+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion on how long I can stay in Canada with my BOWP

Saeorl1

Dec 24, 2019
My original open work permit expires on April 15. I submitted my PR application on Jan 1. I submitted my BOWP application in early March.
I was granted the BOWP and I was given a pdf which says I can stay until July 5, or until I get a final decision on my PR application, whichever comes first.
Simple enough, but today I received a work permit in the post.

The expiry date on this work permit is March 2022. 1 year from now.

Does this mean the work permit is valid for a year, regardless of PR outcome?
So if I get denied PR, say, tomorrow... can I keep working with this 1 year work permit?

I'm so confused.

Diane Matthie

Feb 28, 2019
Inland
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-06-2019
AOR Received.
12-06-2019
LANDED..........
18-09-2021
My original open work permit expires on April 15. I submitted my PR application on Jan 1. I submitted my BOWP application in early March.
I was granted the BOWP and I was given a pdf which says I can stay until July 5, or until I get a final decision on my PR application, whichever comes first.
Simple enough, but today I received a work permit in the post.

The expiry date on this work permit is March 2022. 1 year from now.

Does this mean the work permit is valid for a year, regardless of PR outcome?
So if I get denied PR, say, tomorrow... can I keep working with this 1 year work permit?

I'm so confused.
I think the letter you get saying you can stay until July 5 is referring to your work permit application and not your PR application.

And yes you can work until your BWOP expires in the event your PR gets refused.

Saeorl1

Dec 24, 2019
I think the letter you get saying you can stay until July 5 is referring to your work permit application and not your PR application.

And yes you can work until your BWOP expires in the event your PR gets refused.
Ah yes I think you're right. The pdf I referred to was BEFORE I was granted the BOWP. Reading through it again, I believe you're right that it was referring to the BOWP application, not the PR application.

The pdf I received AFTER being granted does not mention July 5, or PR refusal, and basically states the same validity as the work permit I just received in the post, valid until next March.

This is awesome!

I'll call an immigration lawyer to be 100% certain, as I don't have any plans to break laws, especially immigration laws!

Thanks, Diane