+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Converting TRV to a work visa and to a PR.

Ravi vashi

Oct 6, 2015
I have recently applied for a TRV for my family and waiting for passports to get back.
Though my application is purely for visiting once only to attain family function and to travel some of the places nearby.
I was recently advised by someone that if you wish you can convert TRV to work visa once you are there and even apply for PR later on.
my question is, I am little bit sceptical about this and wish to know more if this is actually possible?
Though in my application I have already submitted my travel purpose, details of my stay and also a copy of my return ticket bookings which shows that I'll return back within a month time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Technically it's possible.

However in reality it's extremely difficult to convert a TRV into a work permit. In order to do that, you must find an employer willing to offer you a full time job and who is also able to obtain an approved LMIA. This is a long (many months) and expensive process. Most employers aren't willing to go through it for these reasons. You need both the full time job offer and the approved LMIA in order to qualify to apply for a work permit.

Ravi vashi

Oct 6, 2015
scylla said:
Technically it's possible.

However in reality it's extremely difficult to convert a TRV into a work permit. In order to do that, you must find an employer willing to offer you a full time job and who is also able to obtain an approved LMIA. This is a long (many months) and expensive process. Most employers aren't willing to go through it for these reasons. You need both the full time job offer and the approved LMIA in order to qualify to apply for a work permit.
Thanks for the reply....
Exactly the same questions I asked him. To this he replied that he know some one there who can provide you with one year contract job offer and he is having positive LMIA for his company (he didn't clearly mention about any amount to be paid yet).
My doubts are:-
1. whether the LMIA letter would be real?
2. Also is it possible to get LMIA before deciding an employer and
3. what if he has provided same letter to others too for same position.
If all good still, ill be having max 6 months time once I enter Canada to convert TRV to work visa. Is that possible within that time frame?
Could that be a worth taking risk while traveling with a family.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Impossible for any of us to say. However if you are being asked to pay any money in exchange for this job, then assume it's a scam and the job/LMIA is fake.
2. No - you can't. You need to have the job offer first. The LMIA is something that your employer has to apply for - not you.
3. Sometimes it's possible that an employer may offer the same job to a number of people. It's really impossible to comment on your situation since you've provided no details. Keep in mind that to be approved for an LMIA, the employer has to prove the job was advertised and no Canadians could be found for the role. If an employer is applying for many LMIAs, he may be scrutinized more closely to ensure he is following the process.

Note that a contract job won't help you to immigrate and become a PR. To help with immigration - the job must be permanent. It should also be a skilled job: NOC A, B or 0 skill level.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Just FYI
You can apply for PR even from outside Canada without job offer at all. Qualification depends on your work experience, degrees and more, but it's difficult.

As said only a permanent job offer and a LMIA can help to get PR faster.

If finally it's a legitimate job offer, skill level (NOC 0, A or B) and you accept it then you can request a permanent employment job offer and apply to PR.

There are different options to apply to PR, so you'll need more information if finally you're interested on it.

Note Express Entry rules are expected to be changed in some time, if you qualify better apply ASAP.

My recommendation is to confirm the job offer and LMIA are legitimate, obtain details about the job and the employer, if the business is working for several years, if the work area is one really demanded here...

Assuming the job is real, evaluate your interest for Canada, life is really different here and some things are harder than in our original countries, consider about you family as well

Make your plans considering is only a temporary job that can lead to PR just eventually.

Good luck

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Ravi vashi said:
I have recently applied for a TRV for my family and waiting for passports to get back.
Though my application is purely for visiting once only to attain family function and to travel some of the places nearby.
I was recently advised by someone that if you wish you can convert TRV to work visa once you are there and even apply for PR later on.
my question is, I am little bit sceptical about this and wish to know more if this is actually possible?
Though in my application I have already submitted my travel purpose, details of my stay and also a copy of my return ticket bookings which shows that I'll return back within a month time.
Technically there is no such process "to convert TRV to work visa". Work Visa application is completely separated from TRV and TRV is not required to apply for Work Visa. In addition TRV can't help you in any way to get work visa.

Ravi vashi

Oct 6, 2015
Gregor.Samsa said:
Just FYI
You can apply for PR even from outside Canada without job offer at all. Qualification depends on your work experience, degrees and more, but it's difficult.

As said only a permanent job offer and a LMIA can help to get PR faster.

If finally it's a legitimate job offer, skill level (NOC 0, A or B) and you accept it then you can request a permanent employment job offer and apply to PR.

There are different options to apply to PR, so you'll need more information if finally you're interested on it.

Note Express Entry rules are expected to be changed in some time, if you qualify better apply ASAP.

My recommendation is to confirm the job offer and LMIA are legitimate, obtain details about the job and the employer, if the business is working for several years, if the work area is one really demanded here...

Assuming the job is real, evaluate your interest for Canada, life is really different here and some things are harder than in our original countries, consider about you family as well

Make your plans considering is only a temporary job that can lead to PR just eventually.

Good luck
I have done MBA in international business from university in UK back in 2011.
After that I came back to India and started working in developer company as a Senior Project Manager since past 4 years (NOC- 0).
I did gave IELTS and got 6.5 bands with 6+ bands in all. was planing for PR last year.
But dropped plan as when I calculated my score it turns out to be somewhere near 380.
Which I guess is too low for express entry so I never applied.
So basically if I get a permanent job offer (not 1- 2 year contract) than chances are that I may get work permit?
Also need to be sure that company offering me job and LMIA r genuine which I guess can cross check when I am present there on visitor.
If all goes positive do I need apply again for work visa outside Canada or can be done without leaving?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The reality is that your chances of securing a job in Canada while here as a visitor are extremely low. Even if you secure a job offer and an approved LMIA - this doesn't guarantee the work permit will be approved. You can apply for the work permit from within Canada.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Ravi

To get the 600 points you need both a current work with LMIA (better a 2 years work but it's not a requirement) and a permanent job offer.

Obviously the LMIA is the harder part.

Job should be NOC 0, A or B to apply EE as Federal Skill Worker.
Note a IETLS 6.5 (CLB 7) is the minimum score for FSW stream, so if it's less than 2 years ago when applying for PR should work

After a year working you could apply through CEC where only a CLB 5 is required but inmigration procedures can change in a year most likely.

As Scylla said getting LMIA and WP is hard but possible.

Ravi vashi

Oct 6, 2015
@Gregor.Samsa

Thanks for the information shared.
Will definitely keep in mind all this before running into any conclusion.
Summing up all this I feel, if am able to fetch job offer with valid LMIA it's better to go for express entry right?
I just thought of this option as I was said this could be the fastest way to settle in Canada.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Ravi vashi said:
@Gregor.Samsa

Thanks for the information shared.
Will definitely keep in mind all this before running into any conclusion.
Summing up all this I feel, if am able to fetch job offer with valid LMIA it's better to go for express entry right?
I just thought of this option as I was said this could be the fastest way to settle in Canada.
Yes LMIA isn't mandatory but definitely will boost your chances to get PR.

Just note EE changes are expected to reduce the LMIA score, so if you get a genuine e not too bad job with a real LMIA for a skill level B, A or 0, just apply ASAP

If you want to apply inmediately after landing take a look to FEDERAL SKILLED WORKERS requirements, are harder than Canadian Experience Class (minimum 1 year Canadian Experience)