+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Convenience common law union for immigration purposes.

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
While filling out the forms and studying studying studying there's always those questions of "What if they think...?
in the back of my mind.

In our story,

1. I met my partner once for about 20 minutes a couple years back as a friend.

2. We kept in touch over email as friends, I moved to The Philippines for long term, not because of her.

3. We lived on different islands, met a few times, fell in love and decided to live together in my home.

4. About 8 months of living together, inseparable, almost 24 hours a day, reality sets in and I realize I can't earn money I have to go home one day.

5. I look online, find this website.....full of helpful friendly people......yay! And realize I can sponsor her as a common law partner after 1 year of cohabiting, joining our finances, etc. (We can not be married as she is already married/separated in The Philippines where divorce is illegal)

6. Although it's extremely difficult for me to stay for a few more months, for the sake of our undeniable love and unshakable commitment to each other I will do anything to stay together and finish the one year, even if it means enduring hardship. Money is in short supply and even small expenses seem like big ones. I must leave in October or November which will be after 12 or 13 months of living together. It's heartbreaking, uncertain and just plain terrible for both of us to even think of that.

(continued below)

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So the rule is after 12 months cohabiting we can apply. We're now on month 9 and we're ensuring we gather and keep complete evidence on everything we do. We're filling out the forms now and then gathering all the information now so that we're not rushed when it's time to apply and to ensure it's done correctly.

And in the back of my mind I'm worried that they will think it's a "relationship of convenience for immigration purposes" If my partner is called in for an interview, and I'm almost sure she will be.

Maybe they will ask... why were we started collecting evidence so early?
Or bring up the fact that I only stayed here in Philippines after 8 months so that I can sponsor her.
And it's true....if I was able to sponsor her now I'd go home next week! But of course I must wait....then apply and wait again....and again....just like everyone else on this board.

My questions are

How should we present our application while being 100% truthful, but not to make it look like we spent a few months waiting only so we could apply?

Is it common for people to apply almost exactly 1 year of cohabiting, the absolute minimum time required? I see so many partnerships that were together for several years before applying

How should we deal with the question in an interview if they start accusing us of a "convenience partnership"
Do you think my concerns are warranted or am I worrying too much on the "what ifs"?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Boracay said:
Maybe they will ask... why were we started collecting evidence so early?
Don't make it look like you are manufacturing evidence. If you have a relationship, there will be evidence. Some people don't have enough because they didn't keep it, but others are pack rats and do have everything. I think if the evidence is legitimate, the visa officer won't be able to accuse you of some type of fraud just because you collected it; anyway, the VO won't know when you collected evidence.
Examples of evidence that was considered suspicious by the VO or at appeal: a sudden change in the amount of contact - for example, only a few phone calls or emails a month before the PR app was rejected, and then hundreds a month afterwards, to make it look good for the appeal; photos that look staged - one way around that is to try to include some candid photos, where it looks like the two of you did not even realize you were being photographed, maybe in the background at a party or something like that; the applicant not being able to identify people in the submitted photos at the interview; anything that you write yourselves can be questioned - for example, emails, messages, letters, and cards could just be made up - but it is usually accepted at face value.
Or bring up the fact that I only stayed here in Philippines after 8 months so that I can sponsor her.
And it's true....if I was able to sponsor her now I'd go home next week!
Don't stress that you are doing this, though if she is asked directly in the interview, don't lie about it either. Stress that you love each other and want to stay together, but you ran out of money and are going back to Canada to get a job so you can be together as soon as possible.
Is it common for people to apply almost exactly 1 year of cohabiting, the absolute minimum time required?
Some people have.
How should we deal with the question in an interview if they start accusing us of a "convenience partnership"
If the VO asks questions like this, your partner must stress that you love each other very much. Some VOs ask the same thing over and over, trying to make the applicant slip up and admit that the relationship is fake. She should just try to remain calm and reiterate that she loves you and the relationship is genuine.

If you submit a lot of evidence that the relationship is genuine, the interview will most likely be easier.
One thing the VOs do look for as a sign that the relationship is genuine is the attitude to any children brought into the relationship. So include proof that you have a close relationship with her child in the application, if you do. If you don't, try to start developing one now - just taking an interest in the child is enough, if he/she lives far away.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
well some stuff do have dates...for example, i started to get letters of support from Canada since march, recently we just bought a nice new sofa ( reeeeeeeed :p )...the could say we bought it just for extra evidence, although our old sofa was so small and unconfortable, it was just temporary but when u don't find and all is expensive, temporary could b for looooong time....

at the end most of the proof can be made only for immigration, even pictures u can photoshop urselves or the date....but they have some psychological training also, if they want to see u at the interview, just b urself and be honest....always state the love for each other and she needs to put in evindence that she moves to canada for u, otherwise she would not move

the best proof is what u have from the beginning (if u have) people who know all ur history, etc....

if u explain in the letters why u cannot stay in phillippinnes, that u go back to prepare ur future together it should b ok....

some people got married at their first meeting and applied soon after and it was ok....some have been together for long time and somehow they got rejected....the process is case by case....good luck

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We have plenty of friends willing to say that they have known us for an amount of time, however of course all of them will of known us as a couple for less than 1 year.
We are moving away from this island so we can't wait til later

I guess that's as good as it's going to get for that oart...hopefully it's ok