+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusions about dependent and who accompanies me for Canadian citizen family members (IMM 0008)

LauraLaura111

Apr 27, 2022
Hello everyone,
I am browsing for those answers for months now and just can not get a clear answer.
So I am reaching out to you.
Thank you in advance.

I am German citizen, living in Canada since last year June as a visitor (has been extended once and currently asked for renewal from June-December 2022).
My husband (born Canadian) living in Canada will sponsor me under the Family Class - In Canada.
We have a child together. She is born in Germany, has a German passport and we have already received the proof of citizenship. and applied for a Canadian Passport.

So my child is already a Canadian citizen, but officially she still lives with her mother (me) in Germany.

1. How should we declare that she officially moved to Canada now, as she needs no immigration as she is a Canadian?
2. Does she still need to pay 150$ dependent fee when I submit my sponsorship immigration papers?
3. Will I have to declare her everywhere as my dependent on Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)?
4. Will I have to declare my Canadian husband who is the sponsor and Canadian child, as a family members who accompanies me? As they will live with me, but they are already Canadians, it is confusing wording on the Canada Guide page.
5. Or should I say they don't who accompany me and write reason: they are already Canadian citizen
6.. On (IMM 008) How many family members are on this application. I wrote 3, me, my husband and child. They don't need immigration, but they are my family members, my child is my dependent A and they both who accompanying me?

7. Which residential address should I give, officially I still live in Germany but currently I live with my husband in Canada since June 2021. When I first write mailing address here in Canada, I can not select another country than Canada for the residential address, so I assume I this address is also my residential address, where I am living since one year.

8. The work permit will be directly sent with all the immigration papers or preferably online over my account?
9. Should I apply for open work permit and still give my companies details? or leave the details blank?
I would work for as a customer service employee for a Canadian company, right now I am still in maternity leave.

I know there are a lot of questions, but I just only find confusing answers, some people said I need to declare them, others don't. So I will need your help.
Thanks again.

Laura

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So my child is already a Canadian citizen, but officially she still lives with her mother (me) in Germany.

1. How should we declare that she officially moved to Canada now, as she needs no immigration as she is a Canadian?
2. Does she still need to pay 150$ dependent fee when I submit my sponsorship immigration papers?
3. Will I have to declare her everywhere as my dependent on Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)?
4. Will I have to declare my Canadian husband who is the sponsor and Canadian child, as a family members who accompanies me? As they will live with me, but they are already Canadians, it is confusing wording on the Canada Guide page.
5. Or should I say they don't who accompany me and write reason: they are already Canadian citizen
6.. On (IMM 008) How many family members are on this application. I wrote 3, me, my husband and child. They don't need immigration, but they are my family members, my child is my dependent A and they both who accompanying me?
Your child doesn't need to notify anyone, pay fees for immigraiton, or be included on IMM0008.

No-one should be on IMM0008 in your case except you as that form is application to become PR. Citizens and PRs cannot become PRs. You will disclose that you have your child and husband on the famil information form.

For the purposes of IMM0008, only one family member. If you're confused, you can just include a short letter of explanation: have not included husband and daughter because already citizens.

7. Which residential address should I give, officially I still live in Germany but currently I live with my husband in Canada since June 2021. When I first write mailing address here in Canada, I can not select another country than Canada for the residential address, so I assume I this address is also my residential address, where I am living since one year.
Canadian address.

9. Should I apply for open work permit and still give my companies details? or leave the details blank?
I would work for as a customer service employee for a Canadian company, right now I am still in maternity leave.
I don't understand. For open work permit, no need to indicate future employer. But I assume you have not been working in Canada so far?

Reactions: LauraLaura111

LauraLaura111

Apr 27, 2022
Thank you so much for your reply! It is highly appreciated and I will do it accordingly.

Regarding the open work permit, that is correct. I haven't worked in Canada yet, I just already have an future employer who is just waiting for my work permit that I am able to start. So it is recommend to just not give any company details?

And the work permit will be directly sent with all the immigration papers per mail, not over my online account (I have it because I had to apply for a visitor extension record)?

Thank you again and have a nice evening.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for your reply! It is highly appreciated and I will do it accordingly.

Regarding the open work permit, that is correct. I haven't worked in Canada yet, I just already have an future employer who is just waiting for my work permit that I am able to start. So it is recommend to just not give any company details?

And the work permit will be directly sent with all the immigration papers per mail, not over my online account (I have it because I had to apply for a visitor extension record)?

Thank you again and have a nice evening.
If you are sending the spousal sponsorship application via mail, then the OWP application is included with that. Don't apply online.

No company details. It's an open work permit.

Reactions: LauraLaura111