+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused -- Work permit extension when spouse PR is approved

elkapelka

Nov 27, 2021
Hello,

I'm a rejected refugee claimant and a work permit holder. My husband is a protected person and his PR was approved a few days ago. Me and the kids are dependents in his application. He uploaded our pictures and declared us in Canada and added our mailing address 2 days ago as per the instructions he received via email. Since then we haven't heard anything yet. His Ecas is "Decision Made" mine is still "In Process".
My work permit is expiring January 31, 2022. Should I apply to renew it? Was my PR approved too? Or is it only my husband's?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello,

I'm a rejected refugee claimant and a work permit holder. My husband is a protected person and his PR was approved a few days ago. Me and the kids are dependents in his application. He uploaded our pictures and declared us in Canada and added our mailing address 2 days ago as per the instructions he received via email. Since then we haven't heard anything yet. His Ecas is "Decision Made" mine is still "In Process".
My work permit is expiring January 31, 2022. Should I apply to renew it? Was my PR approved too? Or is it only my husband's?
Im not sure if you can extend your current work permit as you had negative decision. My understand is, if there is lapse of time between negative decision and no appeal was made, then the work permit become void ( I can be wrong ). Provided you applied as spouse with your husband whose decision has been made, i would buy a little bit of time, call immigration to inquire and where necessary apply GCMs notes against your UCi and Application number to see status of your application.

Reactions: elkapelka

elkapelka

Nov 27, 2021
Im not sure if you can extend your current work permit as you had negative decision. My understand is, if there is lapse of time between negative decision and no appeal was made, then the work permit become void ( I can be wrong ). Provided you applied as spouse with your husband whose decision has been made, i would buy a little bit of time, call immigration to inquire and where necessary apply GCMs notes against your UCi and Application number to see status of your application.
Thanks for the response.
I do not think my work permit is void as I'm still in Canada and need to work to provide for myself and my family. I haven't been instructed to leave the country yet. (I cannot leave myself, as our passports were seized and my kids' passports have since expired. Our home country won't renew them, that's 1 of the reasons why we claimed asylum in the first place and my husband is a protected person so he cannot apply for kids' passport renewal at the embassy).
I guess my best bet is to wait for a couple of weeks to see if I get ecopr, and to call IRCC if I don't by the end of the month.
Thank you.