+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contact Info for Canada Immigration?

Alaska2Canada

Apr 1, 2016
Hello,

Does anyone know if Canada Immigration has a phone number or an email address that I can contact regarding questions about the, “Application for Citizenship Certification” form?

I’ve looked at their website and all I see is boiler plate FAQs. I don’t see anyway to contact a person to get questions answered. Maybe I’m missing something?

Thanks so much.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alaska2Canada said:
Hello,

Does anyone know if Canada Immigration has a phone number or an email address that I can contact regarding questions about the, “Application for Citizenship Certification” form?

I’ve looked at their website and all I see is boiler plate FAQs. I don’t see anyway to contact a person to get questions answered. Maybe I’m missing something?

Thanks so much.
A number of people here, including myself*, have filled out the application successfully. All you do is answer all the questions truthfully. If there is a question about a parent/grandparent who isn't Canadian, answer it anyway, and write (by hand, after the form is printed) "not a Canadian citizen." I think you're worrying too much.

*my application was actually for "delayed registration of birth abroad," but the same questions were asked.

Alaska2Canada

Apr 1, 2016
alphazip said:
A number of people here, including myself*, have filled out the application successfully. All you do is answer all the questions truthfully. If there is a question about a parent/grandparent who isn't Canadian, answer it anyway, and write (by hand, after the form is printed) "not a Canadian citizen." I think you're worrying too much.

*my application was actually for "delayed registration of birth abroad," but the same questions were asked.
The problem, for me, is that some of the questions aren't defined. Specificaly,

1) Section 6 — Absences from Canada—Did you leave Canada for 1 year or longer before 1977?
My Question: I never lived in Canada prior to 1977. So, do I answer, “Not Applicable”, or, do I answer, “Yes, Starting Date: my birthdate, and, Ending Date: 1977-12-31”?

2) Section 8A — Did this parent leave Canada for more than 1 year before 1977?
My Question: My mother left Canada in 1946 until her death in 2002. What date do I use for her, “To” date? 1977-12-31? Or, her date of death?

3) Section 8A —Is or was this parent a citizen of a country other than Canada?
My Question: My mother became a naturalized citizen of the USA sometime after marrying my father and moving the USA. I do not have date for that, although I believe it was prior to 1952. Is it sufficient for me to state she became a US citizen prior to 1952, or do I have know the exact date she became naturalized?

4) Section 8B — Applicant’s Grandparents
My Question: As my mother was born in Canada, do I answer, “Not Applicable” to Questions (1) and (2)?
Second Question: Do I then answer, “Not Applicable” with regard to the requested information on my mother’s grandparents? (The "instructions" say to "Answer all questions on the application regarding your grandparents.)

5) Section 9 — Have you ever lived in Canada?
My Question: I attended university in Edmonton between the Fall Semester, 1982 and the Spring Semester, 1986. But, I never lived in Canada as a resident. Do I answer, “No”, since I didn’t live in Canada as resident, or, do I answer, “Yes” to include my time there as a student?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Write "I never lived in Canada prior to 1977."
2. 1946-date of death. Write "date of death" after the latter date.
3. Write "about 1952." However, you may be able to discover the correct date by going to ancestry.com, entering your mother's information, and searching under Immigration and Travel (Citizenship and Immigration). My father's info is there, and he naturalized in the U.S. in the 50s. If you find your mother's record, but you can't access the information (because you're not a member), many libraries have Ancestry accounts.
4. Answer all the info re: your parents and grandparents on both sides of the family, Canadian and non-Canadian. Don't just write N/A; CIC will decide what applies.
5. Yes, 1982-1986. Write "university student."