App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Hi all. I haven't been around the forum much lately but still see this as my go to place for solid advice and useful information, so I am back asking for a friend.

My American friend Tammy, married to a Canadian citizen, and her two kids (one accompanying one not) has had her PR app in process for about 26 months now. It started in B'lo and got transferred to LA when B'lo closed. Well, she finally got notice to send the passports to LA last week. Unfortunately, since June she has lost both her mother and her only sibling and has been traveling back and forth for funerals and trying to help settle things for her elderly father. At this point she feels like she can't send off her passports and is seriously thinking about NOT landing at all (the whole process has been such as hassle for her that she and her husband have decided to settle in the US sometime late next year. She has a visitor record good until next year).

Anyway, I'm trying to convince her to go through with landing because of the obvious benefits of holding PR status (with a citizen husband she can maintain her PR status even living outside Canada) should they later decide Canada really is the place they need to be. I also encouraged her to contact LA and explain her situation to get an extension on submitting passports. Unrelated, but also interesting, she thinks there are going to be complications and costs to her inheritance should she hold resident status in Canada.

Long story short...Does anyone have a phone number or an email that works for actually contacting the LA office?

Hope all are well. Thanks,
Allison

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Assuming she is a US Citizen, she can get a second passport, use one for travel and the other to submit.

Here's a link to a company that assists with this: http://www.visahq.com/second_passport.php but they are just one of many (I searched for "second US passport").

I've done this, it's generally not that difficult and needing to send your passport at the same time as you need it for travel IS a legitimate reason. I obtained a second passport because I required a visa and the processing times listed for the visa meant with my existing travel schedule I could not comply. I send everything to a service on Monday and had my second passport back on Wednesday and submitted the second passport for the visa on Friday. It worked like a charm.

Inheritance tax is a function of the location of the estate, not of the beneficiary of the estate. So no matter where she lives, it is the ESTATE that pays estate tax.

There is a fax and e-mail address on the LA visa office web page. See: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/los_angeles/visas/enquiry-how_demande-comment.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

Good luck!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Thanks for the reply Computergeek! I had no idea that one could hold 2 copies of a passport.