+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal partner sponsor income

Austb

May 30, 2019
I had a question about the minimum income requirements for a conjugal partner to sponsor. My partner whom would sponsor me lives with her mother and can not currently work. I read this in the guide for sponsorship:

""""Income requirement
In most cases, there isn’t an income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if:
  • you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or
  • you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.
The Financial Evaluation form instructions explain how much money you’ll need and how to fill out the form.
You’ll get the form when you download your application package."""""

Considering I apply to neither of the 2 bullet points, does my partner still have to provide the minimum income requirement or around 20k to sponsor me? Thanks in advance.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I had a question about the minimum income requirements for a conjugal partner to sponsor. My partner whom would sponsor me lives with her mother and can not currently work. I read this in the guide for sponsorship:

""""Income requirement
In most cases, there isn’t an income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if:
  • you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or
  • you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.
The Financial Evaluation form instructions explain how much money you’ll need and how to fill out the form.

Considering I apply to neither of the 2 bullet points, does my partner still have to provide the minimum income requirement or around 20k to sponsor me? Thanks in advance.
There is no minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse, but be wary that a very slim subset of the population truly qualify for a conjugal app.

Reactions: Austb

Austb

May 30, 2019
I see, is there a very slim criteria to truly qualify for conjugal? We've been together for 8 years now and due to conditions just can't live in the same place at the moment until I can get perm. residency and a work permit from said residency app.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I see, is there a very slim criteria to truly qualify for conjugal? We've been together for 8 years now and due to conditions just can't live in the same place at the moment until I can get perm. residency and a work permit from said residency app.
You must have true legal or immigration barriers to common law or marrying. What country are you from? What true legal or immigration barriers do you have?

Austb

May 30, 2019
I am from the United States, and I suppose I just don't even know where to start. From what I can tell I don't quite qualify for a work permit outside of permanent residency and its money that keeps me from just moving and living there for a year+ to be common law. I could move there and do that, but I'd have no income.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am from the United States, and I suppose I just don't even know where to start. From what I can tell I don't quite qualify for a work permit outside of permanent residency and its money that keeps me from just moving and living there for a year+ to be common law. I could move there and do that, but I'd have no income.
Why can't you get married?

Generally speaking, if you're from the US the changes of qualifying for conjugal are extremely low.

Reactions: YVR123 and Austb

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Being from the United States you would almost certainly be exempt from conjugal. You cannot just "move" to Canada. You can enter as a visitor for up to 6 months, and as you mentioned, extend that to meet common law requirements. As you said you would not be able to work. Alternatively you could marry and apply inland from inside Canada and include an Open Work Permit application. Either way you do not qualify for conjugal. No matter which route you took you would be facing a period of time where you would not be working.

Austb

May 30, 2019
Money again, though we can do something small of course right. A marriage just has to be official and not a big thing. I suppose part of it is family pressures of having an actual wedding, but that shouldn't matter especially if we just want to be together in the moment.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Money again, though we can do something small of course right. A marriage just has to be official and not a big thing. I suppose part of it is family pressures of having an actual wedding, but that shouldn't matter especially if we just want to be together in the moment.
Financial reasons is not sufficient for conjugal. You will have to either establish common law or marry. If your ultimate concern is being able to work, the fastest way would be to marry and apply. Many US applicants apply outland because US outland apps are typically processed very quickly. You could continue to work in the US while you waited for the application to be processed.

Austb

May 30, 2019
Ok, thank you much for your help. You've given me a clearer path to be together with my partner.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

""""Income requirement

While there is no minimum income requirement for sponsoring a spouse, you guys will need to show how you plan to support yourselves in Canada without welfare.