+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confirmation of PR, medical expired, what's the landing process and how do I arrange it? British.

Mgallimore88

Jun 27, 2018
I've received my Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter and have read forums about the landing process , and there are still a few things I am not clear about. These are detailed below, but very briefly I need information about the landing procedure, and advice about an expired medical.

I discussed some other issues in a previous thread, but these are different questions. Here's the previous thread
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/passport-request-applied-in-canada-now-in-uk-medical-expired.644936/#post-8043331

As a reminder-
  • I submitted my application in June 2018, from within Canada, under Canadian Experience class, Express Entry
  • My medical exam was on 17th July 2018.
  • My working holiday visa expired and I left Canada for personal reasons rather than obtain a bridging visa.
  • I didn't hear anything for a long time and submitted many case specific enquiries after the first 6 months.
  • Jul 2019 increased activity from IRCC in the form of additional family information request form.
    PPR received 25th July 2019
  • CoPR letter received 20th August 2019 with a valid to date 11th October 2022.
  • The letter said Medical valid to 22nd July 2019.
  • The CoPR letter was posted to an address in Canada and forwarded on to me in the UK.
  • I submitted multiple Case Specific Enquiries to try and determine how long my medical was valid for, since my CoPR was issued after the medical was expired.
  • CIC requested that I return my CoPR letter to them so they could make an amendment. I returned the letter.
  • Received a new CoPR letter with amended dates on 3rd October 2019 with a valid to date 31st Dec 2019.
  • The new letter said Medical valid to 22nd July 2019 - same as before.
Questions about the landing:

1. If I fly into Canada with my CoPR and a passport, and an ETA tourist visa:
Can I book just any flight or do I need to wait for the Vancouver office to contact me with an appointment date for my landing?
Or
Do I need to book the flight then notify somebody at Vancouver Airport that I intend to complete my landing on that date?

2. Does anybody who had their medical extended remember whether their CoPR letter detailed the extension, or did you just have to assume it was extended? As you can read above, I attempted to find this information in a Case Specific Enquiry but the resulting action was that my CoPR was amended with a shorter valid-to date.

3. I believe I have the option to fly into Canada on a tourist visa and do a border run. I asked about this in a case specific enquiry and got the following advice:

You would need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before flying to Canada.

Once the applicant receives their Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) from a Canadian visa office and, if necessary, a permanent resident visa in their passport, they are invited to have these documents validated by an immigration officer at a local IRCC office in Canada or a port of entry (POE).

If they decide to go to a POE, they following steps are necessary:

• Leave and re-enter Canada,
    • this can be done by entering the U.S.* at a land border, by ferry or by flying out to any other country and back into Canada,
  • Inform the officer that they need to validate their Confirmation of Permanent Residence,
  • Show the following documents:
    • passport, travel or identity document (including secure visa counterfoil IMM 1346, if applicable),
    • Confirmation of Permanent Residence and instructions issued by the Canadian visa office,
    • proof of legal status in Canada, such as:
      • valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit or visitor record, or
      • proof of implied status, such as:
        • payment receipt,
        • copy or printout of paper or online extension application,
        • proof of mailing or online submission,
        • etc.,
    • (if applicable) all temporary resident documents in their possession, whether valid or not, and
    • (if applicable) CSQ (if they are settling in Québec).
To find the closest POE that offers the full range of immigration services, the applicant can visit the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) website.
As mentioned before, I left Canada just before my working holiday visa expired.
I can provide all of these documents apart from:
- valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit or visitor record
-proof of implied status

Does the ETA which i'll travel with count as one of these? Do I need to obtain any new documents?

4. In a separate Case Specific Enquiry I requested information on whether my medical was extended and I expressed my intention to travel to an international airport to activate my residency. This is the response:

We received your enquiry regarding the confirmation of your Permanent Resident (PR) status in Canada.

We are pleased to inform you that we have sent a request to your local office in Vancouver, British Columbia. They should contact you within 3 months in order to schedule your landing appointment.

To confirm your Permanent Resident status, please bring the following documents to the appointment (the original documents are required):

• Passport, travel or identity document (including the secure visa counterfoil (IMM 1346), if applicable),
  • Confirmation of PR (IMM 5688) and instructions issued by the office,
  • (If applicable) Any immigration document in your possession (whether valid or not),
  • (If applicable) Proofs that you are on implied status (i.e., you have applied to modify or extend your temporary resident status and no decision has been made), such as:
    • payment receipt,
    • printout of your online application or copy of your paper application,
    • proof of mailing,
    • etc.,
  • Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ).
My concern here is that if I wait up to three months that would put me in December when the flight prices are high, and it feels a little last minute because my copr expires on Dec 31st.

Another concern about arranging the landing inland is that In this post, the act of arranging a meeting at an inland visa office seemed to block one of the respondents' border run attempt:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/whats-the-best-way-to-complete-the-pr-landing-process.533893/#post-6588105

I would prefer to travel to Canada earlier and activate my residency as soon as possible.

I apologise- I know there is a lot in here. If anybody has the advice I need please reply and i'll clarify and questions.

Thanks,
Michael.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I've received my Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter and have read forums about the landing process , and there are still a few things I am not clear about. These are detailed below, but very briefly I need information about the landing procedure, and advice about an expired medical.

I discussed some other issues in a previous thread, but these are different questions. Here's the previous thread
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/passport-request-applied-in-canada-now-in-uk-medical-expired.644936/#post-8043331

As a reminder-
  • I submitted my application in June 2018, from within Canada, under Canadian Experience class, Express Entry
  • My medical exam was on 17th July 2018.
  • My working holiday visa expired and I left Canada for personal reasons rather than obtain a bridging visa.
  • I didn't hear anything for a long time and submitted many case specific enquiries after the first 6 months.
  • Jul 2019 increased activity from IRCC in the form of additional family information request form.
    PPR received 25th July 2019
  • CoPR letter received 20th August 2019 with a valid to date 11th October 2022.
  • The letter said Medical valid to 22nd July 2019.
  • The CoPR letter was posted to an address in Canada and forwarded on to me in the UK.
  • I submitted multiple Case Specific Enquiries to try and determine how long my medical was valid for, since my CoPR was issued after the medical was expired.
  • CIC requested that I return my CoPR letter to them so they could make an amendment. I returned the letter.
  • Received a new CoPR letter with amended dates on 3rd October 2019 with a valid to date 31st Dec 2019.
  • The new letter said Medical valid to 22nd July 2019 - same as before.
Questions about the landing:

1. If I fly into Canada with my CoPR and a passport, and an ETA tourist visa:
Can I book just any flight or do I need to wait for the Vancouver office to contact me with an appointment date for my landing?
Or
Do I need to book the flight then notify somebody at Vancouver Airport that I intend to complete my landing on that date?

2. Does anybody who had their medical extended remember whether their CoPR letter detailed the extension, or did you just have to assume it was extended? As you can read above, I attempted to find this information in a Case Specific Enquiry but the resulting action was that my CoPR was amended with a shorter valid-to date.

3. I believe I have the option to fly into Canada on a tourist visa and do a border run. I asked about this in a case specific enquiry and got the following advice:

You would need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before flying to Canada.

Once the applicant receives their Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) from a Canadian visa office and, if necessary, a permanent resident visa in their passport, they are invited to have these documents validated by an immigration officer at a local IRCC office in Canada or a port of entry (POE).

If they decide to go to a POE, they following steps are necessary:

• Leave and re-enter Canada,
    • this can be done by entering the U.S.* at a land border, by ferry or by flying out to any other country and back into Canada,
  • Inform the officer that they need to validate their Confirmation of Permanent Residence,
  • Show the following documents:
    • passport, travel or identity document (including secure visa counterfoil IMM 1346, if applicable),
    • Confirmation of Permanent Residence and instructions issued by the Canadian visa office,
    • proof of legal status in Canada, such as:
      • valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit or visitor record, or
      • proof of implied status, such as:
        • payment receipt,
        • copy or printout of paper or online extension application,
        • proof of mailing or online submission,
        • etc.,
    • (if applicable) all temporary resident documents in their possession, whether valid or not, and
    • (if applicable) CSQ (if they are settling in Québec).
To find the closest POE that offers the full range of immigration services, the applicant can visit the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) website.
As mentioned before, I left Canada just before my working holiday visa expired.
I can provide all of these documents apart from:
- valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit or visitor record
-proof of implied status

Does the ETA which i'll travel with count as one of these? Do I need to obtain any new documents?

4. In a separate Case Specific Enquiry I requested information on whether my medical was extended and I expressed my intention to travel to an international airport to activate my residency. This is the response:

We received your enquiry regarding the confirmation of your Permanent Resident (PR) status in Canada.

We are pleased to inform you that we have sent a request to your local office in Vancouver, British Columbia. They should contact you within 3 months in order to schedule your landing appointment.

To confirm your Permanent Resident status, please bring the following documents to the appointment (the original documents are required):

• Passport, travel or identity document (including the secure visa counterfoil (IMM 1346), if applicable),
  • Confirmation of PR (IMM 5688) and instructions issued by the office,
  • (If applicable) Any immigration document in your possession (whether valid or not),
  • (If applicable) Proofs that you are on implied status (i.e., you have applied to modify or extend your temporary resident status and no decision has been made), such as:
    • payment receipt,
    • printout of your online application or copy of your paper application,
    • proof of mailing,
    • etc.,
  • Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ).
My concern here is that if I wait up to three months that would put me in December when the flight prices are high, and it feels a little last minute because my copr expires on Dec 31st.

Another concern about arranging the landing inland is that In this post, the act of arranging a meeting at an inland visa office seemed to block one of the respondents' border run attempt:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/whats-the-best-way-to-complete-the-pr-landing-process.533893/#post-6588105

I would prefer to travel to Canada earlier and activate my residency as soon as possible.

I apologise- I know there is a lot in here. If anybody has the advice I need please reply and i'll clarify and questions.

Thanks,
Michael.

1. You can book whatever flight you want. You don't notify anyone.

2. The COPR is valid beyond the medical expiry, so the medical has been extended.

3. Why would you delay your landing to do a border run instead of just landing when you enter? That makes no sense.

4. You can land when you enter.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Reactions: Mgallimore88

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Agree with above you are way over thinking things Just book a flight to Vancouver with your documents in hand, passport , Copr and customs declaration etc, tell the CBSA officer you are making a PR landing, join the likely queue with other new PRs, get processed, then all done you will be a PR .

Forget all the other stuff about entering as a visitor and doing a border run or even attempting an inland landing which by the way might mean waiting a few months for an appointment .

Just get it done on arrival at the airport no appointments necessary.

Keep in mind that you will need a Canadian address for your PR card. Also if you are only doing a soft landing and not able to either provide a Canadian address or even if you have an address a friend or relative to courier the card to you then you will need to apply for a PRTD to fly back to Canada.

Once you are a PR then any ETA you had before will become void hence need either a PR card or PRTD to fly back to Canada

Last edited:

Mgallimore88

Jun 27, 2018
Agree with above you are way over thinking things Just book a flight to Vancouver with your documents in hand, passport , Copr and customs declaration etc, tell the CBSA officer you are making a PR landing, join the likely queue with other new PRs, get processed, then all done you will be a PR .

Forget all the other stuff about entering as a visitor and doing a border run or even attempting an inland landing which by the way might mean waiting a few months for an appointment .

Just get it done on arrival at the airport no appointments necessary.

Keep in mind that you will need a Canadian address for your PR card. Also if you are only doing a soft landing and not able to either provide a Canadian address or even if you have an address a friend or relative to courier the card to you then you will need to apply for a PRTD to fly back to Canada.

Once you are a PR then any ETA you had before will become void hence need either a PR card or PRTD to fly back to Canada

That's useful information - thank you for the reply. And I'm really grateful for the link to BritishExpats.com - i didn't know about that site.

I booked my flight and I travel on Friday.

I am flying to Vancouver with a 20 hour layover in Toronto. I intend to activate my PR in Toronto then visit a friend in the city before returning to
Toronto airport to fly to Vancouver.
I'm stopping in Vancouver for two weeks then returning to the UK - probably without my PR card unless it arrives in that short time. I'll return in April 2020 to move over for good.

I just wanted to check -

1) Once I complete my landing in Toronto can I board another domestic flight to Vancouver? What paperwork would I need? At this point I wouldn't have had time to obtain a PR card and my eta would be invalidated by having activated my PR.

2) I believe I'll need to obtain a Permanent Resident Travel Document once I return to the UK, and this will enable me to travel back to Canada.

3) I'm going to take copies of my bank statements for the last 6 months as proof of funds - would this be checked each time I enter Canada?

Thank you for any answers.

Mike.

Mgallimore88

Jun 27, 2018
1. You can book whatever flight you want. You don't notify anyone.

2. The COPR is valid beyond the medical expiry, so the medical has been extended.

3. Why would you delay your landing to do a border run instead of just landing when you enter? That makes no sense.

4. You can land when you enter.
Hi Canuck,

Just wanted to say thank you for your reply - I fly on Friday.

Thanks for your help!
Mike.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
1) Once I complete my landing in Toronto can I board another domestic flight to Vancouver? What paperwork would I need? At this point I wouldn't have had time to obtain a PR card and my eta would be invalidated by having activated my PR.
No special paperwork needed for an internal Canadian flight, your passport and airline tickets is everything you need. Forget about the ETA, internal Canadian flight!

2) I believe I'll need to obtain a Permanent Resident Travel Document once I return to the UK, and this will enable me to travel back to Canada.
If you don't have your PR card, then yes, PRTD required. UNLESS you decide to fly to a US airport and cross the border by land, in which case the stamped copy CoPR is fine as CBSA can check your status on their systems at the border.

3) I'm going to take copies of my bank statements for the last 6 months as proof of funds - would this be checked each time I enter Canada?
No. Once you become PR it does not matter, you are PR - end of story.