+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Partnership Between seafarers

A.magri41

Jun 2, 2018
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know about other conjugal partnership applications. We have them all the required information that was asked for in the application, then 2 months ago we got a procedural fairness and asked us for more documentation. They said we appear to be dating but might not be in a conjugal relationship. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, anyone who has worked at sea while doing the sponsorship, please comment because we are having trouble with them understanding this!

Thanks!

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know about other conjugal partnership applications. We have them all the required information that was asked for in the application, then 2 months ago we got a procedural fairness and asked us for more documentation. They said we appear to be dating but might not be in a conjugal relationship. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, anyone who has worked at sea while doing the sponsorship, please comment because we are having trouble with them understanding this!

Thanks!
This is an interesting question i have never seen covered before re seafarers but not sure it makes a conjugal relationship.

Conjugal is a tricky area.. You might also need to give a little more info though..eg. where the sponsor and PA are from, length of relationship etc.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Unless there is a legal or immigration barrier that actively prevents you from being married or establishing a common-law relationship, I would be very surprised if this is approved. "Conjugal partner" applications are not for when it's just inconvenient to be together.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hey guys,

Thanks!
What is your legal barrier to getting married or becoming common-law?

The actual relationship itself is irrelevant if you can get married or become common-law, but are just choosing not to.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Conjugal does mean that it's physically impossible to be together due to religious reasons, divorce being forbidden, laws on sexuality within a culture etc.

Technically you could both quit your jobs and be together. You choose not to.

Your initial post is a little vague so maybe expanding would help.

A.magri41

Jun 2, 2018
We met in March 2016 on board our ship. We began seeing each other April 3, 2016. I, the sponsor, 29, (female), am a Citizen, born and raised in Canada. The applicant (male), 30, is Italian. I began to sleep over in his room immediately, and by early to mid-May 2016, I moved my things in. On August 11, 2016, we got "companion linked" within our company while we were in Italy together, basically meaning that we are companions and want to be placed together. This is the date that we gave CIC as our "commitment date."

CIC got our application September 7, 2017. By that point, we had managed to live together for 13/17 months, and then afterwards 8/9 months. We are doing everything humanly possible to stay together which is what we tried to show in our answer to the Procedural Fairness. We sent in 489 extra pages of information explaining our situation. At the time of application, we could not qualify as common-law, because our company decides when to have us together, and when to separate us. It's really not our choice. After the application, there was a one year period of cohabitation with only 2 short breaks... but I fail to see how we can keep this up with our employers.

This time that we are cohabiting we have nothing to prove we are common-law. Neither of us owns property because we spend most of the year at sea. We cannot show them leases, bills, etc, because we don't have any! While on the ship, we are given free accommodation. We are young and haven't made wills or thought about life insurance....

Our employment is the only thing keeping us together, so we choose not to give it up. Neither of us has status in the others' country. My partner clearly does not qualify for any of the programs listed, including even an open-work permit, that are listed on IRCC's website. So we didn't apply. If we gave up our jobs, neither of us would be making any money and we would not be able to live together for more than a few months on visitor visas. How can we become common-law like this? It would make our situation WORSE in the idea of conjugal partners.

I absolutely HATE working here. I am only here and continue to take contracts to be with my partner. I have mentioned this in our information to IRCC.

We were both never married/or common-law, and have no children. No troubles with the law. An easy application for them.

However, with all this in mind. We are still a couple who has been together for the greater majority of the past 2 years, living like a married-couple, and that has to count for something!!! I don't see how we can be penalized because the two sponsorship options do not fit our particular situation. Not all couples are the same, and I hope that they realize this. My partner fits the description far more for conjugal, than common-law.

I would like to see a wedding get planned while at sea.. Neither of us now where or when we will be in the next month. Also, try planning a wedding with this internet that we have here. It will probably take 5 minutes just to post this text! I bet not one of you understands the struggles. Honestly.

A.magri41

Jun 2, 2018
Our jobs are the only thing keeping us together in the same place.

If we quit our jobs, we won't be together.... I've made another post explaining this.

Conjugal does mean that it's physically impossible to be together due to religious reasons, divorce being forbidden, laws on sexuality within a culture etc.

Technically you could both quit your jobs and be together. You choose not to.

Your initial post is a little vague so maybe expanding would help.

A.magri41

Jun 2, 2018
My partner does not seem eligible to come to Canada under any federal programs.

What is your legal barrier to getting married or becoming common-law?

The actual relationship itself is irrelevant if you can get married or become common-law, but are just choosing not to.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We met in March 2016 on board our ship. We began seeing each other April 3, 2016. I, the sponsor, 29, (female), am a Citizen, born and raised in Canada. The applicant (male), 30, is Italian. I began to sleep over in his room immediately, and by early to mid-May 2016, I moved my things in. On August 11, 2016, we got "companion linked" within our company while we were in Italy together, basically meaning that we are companions and want to be placed together. This is the date that we gave CIC as our "commitment date."

CIC got our application September 7, 2017. By that point, we had managed to live together for 13/17 months, and then afterwards 8/9 months. We are doing everything humanly possible to stay together which is what we tried to show in our answer to the Procedural Fairness. We sent in 489 extra pages of information explaining our situation. At the time of application, we could not qualify as common-law, because our company decides when to have us together, and when to separate us. It's really not our choice. After the application, there was a one year period of cohabitation with only 2 short breaks... but I fail to see how we can keep this up with our employers.

This time that we are cohabiting we have nothing to prove we are common-law. Neither of us owns property because we spend most of the year at sea. We cannot show them leases, bills, etc, because we don't have any! While on the ship, we are given free accommodation. We are young and haven't made wills or thought about life insurance....

Our employment is the only thing keeping us together, so we choose not to give it up. Neither of us has status in the others' country. My partner clearly does not qualify for any of the programs listed, including even an open-work permit, that are listed on IRCC's website. So we didn't apply. If we gave up our jobs, neither of us would be making any money and we would not be able to live together for more than a few months on visitor visas. How can we become common-law like this? It would make our situation WORSE in the idea of conjugal partners.

I absolutely HATE working here. I am only here and continue to take contracts to be with my partner. I have mentioned this in our information to IRCC.

We were both never married/or common-law, and have no children. No troubles with the law. An easy application for them.

However, with all this in mind. We are still a couple who has been together for the greater majority of the past 2 years, living like a married-couple, and that has to count for something!!! I don't see how we can be penalized because the two sponsorship options do not fit our particular situation. Not all couples are the same, and I hope that they realize this. My partner fits the description far more for conjugal, than common-law.

I would like to see a wedding get planned while at sea.. Neither of us now where or when we will be in the next month. Also, try planning a wedding with this internet that we have here. It will probably take 5 minutes just to post this text! I bet not one of you understands the struggles. Honestly.
Based on the information you've provided, you don't meet the requirements for a conjugal partnership since there are no real barriers to getting married or becoming common law. Since you received the procedural fairness letter - it sounds like IRCC agrees. At this point there's really nothing you can do but wait for the outcomes of the procedural fairness process - normal processing times unfortunately don't apply to your application. I would start planning what you will do if the application is refused.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
My partner does not seem eligible to come to Canada under any federal programs.
You do not meet the definition of conjugal partners. You can get married, but are choosing not to. Also your partner can come to Canada as a visitor, but is choosing not to. You have difficulties, but no barriers to marriage/common-law, just your own personal/employment reasons which are not typically acceptable reasons.

Many people become common-law by staying as a visitor in Canada for 1 year, unable to work. Or Canadians can stay in Europe 1 year as a visitor, unable to work. Or can do 6 months apiece in each country, as long as the 1 year is continuous. IRCC does expect you to do this as they don't typically consider employment/work reasons as valid barriers.

You could get married in a simple court/legal ceremony only, and do full family wedding later.

Unfortunately your app will most likely be rejected. You will need to reapply when you're married or common-law.

Last edited:

A.magri41

Jun 2, 2018
This is the problem.... even you guys who are posting replies aren’t reading our situation....

Our work keeps us together. We are common law and have lived together for more than one year continuously. Due to the nature of how we lived together, we cannot claim common-law.

A.magri41

Jun 2, 2018
Also, we have a right to not get married if we don’t want to. We prefer to be common law first and have a proper wedding after we have a job and a roof over our heads which is kind of priority. IRCC cannot force this.

A simple court marriage will not satisfy IRCC.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This is the problem.... even you guys who are posting replies aren’t reading our situation....

Our work keeps us together. We are common law and have lived together for more than one year continuously. Due to the nature of how we lived together, we cannot claim common-law.
Everyone is reading it. You don't seem to be understanding the answers you are receiving. Your work does not keep you together. You could quit and live together in either of your countries. You have made the personal decision to not do that, therefore you do not qualify for conjugal.

If you are common-law, you should have applied as such. I don't know what you mean by "cannot claim common-law". You easily could if it is true.

Also, we have a right to not get married if we don’t want to. We prefer to be common law first and have a proper wedding after we have a job and a roof over our heads which is kind of priority. IRCC cannot force this.

A simple court marriage will not satisfy IRCC.
You do have the right to not get married, hence the option for common-law.

IRCC would have no issues with a simple court wedding for a Canadian-Italian couple that have been together for a few years.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018

This still is NOT a legal barrier. The prior posters are more than correct in their replies and CIC wont accept this as a reason

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
By that point, we had managed to live together for 13/17 months, and then afterwards 8/9 months. After the application, there was a one year period of cohabitation with only 2 short breaks... but I fail to see how we can keep this up with our employers.
You are common-law spouse once you have live together for 12 months. You do not have to continue to live together during the application to "maintain your common-law relationship".

You will have very unconventional proof of cohabitation but you do have proof from the application to your company to live together by requesting "companion linked" and you physically moved into his room.

You can get life insurance regardless of your age (it's actually cheaper to start young) and make each other the beneficiary. You can ask coworkers, common friends and if your supervisors know write letter about your relationship. Do you have shared finances? Joint bank accounts? (I think he can be added to your account in Canada and create this joint account)

As much as you think it's hard to proof common-law, it's harder for you to qualify as conjugal. There is no legal barrier. He is from a visa exempted country and marriage is possible. Since you are already going through the Procedural Fairness step, be prepared that your application will likely be rejected.

Have he look into getting working holiday visa in Canada? He can work up to 6 months and stay up to 12 months in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=it&cat=wh&#country_category_name

You can also consider doing a court wedding or a small wedding. Since you two are committed anyway, it may be a natural step.

Reactions: scylla