Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
And it also depends on which airline you take. I don't think airline employees will likely to know the details of all nation's border policy. A visa is all they know almost of the time.
Yup, but we cannot assume that the airline agent we see will not check, we just have to be prepared as per the rules.

Jiyva

Star Member
Oct 20, 2019
Hi Everyone!

My PPR date is March 12th 2020
FInal decision date is May 6th 2020
I got my COPR delivered to me on May 13th 2020.

I'm currently in USA and need to travel to Canada before June 15th.
I called IRCC to ask if I can travel and they say that my application approval date is March 12th 2020 actually and I should be fine to travel (given anyone with approval dates before march 18th is allowed to travel).

My questions is - is PPR and approval date the same? (found this link also https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/procedures-finalizing-approved-applications.html)

Anyone in same situation and did travel to Canada recently? What proof did you use to show your date of approval?
Thanks!
I think it might be a good idea to create a thread about it. You can post both pieces of evidence 1) your call with IRCC agent and 2) the information about approval and PPV from the link you gave.

raxx.cater

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-05-2019
Doc's Request.
08-01-2020
AOR Received.
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
24-05-2019
Passport Req..
04-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
LANDED..........
14-05-2020
It all comes down to how CBSA staffs determine the "approval date". The airline side is a minor issue, I think.
Just an update, I was looking at my CIC account, under the final decision area, it says the application approval date. Following is sample from my case:

Final decision
  • February 10, 2020 Your application was approved. Check your messages below for details.

My COPR issued date was Feb-07/2020.

Reactions: jsidhu1

Jiyva

Star Member
Oct 20, 2019
Just an update, I was looking at my CIC account, under the final decision area, it says the application approval date. Following is sample from my case:

Final decision
  • February 10, 2020 Your application was approved. Check your messages below for details.

My COPR issued date was Feb-07/2020.
We all have that. The interesting part of your post is that the CIC website has a approval date later than your COPR issuance date. That confirms my speculation that the CIC website has some sort of delay and its primary purpose is to make applicant's "feel better". In other words, it has serious delay when it comes to information update.

Reactions: raxx.cater

legionnaire

Sep 21, 2019
Hello team, I'm looking for a friendly advice, please.

I have a really tough situation at hand - my PR application was recently approved, I have the COPR but unfortunately it happened after 18th of March when the travel restrictions came in place and therefore I can't travel to Canada to land.

However, I still have a valid work permit (until mid June) and a job offer, which technically makes me exempt from travel restrictions, providing I have a good self-isolation plan (which I do - private suite, groceries delivered to home by friend...).

As the flight prices after June seem to be going up and my work permit is expired... Would you recommend flying ASAP and then doing the telephone landing once inland (as currently that's the way they do PR landing)?

Did anyone have a similar situation where the work permit was expiring soon but they were allowed to travel?

Thank you kindly and apologies for the long post.Stay safe all

Last edited:

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada

I have a really tough situation at hand - my PR application was recently approved, I have the COPR but unfortunately it happened after 18th of March when the travel restrictions came in place and therefore I can't travel to Canada to land.

However, I still have a valid work permit (until mid June) and a job offer, which technically makes me exempt from travel restrictions, providing I have a good self-isolation plan (which I do - private suite, groceries delivered to home by friend...).

As the flight prices after June seem to be going up and my work permit is expired... Would you recommend flying ASAP and then doing the telephone landing once inland (as currently that's the way they do PR landing)?

Did anyone have a similar situation where the work permit was expiring soon but they were allowed to travel?

If you are landing to validate your CoPR, in that case they will consider that your landing is done on your PRV and NOT your work permit. An entry on existing work permit would not allow your processing of PR.
Hence the approval date on your COPR/PRV is what matters if you intend to land in Canada as a PR

legionnaire

Sep 21, 2019
If you are landing to validate your CoPR, in that case they will consider that your landing is done on your PRV and NOT your work permit. An entry on existing work permit would not allow your processing of PR.
Hence the approval date on your COPR/PRV is what matters if you intend to land in Canada as a PR
the thing is that I'm actually from a visa-exempt country, so I don't have a PRV. I've seen posts from people on this forum who were in Canada on their work permits and got telephone landing appointments as PRs. could you please elaborate why the entry on existing work permit wouldn't allow processing of PR? thank you for your input :)

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada

Hi,

Unless I am missing something, if you are flying in to Canada, you will do your landing formalities at the POE i.e. at the airport you land first. Correct?

Why would you then need to do telephone landing? That route of completing landing confirmation is for inland applicants, only.

legionnaire

Sep 21, 2019
Hi,

Unless I am missing something, if you are flying in to Canada, you will do your landing formalities at the POE i.e. at the airport you land first. Correct?

Why would you then need to do telephone landing? That route of completing landing confirmation is for inland applicants, only.
Hello hinavin, my PR was approved after March 18th when the travel restrictions came in place - only the PRs approved before March 18th are exempt from travel restrictions, whereas TFW visas are exempt anyhow, providing other conditions are met.

It's really a tricky one so I'm trying to figure out the best course of action as my case is a bit specific, I'm able to get in the country with my TFW visa and telephone landing seems to be the current way-to-go for inland applicants due to COVID situation, I'm just not sure if it's all "by the book" in my case as I wasn't an inland applicant. Naturally, I wouldn't want to jeopardize the PR in any way.

Many thanks for your comment :)

saad_im

Jan 27, 2019
Canada
the thing is that I'm actually from a visa-exempt country, so I don't have a PRV. I've seen posts from people on this forum who were in Canada on their work permits and got telephone landing appointments as PRs. could you please elaborate why the entry on existing work permit wouldn't allow processing of PR? thank you for your input :)
Theoretically yes, your plan could work. If you are from a visa exempt country, you enter on your work permit (under exemption), and then complete landing formalities from within the country.
But, the issue still remains that in the immigration system, it might not show you as an inland applicant. So it may or may not work.

legionnaire

Sep 21, 2019
Theoretically yes, your plan could work. If you are from a visa exempt country, you enter on your work permit (under exemption), and then complete landing formalities from within the country.
But, the issue still remains that in the immigration system, it might not show you as an inland applicant. So it may or may not work.
thank you saad, so let's say they don't allow me to do the inland telephone landing - I can still request an extension of my stay, even if just as a visitor - and stay in the country under the implied status? this would be processed for at least 2 months I believe, if not more - by what time they might allow landing at POE for COPR after March 18 and flagpoling...your input is much appreciated :)

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
thank you saad, so let's say they don't allow me to do the inland telephone landing - I can still request an extension of my stay, even if just as a visitor - and stay in the country under the implied status? this would be processed for at least 2 months I believe, if not more - by what time they might allow landing at POE for COPR after March 18 and flagpoling...your input is much appreciated :)
Why don't you call IRCC and clarify it instead of taking a risk? Current travel ban is up to June 30 if I am not wrong. It may or may not extend as we are living in uncertain time these days.

whyCorona

Champion Member
Mar 17, 2020
Only thing which is doubtful here is your application is processed as an Outland (correct me if i am wrong) and you are asking to get CoPR extension as an Inland. Don't know if this is acceptable by IRCC. This is tricky case My Lord!