+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

timchi

Mar 24, 2020
Hello again, how will I see the remedical request? In my application messages or account messages?

people who got remedicals — did you also get an email?

Hi there. Just like before you will get a notification on your registered email of a new message in your profile.

keisersausey

Jul 14, 2020
No, you are not exempt from travel restrictions. To travel to Canada, you will need either an authorisation to travel us you have an immediate family member or extended family member is Canada, or you will have to apply for a work permit.

You cannot travel to Canada on your COPR even if you have a job offer.
I received some vague answer from the my local Canadian Immigration Department here in Sydney, and yeah they recommend going through a work permit if I have a work contract (saying they are not expert regarding the land crossing conditions from US).
But here's my question @legalfalcon : isn't it a little contradictory to apply for a work permit when you intend to stay permanently in Canada ?
Because I can see that one of the criteria for the work permit is:
"prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires "...
And my work contract does not have an end date of course (as I remain a permanent employee), so I am unsure whether I can obtain one...

$R27

Star Member
Nov 2, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi Visa Office
App. Filed.......
11 October 2019
Hello everyone,

I finally received my new PPR after a long time ,I am a PRE Mach COPR holder and VO is New Delhi.

They have asked me to submit passport in 30 days but VFS is closed is anyone else in the same situation ?

Thanks in advance !
Hey.. congratulations . What's your AOR? When you received PPR ?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thank you. I have another question. What I had received in January was a AL with below notes. It was not a CoPR.

"On March 18, 2020, the Government of Canada announced travel restrictions to Canada to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of Canadians. Your application for permanent residence (PR) was approved on 2020/09/18 (BTW my application truly moved to approved status on 2021/1/28) and you were issued a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) document (I never had received this and I had written back to them).

If you are from a country that requires a visa to travel to Canada, you were also issued a PR visa counterfoil in your passport. Your CoPR and PR visa TXXXXXXXX will expire on 2022/11/30.

At this time, we are not printing and mailing new CoPRs or PR visa counterfoils. For your travel to Canada, you will need to:
 bring this letter;
 show it to the airline as proof that you are exempt from the travel restriction and that your COPR and PR visa are valid; and,
 use this letter before 2022/11/30"

My application also moved to approved status with same TXXXXXXXXXX number and expiry date noted in the travel document number. I also received another email from them saying

"Hello,
This is to confirm that you may now use your travel authorization letters to travel to Canada. Your new COPR has been authorized in the system and CBSA has been notified that you will be entering Canada using your travel authorization letter at the port of entry.
At this time, we are not printing and mailing new CoPRs or PR visa counterfoils. For your travel to Canada, you will need to:
• bring this letter, along with your original CoPR and PR visa if you received one
• show it to the airline as proof that you are exempt from the travel restriction and that the validity of your expired CoPR and PR visa have in fact been extended.
Use this letter before (re-issued COPR Expiry Date 2022/11/30) "

However just two weeks back on April 23rd they sent below email:
" This is inform you that due to an administrative error, you were sent an AUTHORIZATION letter on 2021-01-08 to travel to Canada . Unfortunately, at this time, you will not be able to travel to Canada with the letter of Authorization that was sent to you. You cannot travel to Canada at this time, please do not make travel arrangements. If you have already made travel plans, please contact us immediately by replying to this email or call the call centre (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time) 1-800-855-0511 (Voice to TTY) 711 (TTY to Voice) 1-800-855.

Once travel restriction are lifted, your application will be processed as a priority.

To protect Canadians from the outbreak of COVID-19, the Prime Minister announced travel restrictions that limit travel to Canada. Until further notice, most foreign nationals cannot travel to Canada, even if they have a valid visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA). Please refer to the link below to obtain detail information regarding foreign nationals who are eligible to travel to Canada."

Interesting above email was sent on April 23rd when Canada has stopped any flight arrival from India. I am not sure they did to everyone with India passport without worrying about their residence status.

My application is in approved status and has COPR TXXXXXXXX in the document number that is valid till 2022/11/30. I also know that they had extended my medical to "August 18, 2021". They had mentioned this in "Are you able to travel to Canada soon email".

I am confused if they have only cancelled my travel authorization or have cancelled CoPR as well. Though the same CoPR number reflect in my application. Can I take the AL, my application page to give my CoPR # to immigration office and my job offer to immigrate as PR. Will that be fine give US resident are exempt from travel.
They have only cancelled your AL.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I received some vague answer from the my local Canadian Immigration Department here in Sydney, and yeah they recommend going through a work permit if I have a work contract (saying they are not expert regarding the land crossing conditions from US).
But here's my question @legalfalcon : isn't it a little contradictory to apply for a work permit when you intend to stay permanently in Canada ?
Because I can see that one of the criteria for the work permit is:
"prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires "...
And my work contract does not have an end date of course (as I remain a permanent employee), so I am unsure whether I can obtain one...
Most contracts do not have an end date. They are open and will be terminated by either the employer or employee based on the procedure listed in the contract.

When you obtain a work permit, it is a temporary visa, and you cannot indefinitely stay in the Canada. If you intend to, then you should file a PR application and obtain a PR.

All TRVs come with a condition that you will leave Canada after the purpose of your stay is over.

Here is my old post on this issue see #5,214

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Thank you. I have another question. What I had received in January was a AL with below notes. It was not a CoPR.

"On March 18, 2020, the Government of Canada announced travel restrictions to Canada to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of Canadians. Your application for permanent residence (PR) was approved on 2020/09/18 (BTW my application truly moved to approved status on 2021/1/28) and you were issued a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) document (I never had received this and I had written back to them).

If you are from a country that requires a visa to travel to Canada, you were also issued a PR visa counterfoil in your passport. Your CoPR and PR visa TXXXXXXXX will expire on 2022/11/30.

 bring this letter;
 show it to the airline as proof that you are exempt from the travel restriction and that your COPR and PR visa are valid; and,
 use this letter before 2022/11/30"

My application also moved to approved status with same TXXXXXXXXXX number and expiry date noted in the travel document number. I also received another email from them saying

"Hello,
This is to confirm that you may now use your travel authorization letters to travel to Canada. Your new COPR has been authorized in the system and CBSA has been notified that you will be entering Canada using your travel authorization letter at the port of entry.
• bring this letter, along with your original CoPR and PR visa if you received one
• show it to the airline as proof that you are exempt from the travel restriction and that the validity of your expired CoPR and PR visa have in fact been extended.
Use this letter before (re-issued COPR Expiry Date 2022/11/30) "

However just two weeks back on April 23rd they sent below email:
" This is inform you that due to an administrative error, you were sent an AUTHORIZATION letter on 2021-01-08 to travel to Canada . Unfortunately, at this time, you will not be able to travel to Canada with the letter of Authorization that was sent to you. You cannot travel to Canada at this time, please do not make travel arrangements. If you have already made travel plans, please contact us immediately by replying to this email or call the call centre (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time) 1-800-855-0511 (Voice to TTY) 711 (TTY to Voice) 1-800-855.

Once travel restriction are lifted, your application will be processed as a priority.

To protect Canadians from the outbreak of COVID-19, the Prime Minister announced travel restrictions that limit travel to Canada. Until further notice, most foreign nationals cannot travel to Canada, even if they have a valid visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA). Please refer to the link below to obtain detail information regarding foreign nationals who are eligible to travel to Canada."

Interesting above email was sent on April 23rd when Canada has stopped any flight arrival from India. I am not sure they did to everyone with India passport without worrying about their residence status.

My application is in approved status and has COPR TXXXXXXXX in the document number that is valid till 2022/11/30. I also know that they had extended my medical to "August 18, 2021". They had mentioned this in "Are you able to travel to Canada soon email".

I am confused if they have only cancelled my travel authorization or have cancelled CoPR as well. Though the same CoPR number reflect in my application. Can I take the AL, my application page to give my CoPR # to immigration office and my job offer to immigrate as PR. Will that be fine give US resident are exempt from travel.
It looks like:

1. You do not hold a hard-copy of any new COPR (you never received it);
2. They expressly stated that your AL was withdrawn.

So from my perspective your current situation is that you are a holder of an expired COPR without an AL nor a new, valid COPR.

On that basis you can't travel even if you are a US resident. It would probably be different if you had a valid COPR in hand and even in that case I would advise to call them to verify what to do (though you may get a different answer depending on the operator and they state that what they say over the phone is not binding).

keisersausey

Jul 14, 2020
Most contracts do not have an end date. They are open and will be terminated by either the employer or employee based on the procedure listed in the contract.

When you obtain a work permit, it is a temporary visa, and you cannot indefinitely stay in the Canada. If you intend to, then you should file a PR application and obtain a PR.

All TRVs come with a condition that you will leave Canada after the purpose of your stay is over.

Here is my old post on this issue see #5,214
Yeah that's where it becomes a little blurry for me: how do I "prove" that I intend to leave Canada at the end of my work permit when in fact I already have a COPR and know perfectly well I will become PR as soon as I land.... It doesn't make sense to me, I am confused :x
Do I buy a return plane ticket for in 1 year that I will have to cancel once I'm in Canada ? Do I write a letter swearing on my honour that I will leave at the end of the work permit ?
It feels like I lie to them saying "You can let me in, I promise I ll leave at the end of my work permit" and as soon as I land I become PR and say "Nope I stay here for good in the end"....

tusa47

Mar 2, 2019
Category........
FSW
Doc's Request.
20-02-2019
For those who are waiting for the medical request.

Yesterday I got an email from IRCC "donotreply" and the medical request letter in my GCkey account.

Pre-March 18th COPR
Do you still want to immigrate email - 14th April, replied on the same day.
Profile updated - 17th April
Remedical Request - 10th May

InterstellarImmigrant

Star Member
May 11, 2021
For those who are waiting for the medical request.

Yesterday I got an email from IRCC "donotreply" and the medical request letter in my GCkey account.

Pre-March 18th COPR
Do you still want to immigrate email - 14th April, replied on the same day.
Profile updated - 17th April
Remedical Request - 10th May
Happy to see this, I too am a pre-March 18 COPR holder and awaiting the medical request.
My Visa office would be New Delhi. Could I ask what would your VO be?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Yeah that's where it becomes a little blurry for me: how do I "prove" that I intend to leave Canada at the end of my work permit when in fact I already have a COPR and know perfectly well I will become PR as soon as I land.... It doesn't make sense to me, I am confused :x
Do I buy a return plane ticket for in 1 year that I will have to cancel once I'm in Canada ? Do I write a letter swearing on my honour that I will leave at the end of the work permit ?
It feels like I lie to them saying "You can let me in, I promise I ll leave at the end of my work permit" and as soon as I land I become PR and say "Nope I stay here for good in the end"....
It does not matter whether you have a COPR and will become a PR when you land or you have to promise that you will return. These are insignificant things. The factors that are looked into are your reason to come to Canada, your ties with your home country, past Travel.

It is the combination of all and not just one.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
1. I did not have a "RE :" in reply email
2. Received email on 29th March, Replied on 1st April. 14th April status changed to Submitted, all details vanished except Biometrics date
3. Yes ,on 16th April received re medical request
Received request for PCC just now. Have 30 days to upload the same

Reactions: consbear

pavie24

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Those who have responsed on the "Do you still want to immigrate"

and have their GCKey Status as "Submitted"

Does your GCKey also show this?

Background checkHelp - Background check
We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decisionHelp - Final decision
Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.
Yes, my status is the same..
I keep seeing the status shift from Application Updated to Submitted.. but there is no change inside my profile..

pavie24

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
has anyone had their meds done in mumbai recently? how's the adherence to covid protocols?
I did mine on April 21st.. at CDC Andheri..
They were quite strict about covid protocols.. they're giving fewer appointments in a day..
Social Distancing was possible.. they were sanitizing everything regularly.. made sure people don't come in contact with each other.. sanitize seats after someone leaves a testing room..