+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusing Overseas Citizenship of India OCI

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
This question is for Indians only guys, I was contemplating if I have made a right decision to apply for Canadian citizenship, I must say after going through the process of OCI I really think I made THE right decision, India is such a vibrant country and theres a lot that you miss here.. but whoever came up with an idea of OCI and related paper work must be high on.... never mind!... back to where I was.. I will be eligible to apply for OCI in 3 weeks time after getting my Canadian Passport. What I have understood is you need to apply for surrender certificate once you obtain Canadian Passport - which for some ridiculous reasons is $128. my question is to all Indians - Ontario based is where do you see immigration category in COPR? I see my category on my permanent resident card but where is it mentioned in COPR? I am asking this because once you obtain surrender certificate after 2-3 weeks time you then apply for OCI and in check list it is asking to submit "Record of Landing (Applicable if born outside Canada):
o Immigration Category must be mentioned. If not, contact Canadian Immigration authorities"

Immigration category only mentioned in PR card, mine is PV2 - Provincial Nominee ON but this is not mentioned in COPR, I checked some sample images in google I didn't find the category listed, please help!

Thanks in advance!! :D

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
lifesocoool said:
This question is for Indians only guys, I was contemplating if I have made a right decision to apply for Canadian citizenship, I must say after going through the process of OCI I really think I made THE right decision, India is such a vibrant country and theres a lot that you miss here.. but whoever came up with an idea of OCI and related paper work must be high on.... never mind!... back to where I was.. I will be eligible to apply for OCI in 3 weeks time after getting my Canadian Passport. What I have understood is you need to apply for surrender certificate once you obtain Canadian Passport - which for some ridiculous reasons is $128. my question is to all Indians - Ontario based is where do you see immigration category in COPR? I see my category on my permanent resident card but where is it mentioned in COPR? I am asking this because once you obtain surrender certificate after 2-3 weeks time you then apply for OCI and in check list it is asking to submit "Record of Landing (Applicable if born outside Canada):
o Immigration Category must be mentioned. If not, contact Canadian Immigration authorities"

Immigration category only mentioned in PR card, mine is PV2 - Provincial Nominee ON but this is not mentioned in COPR, I checked some sample images in google I didn't find the category listed, please help!

Thanks in advance!! :D
It should be under "APPLICATION DETAILS" and "Category :".

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
Thanks Zardoz, I have this COPR, see sample - "http://www.bchousing.org/resources/Housing_Options/RAP/Supporting_docs/imm5292.pdf" but I still don't see Application Details and/or Category. ::)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
lifesocoool said:
Thanks Zardoz, I have this COPR, see sample - "http://www.bchousing.org/resources/Housing_Options/RAP/Supporting_docs/imm5292.pdf" but I still don't see Application Details and/or Category. ::)
That's because it is the older format of the COPR, or possibly a replacement.
The layout is completely different.

What is that value in field 19? I'm almost 100% certain it's the immigration category.

The current COPR looks like this

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
Thanks again Zardoz, I am going to check it from home what it says under field "19". Are you saying the one that I attached is a replacement COPR? This was the only COPR was issued to me when I entered Canada from Peace Bridge.. all this time I've had a replacement incorrect COPR?? Mine does not look at all like the one that you copied. :'( :'(

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
lifesocoool said:
Thanks again Zardoz, I am going to check it from home what it says under field "19". Are you saying the one that I attached is a replacement COPR? This was the only COPR was issued to me when I entered Canada from Peace Bridge.. all this time I've had a replacement incorrect COPR?? Mine does not look at all like the one that you copied. :'( :'(
Sorry, I have been researching for you and updated my previous post. You have the old format of the COPR.

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
Many thanks Zardoz will let know what it says under field "19" yes that's what I was issued in 2009 but 2009 does not seem to be that old. :-[

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
lifesocoool said:
Many thanks Zardoz will let know what it says under field "19" yes that's what I was issued in 2009 but 2009 does not seem to be that old. :-[
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob379.asp

It changed on February 4, 2012 apparently...

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
Oh wow.. the last thing I would want at this stage is Verification of Status if category is not mentioned (crossing my finger).. that wait is 6 months. It's hard to please Indian Consulate demands for this messy OCI nonsense. I hope they would accept my old COPR without any issues.

sazid

Star Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lifesocoool said:
Oh wow.. the last thing I would want at this stage is Verification of Status if category is not mentioned (crossing my finger).. that wait is 6 months. It's hard to please Indian Consulate demands for this messy OCI nonsense. I hope they would accept my old COPR without any issues.
Hi Lifesocool ,

The number 19 is your immigration category , at the back of old COPR it says what number 19 stands for. So it should not be a issue, they should accept your old COPR. just submit both the sides of COPR.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lifesocoool said:
Thanks Sazid, that's what I want to check when I get home what it says #19 in COPR. I hope it does.
i am guessing you have already surrendered your passport. can you verify if BLS kept your canadian passport when you applied for indian passport surrender? if yes, how long did they take to return it?

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
You guys are right!! field "19" does say the category - mine PV2 there. I can't believe I missed seeing it last night. Thanks guys

Ashra

Apr 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Oct-2013
AOR Received.
22-Nov-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with App ECAS(In Process): 29-Apr-2014
Med's Request
30-Apr-2014 RPRF Request : 30-Apr-2014
Med's Done....
03-May-2014 Med's Uploaded: 08-May-2014 RPRF Paid ......: 08-May-2014 ECAS(Medicals):17-May-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2014 ECAS(Decision): 24-May-2014 VO Change Req: 26-May-2014 VO Change Email: 16-Jun-2014 PP(For Stamping): 17-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-Jun-2014
LANDED..........
30-Sep-2014
Hey, can anyone share the latest CoPR template.

Would really appreciate your support.

Cheers