+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contacted Local MP

Riya Kaur

Star Member
Jan 13, 2022
I applied visitor visa application on Dec 2022 via new online portal. My application was pending almost for 3 months and my spouse who is in canada contacted local MP one week ago about my visitor visa application. Today MP office sent email to my spouse saying that they contacted ircc they managed to get information about my application.
Eligibility: passed
criminality: is in process.
Is it good sign that i passed the eligibility. What is the chances of approval?
I am desperatly waiting for some feedback.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I applied visitor visa application on Dec 2022 via new online portal. My application was pending almost for 3 months and my spouse who is in canada contacted local MP one week ago about my visitor visa application. Today MP office sent email to my spouse saying that they contacted ircc they managed to get information about my application.
All normal part of processing. All you can do is wait. Where are you living now?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Impossible to say what will happen to your TRV because it appears as though you are not a true visitor. Precovid TRV would have been denied but now it is 50/50. Your processing time is still not abnormal so you’ll just have to be patient. Do you have strong ties to India like current employment, own savings, etc.?

Riya Kaur

Star Member
Jan 13, 2022
Impossible to say what will happen to your TRV because it appears as though you are not a true visitor. Precovid TRV would have been denied but now it is 50/50. Your processing time is still not abnormal so you’ll just have to be patient. Do you have strong ties to India like current employment, own savings, etc.?
Why i am not true visitor? Is there any law that restrict to meet spouse as a visitor. I have decent job back in home and also good saving.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why i am not true visitor? Is there any law that restrict to meet spouse as a visitor. I have decent job back in home and also good saving.
If you are being sponsored to live in Canada you have plans to live in Canada and most spouses want to live together. Almost all applying for TRVs while also applying for sponsorship have no intention of coming for a short vacation and returning home until they receive PR. If you have a good job and savings you have a better chance of convincing IRCC you are only planning on taking a short vacation to Canada and then returning home. It is really 50/50. Better than precovid when it would have almost 100% been refused.

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
Your eligibility according to the MP has been assessed as passed, so that is a good sign. I think you can ignore negative/irrelevant comments naming you not a true visitor or whatever or speaking about the refusal rate for those with a pending spousal sponsorship blah blah. These are all speculations.

Hard to say what criminality check means, could just be a matched name to someone else's criminal records and just need to take longer to clear that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your eligibility according to the MP has been assessed as passed, so that is a good sign. I think you can ignore negative/irrelevant comments naming you not a true visitor or whatever or speaking about the refusal rate for those with a pending spousal sponsorship blah blah. These are all speculations.

Hard to say what criminality check means, could just be a matched name to someone else's criminal records and just need to take longer to clear that.
Refusal rates for TRV for spouses of PR and Canadian citizens while being sponsored are pretty well documented. It is a very common scenario. You can look at the forum for others applying with very similar applications and you can even look at the result of the applications precovid when almost all were denied. This is why it has always been recommended to apply for TRVs before getting married versus after getting married. It is very difficult and expensive to deport people from Canada which is why it has been historically very difficult for a spouse of a Canadian citizen or PR to be approved for a TRV. This is especially the case when there is minimal dating history especially in person, it is an arranged marriage, etc. Canada wants to ensure a relationship is genuine before a spouse comes to Canada because once in Canada it is very difficult to get someone to leave. In many countries it is very easy to deport someone, there is no access to free legal representation or access to alternative immigration routes so it can be much easier to obtain a TRV for a spouse or just in general. Unfortunately spousal sponsorship is one of the ways people commit immigration fraud which is why Canada is cautious when it comes to granting TRVs for spouses of PRs and citizens. It has become easier to get a TRV for a spouse being sponsored than before but it is far from guaranteed for the reasons already explained but also because most are also not genuine visitors and want to move to Canada and not just visit their spouse and then return home. Having a good job and good ties to your home country helps your chances of getting a TRV because it is conceivable that you could be travelling for a short visit and returning home to your job although 99% of applicants do not return home.

Although nobody asked for the explanation and history around TRVs for spouse being sponsored hopefully this will provide some insight as to why not everyone is approved to anyone reading this post.

FetaSalad

Oct 31, 2022
from my personal experience, local MP could not provide too much help and valuable information
I contacted local MP for 3 times got gentle replies about the status of application, where can also be found from IRCC website.
my fiancee still waited almost 8 months under "review eligibility" before getting the PPR of visitor visa.

Do you have travel history? To where?
Is this your first time apply visitor visa on the basis of invitation of your PR/Citizenship spouse?
What documents did you provide for the proof of ties to your home country?
also from my personal experience, as long as you can proof strong ties to your home country, the application can be approved, though I agree what canuck78's inputs.

Last edited:

Angienanti

Dec 17, 2021
Y
from my personal experience, local MP could not provide too much help and valuable information
I contacted local MP for 3 times got gentle replies about the status of application, where can also be found from IRCC website.
my fiancee still waited almost 8 months under "review eligibility" before getting the PPR of visitor visa.

Is this your first time apply visitor visa on the basis of invitation of your PR/Citizenship spouse?
also from my personal experience, as long as you can proof strong ties to your home country, the application can be approved, though I agree what canuck78's inputs.
You mean 8 months after eligibility started??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

People seem to be under the false impression that an MP can have major impacts on immigration. That is why so many people waste their time obtaining a letter from their MP. Unless you have a personal relationship with your MP a letter has minimal impact on your application.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

FetaSalad

Oct 31, 2022
Y

You mean 8 months after eligibility started??
yes, we applied last FEB, Eligibility Reviews started last JUL or AUG, got PPR a week ago (this MAR), though the average processing time was 50 days from what we can see on IRCC website, it takes actually 12-13 months to our application.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
People that believe that contacting their MP and or including a letter for support in their application need to become familiar with the term “ undue influence .” And MP cannot be seen as using their position to influence a VO decision.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/procedure/standing-orders/Appa1-e.html

Maybe in some countries there’s this wink wink nudge nudge system , but MP are supposed to be independent of the process here . Regardless of association, and the MP should be aware of that AND explain that to the person asking for assistance.

I used to work for EI. Friend was having issues with a claim , asked if I could look into it . Answer was a No. They had to go thru the channels that are available to all. Me having access to the system was irrelevant and it would have been highly unethical for me to get involved and subject to termination and or discipline.
Same for a MP. Civil servant is a civil servant . You don’t get personally involved and attempt to use your position to influence a decision

Last edited: