+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Continuing English education in Quebec after PR

Nov 2, 2020
Hi Friends,
I have a question around continuing English public school in Quebec under EMSB after receiving federal PR.

I am currently in Montréal and have a work permit till 2023, based on which my kids are going to English public school under EMSB.

If I receive my federal PR prior to 2023 then :
1. Should I inform the school and move my kids out of English public school right away OR can continue till the end of my current eligibility till 2023

2. if I continue till 2023 even after receiving PR, what is the implication? Can it have any impact on my citizenship application in future

kindly advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Friends,
I have a question around continuing English public school in Quebec under EMSB after receiving federal PR.

I am currently in Montréal and have a work permit till 2023, based on which my kids are going to English public school under EMSB.

If I receive my federal PR prior to 2023 then :
1. Should I inform the school and move my kids out of English public school right away OR can continue till the end of my current eligibility till 2023

2. if I continue till 2023 even after receiving PR, what is the implication? Can it have any impact on my citizenship application in future

kindly advice.
Once you all get PR your children must move to French school. If you plan on getting PR would make much more sense to get them into French school early to minimize the transition. Assume it depends on where they are in the school year but yet again if applying for PR it would be better for them to transition earlier rather than waiting until you all have PR.