply for extensions !!

Thoughts, anyone ?? @whyCorona @Canaspirant xyz
Its an assurance from High Commission of Canada in India that they will get in touch with expired CoPR holders once international flights are resumed. You need to set a date for yourself where you feel confident in raising the webform that you will not be able to travel to Canada within your CoPR validity. You can raise webform maybe a month or 15 days prior to your CoPR expiry date. Just try your best with keeping in mind the effort required for settling things in India and relocating to Canada.

Mutha123

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019

Hi,

My COPR expires by mid of Nov '2020 and hope to book ticket once AI operates more flights to Toronto. Even now I have an option to travel via US through VB flights in July but since I have already booked a ticket in March to Toronto, cannot change the route now. Hence, I thought to wait until this month end and proceed any option that would be available at that point.

My COPR was approved in Nov '2019 (after re-medical) and I got an year validity but by the time I was about to fly (26th March), India announced lockdown.

Any advise please?

Thanks

Thanks

Reactions: Uncle_Iroh

nt13

Sep 1, 2017
These questions may have been asked earlier, however would like to seek views of people. Regret any inconveniences here.

1. Anyone who's raised Webform for "Unable or Unwilling to travel" - has anyone mentioned dates / period as to how long you would be "Unable or Unwilling to travel" in the Webform? Is that requried ?

2. Any idea on timelines for maximum extension possible - 3 month / 6 months ?? It can't be indefinite logically, but the available information only says about 2 Webforms to be raised. Nothing on how long do I have before I raise a second Webform - informing IRCC about my ability / willingness to travel. Has anyone received any particular responses on these after raising webforms?

Any responses, appreciated.

TIA !!

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
These questions may have been asked earlier, however would like to seek views of people. Regret any inconveniences here.

1. Anyone who's raised Webform for "Unable or Unwilling to travel" - has anyone mentioned dates / period as to how long you would be "Unable or Unwilling to travel" in the Webform? Is that requried ?

2. Any idea on timelines for maximum extension possible - 3 month / 6 months ?? It can't be indefinite logically, but the available information only says about 2 Webforms to be raised. Nothing on how long do I have before I raise a second Webform - informing IRCC about my ability / willingness to travel. Has anyone received any particular responses on these after raising webforms?

Any responses, appreciated.

TIA !!
1. No one who has raised the webform for "Unable or unwilling to travel" has mentioned any dates or for that matter duration for which they won't be able to travel.
2. The validity of extension will depend on LVO who stamped your COPR and Visa. There was only one case where VO directly extended the COPR validity by 10 months. I believe it was ACCRA VO.
3. As for how long you have to wait before raising the second webform the answer is 60 Days as per IRCC.

Reference Link (reopened applications)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

Reactions: nt13

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Lufthansa has special repatriation flights from from July 7th - 22nd in Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.

According to their website,

As per the approval given to Lufthansa by the Director General of Civil Aviation, only the following persons shall be allowed to travel on the special repatriation fights. Kindly ensure that you fulfil one of the below listed criterias to be accepted on the flight:

• All German and EU Nationals
  • All German and EU Residents
  • All other Foreign Nationals transiting through a Lufthansa Hub, Frankfurt or Munich and/ or the spouse/ children of such persons whether accompanying or otherwise
  • INDIAN Nationals holding US green cards or Canadian Permanent Residence status are only permitted on this special repatriation flight if he/she is a spouse of US/Canadian National
This is good news it looks like travel bubbles are taking shape. We can't book these flights it seems or should we call and ask ?

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Hi,

My COPR expires by mid of Nov '2020 and hope to book ticket once AI operates more flights to Toronto. Even now I have an option to travel via US through VB flights in July but since I have already booked a ticket in March to Toronto, cannot change the route now. Hence, I thought to wait until this month end and proceed any option that would be available at that point.

My COPR was approved in Nov '2019 (after re-medical) and I got an year validity but by the time I was about to fly (26th March), India announced lockdown.

Any advise please?

Thanks

Thanks
The ticket you had booked in March can be rescheduled if yes do it or else get coupons and use the same to book different flight to Toronto if it is with AI. Otherwise I would recommend wait till this weekend to see how many chartered flights will be available and then start looking for flight tickets on those.

bun_b

Oct 30, 2019
This is good news it looks like travel bubbles are taking shape. We can't book these flights it seems or should we call and ask ?
Maybe one should call and ask... because the third point says all other nationals transiting? Maybe copr would be considered?