+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal application denied

audree78

Jul 18, 2011
Hello,

I am hoping that someone who has been in the same position as me would respond to my inquiry. My application to sponsor my boyfriend as a conjugal partner was denied. The visa officer said he/she couldn't see any reason why my boyfriend and I could not cohabit or get married. So my question is this, if we get married and forward the pictures and licence to the appeal board would they go ahead and allow the appeal or would we have to wait to be assigned an ADR or a full hearing? I live in Toronto and just do not want to have to wait forever while going through the appeal process. The VO did not call into question the genuineness of our relationship. Thanks.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that your application was denied. :(

Unfortunately I am not a senior member here but...I think you will have to abandon your conjugal partner application and start over after you are married.
I don't see how you can basically `convert' a conjugal partner application that has been denied, into a spousal sponsorship application.

Don't worry; someone that knows for sure will surely post their answer to your question.

Good luck!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
audree78 said:
Hello,

I am hoping that someone who has been in the same position as me would respond to my inquiry. My application to sponsor my boyfriend as a conjugal partner was denied. The visa officer said he/she couldn't see any reason why my boyfriend and I could not cohabit or get married. So my question is this, if we get married and forward the pictures and licence to the appeal board would they go ahead and allow the appeal or would we have to wait to be assigned an ADR or a full hearing? I live in Toronto and just do not want to have to wait forever while going through the appeal process. The VO did not call into question the genuineness of our relationship. Thanks.
If there were no legal barriers to getting married or living together for 12 months, then you didn't qualify for conjugal.

I would just submit a brand new app from scratch as a married couple, if you will get married. Depending on your visa office that could be quicker than going through the whole appeals process.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I think I may have to go with Pongo on this. You may have to redo and resubmit a new application after you get married especially if the first application is denied based on not qualifying for conjugal relationship. It is best that you start fresh again anyway with new application. By getting married, your relationship is no longer conjugal relationship which was what your first application was based on. If you tried to tie it to your first application, it will only cause more headaches on you and CIC's in trying to sort it all out after the fact.

Screech339

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
Can I ask why you applied as conjugal?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What others have said. If you get married then you should abandon the conjugal application and submit a new application from scratch as a married couple. Getting married and then including this as evidence for your conjugal appeal won't work. If anything, it will prove that you don't meet the criteria of a conjugal couple and validate the refusal was appropriate.

scoobydoo33

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI-CONJUGAL PARTNER
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MAY 29, 2013
Doc's Request.
SEPTEMBER 19, 2013
AOR Received.
JUNE 18, 2013 : SA APPROVED
File Transfer...
JUNE 18, 2013
Med's Request
NOVEMBER 18, 2013
Med's Done....
NOVEMBER 20, 2013
Interview........
SEPTEMBER 19, 2013-PHONE INTERVIEW
Passport Req..
DECEMBER 3, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
DECEMBER 9, 2013
LANDED..........
MAY 31, 2014
audree78 said:
Hello,

I feel so sorry for you audree78... I guess I am one of the lucky conjugal partner successful application..if you've been denied I guess try to apply new after you get married, I think that's the best move you can do right now..

God Bless

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
audree78 said:
So my question is this, if we get married and forward the pictures and licence to the appeal board would they go ahead and allow the appeal or would we have to wait to be assigned an ADR or a full hearing? I live in Toronto and just do not want to have to wait forever while going through the appeal process. The VO did not call into question the genuineness of our relationship.
I have heard of people sending the Immigration Appeal Board documents showing why the reason they were denied was no longer valid, and the board agreeing and allowing the appeal. But the Canada Border Services Agency would also have to agree. Then the application is sent back for further processing. The problem is, the visa officer doing the reprocessing could reject the application for some other reason; and the reprocessing seems to take a long time. It is supposed to be expedited, but forum members who have won an appeal often report very long waits.

I would just get married and reapply. There is no guarantee that the appeal would be expedited just because you got married; they might insist it go to a full appeal, which in Toronto can take 2 years.

SAHIL SINGH

Mar 27, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2013
AOR Received.
16-05-2013
Med's Request
September 2016
Med's Done....
19-Feb-2013 Exp 5-Mar-2014
Interview........
19-Mar-2014 Rejected (Appealed June 2014)
Passport Req..
Old (20-06-2013) NEW - Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting (Hearing date is August 15th 2016) Succesfull
LANDED..........
Waiting
In which country your boyfriend lives?

manille

Dec 12, 2013
manila
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6/6/13
AOR Received.
6/22/13
File Transfer...
6/22/13
Med's Done....
3/25/13
Passport Req..
3/12/14
audree78 said:
Hello,

if you have been denied it means there is no barrier for you two to get married, usually conjugal is granted to same sex couples and couples in a country where there is no divorce available

if you can marry, refile your application as married, appeal is not an option because it usually takes 2 yrs and you are going to need to hire a lawyer for this, you can search and read on CANLII search it on google you will learn a lot from that site, hope this helps

Reactions: Tintin and Snowy