+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Hey Welluf, Congrats!! That was very quick! Even less than the 180 days recommended by the CIC website.
Vancouver airport maybe is way better and faster.
What did your GC key account show before the update? Mine shows 'submitted' - "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made."; did you have that?
Very well done!!
Hi Tom,

Yes that was quick and unexpected. I received an email in my personal email earlier last week informing me that there was an update in my account. Logged in and did not see any change-we call it "ghost update". Few days later I received another email in my personal email, logged in and saw "application approved" under current status. Clicked on my application and under "document status" was were the PR card details was and a message that they'd mailed my card.

Mine showed "submitted ' - "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made" until the 13th when it changed to "approved' -"Your application was approved. Check your messages below for details."

I assumed PR cards were issued in Nova Scotia. Makes me wonder if it is done in the big cities(e.g. Vancouver) as well.

Reactions: tomx420

Titanium

Mar 9, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
October 2019
Congrats Titanium!
Did you do a soft landing? Officer at the customs told me to show the goods to follow when I move permanently and when I have a shipping manifest from the shipping company. Interested to know if you got a different advice.
Hi there.
The officer advised us to keep the stamped document safely and whenever the items arrive, to show it at the shipping/customs where rhe arrived items will be struck off the list. So more or less the same advice.

Titanium

Mar 9, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
October 2019
Hi Tom,

Yes that was quick and unexpected. I received an email in my personal email earlier last week informing me that there was an update in my account. Logged in and did not see any change-we call it "ghost update". Few days later I received another email in my personal email, logged in and saw "application approved" under current status. Clicked on my application and under "document status" was were the PR card details was and a message that they'd mailed my card.

Mine showed "submitted ' - "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made" until the 13th when it changed to "approved' -"Your application was approved. Check your messages below for details."

I assumed PR cards were issued in Nova Scotia. Makes me wonder if it is done in the big cities(e.g. Vancouver) as well.
Interesting, so you never got the approved status in your gc key before now. Were the copr counterfoils updated in your account?

I have a similar message in my gc key where it only states ‘ submitted ' - "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made"

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Interesting, so you never got the approved status in your gc key before now. Were the copr counterfoils updated in your account?

I have a similar message in my gc key where it only states ‘ submitted ' - "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made"
The COPR was updated on the 29th of March with "your document has expired". I wasn't surprised as it was the date of expiry hence why I landed a few days before

Yes. My account showed submitted and then approved a few days ago. There was nothing in between

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Hi there.
The officer advised us to keep the stamped document safely and whenever the items arrive, to show it at the shipping/customs where rhe arrived items will be struck off the list. So more or less the same advice.
Same thing I was told. They gave me a stamped copy and kept their own copy Just like with COPR

Have you finally relocated or you did soft landing?

tomx420

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
Hi Tom,

Ah okay....cool. My status is "submitted". The CBSA officer at Toronto airport said it would take about 4months to get the PR card and to hold on to the CoPR copy till then.
Didn’t know they were processed at Nova Scotia. You must be very lucky to get it so quick......

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Ah okay....cool. My status is "submitted". The CBSA officer at Toronto airport said it would take about 4months to get the PR card and to hold on to the CoPR copy till then.
Didn’t know they were processed at Nova Scotia. You must be very lucky to get it so quick......
Hey Tom

Regardless, do not get rid of your COPR even after you get your PR card. You will need it to apply for some benefits as you age. I hear it is even required if you need to apply for citizenship

You know you will need to file taxes in Canada now that you are a PR regardless of where you are located? Assuming you are still in Australia during Canadian tax time. That's one of the reasons I got my SIN before I left

tomx420

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
Hi there.
Yea similar advice......I was told that they would stamp it only after we relocate permanently and when we have the items on the ship.

Did you move permanently or soft landing?

@Welluf2019, next big question for me is when to move! Finding it hard to leave Aus; the climate here is so good! I have been trying to weigh the pros and cons. Have you decided when the big move day is?

Welluf2019

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Yea similar advice......I was told that they would stamp it only after we relocate permanently and when we have the items on the ship.

@Welluf2019, next big question for me is when to move! Finding it hard to leave Aus; the climate here is so good! I have been trying to weigh the pros and cons. Have you decided when the big move day is?
Lol I feel you. Plus the disorganised system kinda put me off relocating sooner. I have been looking at houses in Mississauga but I haven't decided yet. I wore winter jacket everyday in Vancouver. I missed Australia weather......things we take for granted

I am looking for roles that will at least pay me close to what I earn now

Last edited:
  • Love

tomx420

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
Hey Tom

Regardless, do not get rid of your COPR even after you get your PR card. You will need it to apply for some benefits as you age. I hear it is even required if you need to apply for citizenship

You know you will need to file taxes in Canada now that you are a PR regardless of where you are located? Assuming you are still in Australia during Canadian tax time
Oh really!! Didn’t know that....... have to find out how to file taxes; I don’t even know when their tax time is!! lol
Yes I'm back in Aus and pondering when to make the move. I heard you could also claim benefits like child care, while still living in Aus. But not sure.......

Titanium

Mar 9, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
October 2019

Same thing I was told. They gave me a stamped copy and kept their own copy Just like with COPR

Have you finally relocated or you did soft landing?
Did a soft landing at this time and waiting for the pr cards. Planning the actual move now. Not easy when you think of it. Theres pros and cons everywhere, need to find the right balance.
But All in good time.

Titanium

Mar 9, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
October 2019
Oh really!! Didn’t know that....... have to find out how to file taxes; I don’t even know when their tax time is!! lol
Yes I'm back in Aus and pondering when to make the move. I heard you could also claim benefits like child care, while still living in Aus. But not sure.......
True need to check on the tax bit in detail.
If you had received the welcome pack there is a flyer that mentions a few of the benefits and how to go about it.

Titanium

Mar 9, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
October 2019
Hey Tom

You know you will need to file taxes in Canada now that you are a PR regardless of where you are located? Assuming you are still in Australia during Canadian tax time. That's one of the reasons I got my SIN before I left
when we processed our SIN, the officer told us to keep the copr very safely, because it might be required for citizenship, or even at retirement etc.

Also advised not to laminate it or anything. Just maintain as is.

Ecast

Feb 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

I've been a silent participant of this forum since it was created, have been readying a lot of the posts and it seems most of us where in the same situation at one time or another. After a lot of waiting I finally landed in Canada and would like to share my story with all of you.

My first COPR was issues back in February of 2020, I didn't have time to get everything together and make the move before the pandemic hit and everything closed, COPR expired in June of 2020, I was not given a lot of time from issuing of COPR to expiration. Submitted a webform for extension, did not hear from anyone for almost a year, in June of 2021 I was asked for a medical exam again and to resubmit my passport, did all of that and new COPR was issued within two weeks of submitting passport.

Since COVID cases were still rising in the USA and Canada at that time, I decided to not travel until it was safer to do so, finally made the trip this year, May 2022! I drove from the USA to Canada and landed in Alberta, process was easy and immigration agents made me feel welcome and got to talked to them about just random stuff, completely different experience from when my family and I immigrated to the USA, I was at the border maybe 30 minutes total, I was asked a few questions and for my address in Canada to where they'll be sending my PR card. Was asked for a list of items and had a nice conversation with the border agent that was helping me with that. Since I was importing a car the process was a bit longer, but 30 minutes is not bad.

Once I was done they wished me good luck and I drove to my apartment. I was a bit nervous throughout the whole process, but the border agents did made me feel a lot better.

I was able to exchange my US driver's license for a Canadian one, process was simple, took about 15 minutes and received my license in the mail within a week. Getting my SIN was also pretty simple, was given to me within the same day and it's just a sheet of paper with your personal information, no card will be send to you.

Also, I was able linked my PR card application (Was submitted y the border agent) with my PR application account to be able to track the process of my PR card. I know it's a lot, but hopefully this helps someone and if any of you have any questions please feel free to reach out.

Thank you!

vSach

Nov 6, 2021
Hey everyone. I received my Copr and visa today on 23 rd May 2022. Have you guys made use of Pre-arrival services of Canada such as niconline.ca or planningforcanada.ca